The New Zealand Wars: A History of the Maori Campaigns and the Pioneering Period: Volume II: The Hauhau Wars, (1864–72)
Sketch by Colonel W. B. Messenger, 1864] — The Urenui Redoubt, North Taranaki
Sketch by Colonel W. B. Messenger, 1864]
The Urenui Redoubt, North Taranaki
This redoubt at Urenui was built in 1864, and occupied by Captain Good and a party of friendly Maoris. It was a frontier garrison-post for many years. A peculiar feature of the work was a small bastion built in the form of a projecting balcony and carried out on timber brackets, as shown; this was used as a sentry-post.