The New Zealand Wars: A History of the Maori Campaigns and the Pioneering Period: Volume II: The Hauhau Wars, (1864–72)
Sketch by Colonel W. B. Messenger, 1871] — Taranaki Bush Rangers' Redoubt at Wai-iti
Sketch by Colonel W. B. Messenger, 1871]
Taranaki Bush Rangers' Redoubt at Wai-iti
After the Pukearuhe massacre in 1869 two redoubts were built in the Wai-iti Valley, close to the sea, about two miles south of Pukearuhe. One, shown in this drawing, was garrisoned by a company of Taranaki Bush Rangers; the other, on the edge of the flat overlooking a deep valley near the beach, was occupied by a detachment of Armed Constabulary. These posts and Pukearuhe, with the redoubt at Urenui forming an inner guard, protected the northern part of Taranaki. In 1871 Sub-Inspectors Capel and Crapp were the officers of the Armed Constabulary force at Wai-iti.