The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
Wellington Suburbs — (Exclusive Of Places On Railway Line)
(Exclusive Of Places On Railway Line).
What may be termed the immediate suburbs of Wellington—that is, those not situated on either line of railway—have, for convenience, been grouped under the above heading. The pictures and particulars given below will be sufficient to prove rather too conclusively that in the matter of suburbs Wellington is placed at a decided disadvantage as compared with the other large towns of the Colony. That the present disparity will not long continue is fairly assured. Already movements are on foot with the object of connecting the suburbs with the city and each other by an up-to-date electric tram service; and the rapid increase in their population must soon accentuate their importance. Easy access is all that is really needed to ensure the very rapid progress of the suburbs. They are all healthy in a high degree; but the hilly nature of Wellington's surroundings has kept many residents in the city who would otherwise have most gladly availed themselves of the many advantages to be derived from living beyond the smoke and noise of the busy Capital. Land is steadily rising in value in all the suburbs; and those who are in a position to purchase and occupy will find that class of investment far from undesirable. Dr. A. K. Newman is the Member for Wellington Suburbs, which district, however, includes a much larger area than is described in this section. Particulars and portrait of Dr. Newman, M.H.R., are given on page 262 of this volume. The suburbs through which the East and the West Coast railways run are treated in the two following sections in the order of their geographical positions.
Borough Of Karori.
Karori is a suburban borough about three miles west from Wellington. Access to Karori is by road either from Molesworth Street by Hill Street, or by Aro Street through Mitchelltown. The former route is that used by the coaches, of which three lines are running. The Postal and Telephone Bureau is at Mr. W. F. Newcomb's store: Mails arrive and close twice every day. There is also a letter box at the cemetery gate, about half way to Wellington. Karori is certainly one of the most attractive residental localities around Wellington. The road leading to it from the northern end of the City is wide and well kept, and passes through pleasing scenery. Winding its way with an easy up-grade, it passes the Botanical Gardens on the north side, and after many turns through natural bush and around rocky faces, it leads into open agricultural country about two miles out. On the northern side of this hill, and on the right of the road, is the cemetery, which is now largely used, and is under the control of the Corporation of Wellington. Karori is best known by its pleasure gardens—the property of Mr. W. H. Young—which attract hundreds of visitors on holidays. Since the creation of the borough, a great deal of money has been spent on improving the roads and giving better access to the various sections, with the result that building has gone on briskly and the population has about doubled in five years. There are two churches—St. Mary's (Anglican) and the new Wesleyan Church—Which are referred to herein. Cricket and football clubs exist in the borough, a capital cricket ground having been secured. A useful public library is open on Monday nights under the care of Mr. W. H. Young, as librarian.
The Borough of Karori was created in 1891. Previously it was a part of the Hutt County, being a portion of the Karori-Makara Road Board. The borough is not sub-divided into wards. Of the six councillors one-third retire from office every year. The first mayor of the borough was Mr. Stephen Lancaster. The mayor (1896) is Mr. R. C. Bulkley, the well-known surgeon dentist of Wellington; and the present councillors are: Messrs. S. Lancaster, H. Dryden, C. Dasent, F. W. Lewer, J. F. Spiers and E. Platt. Mr. W. F. England occupies the position of borough clerk, and Mr. H. Bradnock is ranger and poundkeeper. The annual revenue of the Borough is about £500, raised by a rate of fifteen-sixteenths of a penny in the pound on the capital value. The Council meets on the third Tuesday in each month in the town schoolroom.
Karori Public School is centrally situated in the borough. The building, which contains three rooms, is of the usual design, and built in wood. There are 150 children on the roll, ranging from the infant's classes to Standard VII, the average attendance being about 120. Pupils from the school have gained scholarships at different times, and in 1894 the school had the credit of claiming the pupil who was first on the list for thè Wanganui College Scholarship. A side school at South Karori, opened in 1886, page 797 relieves the pressure at the main school, and is a great convenience to the settlers there. The attendance at the side school numbers about thirty scholars, from the fifth standard downwards, who are examined at the main school. The teaching staff at Karori consists of Mr. H. H. Dyer, headmaster; Miss Locket, first assistant; Miss Donald, second assistant in charge at South Karori; and Miss Young, third assistant.
Mr. Henry Hardwicke Dyer, Headmaster of the Karori Public School, was born in India and educated in England. He holds a C1 certificate under the Board, and has been continuously engaged in teaching for twenty-one years, during which time many of his pupils have done credit to his careful training. For seven years he occupied the position of headmaster at the Patea High School, and for the last fourteen years he has been headmaster of the Karori School, enjoying the esteem of both parents and children for his kindly ways and devoted attention to his important duties.
St. Mary's Anglican Church, Karori, is a wooden structure with a small churchyard surrounding it, the parsonage being almost adjoining. There is seating accommodation for 140 worshippers, regular services being conducted morning and evening on Sundays. The Rev. Alexander Dasent is the curate, and Messrs. W. H. Young and R. Caldwell churchwardens.
Rev. Alexander Dasent, the Curate of St. Mary's, Karori, is one of the oldest Episcopalian clergymen in New Zealand. He is the son of the late Attorney-General of the Isle of St. Vincent, and was born in the West Indies in 1819, having been ordained priest in 1813. During his thirty-three year's service in the Colony, he has been stationed in different parts of New Zealand, and has founded many churches. The rev. gentleman has also charge of St. Mathias', Makara.
Wesley Church, Karori, a neat wooden building lately erected, occupies a prominent position in the centre of the borough, services being conducted by supplies from Wellington twice each Sunday and on Tuesday evenings every week.
The Karori Pleasure Grounds are situated about a quarter of a mile to the south of the State School. Nestling among the hills, the gardens are protected alike from the cold of the prevailing winter winds and the heat of the summer sun. Although it is within the last two or three years only that they have been brought prominently before the notice of the public, these gardens are by no means a new institution. Their age may be inferred by the fact that a tree is pointed out to the visitor as having been planted by Sir George Grey in 1868. About three years ago the present proprietor, Mr. W. H. Young, acquired the property from Mr. Donald, who had owned it for many years. Under the new regime the gardens have been greatly improved, and now form one of the most pleasant spots near Wellington. The property consists of thirty acres, of which fifteen compose the pleasure grounds, while the remainder are open fields. A pleasant surprise awaits the visitor as he enters at the eastern gate and makes his way towards the house. On one side the path is planted with a holly hedge, and on the other flowers abound in endless profusion. Entering the house to rest after his walk or drive from town, the visitor may refresh himself with the good things of the season. Having satisfied the claims of the inner man, the traveller may now explore the other parts of the garden. From the house, which occupies a central position, the ground towards the western gate suddenly declines for about fifty yards, and thence stretches a flat for some distance. On this flat, fish ponds, the lake, and the croquet and tennis courts meet the eye of the visitor. The tennis courts, which are always well patronised in summer, form one of the most pleasing features of the garden. Many residents in town look forward with delight to Saturday afternoon, when they may take a trip to the gardens and enjoy a game of tennis. It is no uncommon sight to see several parties waiting their turn for the use of the courts. A short distance from these the lake is situated, on which a boat is always ready for those who wish to use it. The northern portion of the gardens is intersected with beautifully shaded walks, on the sides of which are seats for the convenience of the public. In these cool places may be obtained such rest from the summer sun as would have satisfied the heart of the poet when he sighed for the valleys of the fabled Hæmus. On the south side there are also many pleasant walks and summer houses. Here, too, are the swings and other means of amusement for children. Having seen the many sights of the gardens, the visitor may, before returning home, obtain an excellent tea at the house; and, as flowors are always in abundance, may if he wishes, take a bouquet to town with him. It must not be supposed, however, that the proprietor's functions are exhausted with the entertainment of day visitors. On the contrary, provision is made for honeymoon parties and others who wish to take a longer holiday at the gardens For anyone in need of a complete rest, no better place could be found. Here the invalid may enjoy the fresh bracing air of the country, and at the same time be within easy access of the town. Coaches run between Wellington and Karori, and the gardens are some three or four hundred yards from the coach line. Mrs. Young and her family do all in their power to make the Karori Pleasure Grounds a thoroughly agreeable resort for all classes.
Dryden, Henry, Restaurant Keeper, Karori Refreshment Rooms, Karori. Established 1891.
Mansfield, J., Monumental Mason, Karori.
Page, Henry, Storckeeper, Karori. Established 1857.
Spiers, J. F., Coach Proprietor, Karori.
Walker, George, Shoeing and General Smith, Karori. Established 1890.
Wilson, Joseph, Butcher, Karori. Established 1895.
The Melrose Borough Council, which was incorporated on the 5th March, 1888, has jurisdiction over a large district, which previously consisted of Nos. 2, 3, 4, and 5 Wards of the late Kilbirnie Road District, and extends from the Botanical Gardens round the City of Wellington to Oriental Bay, including Upland Farm, and the townships of Mitchelltown, Taitville, Brooklyn, Vogeltown, Island Bay, Melrose, Kilbirnie, and Roseneath; the entire district forming a kind of horse-shoe round the City. The members of the Council comprise Messrs. John Collins (Mavor), G. H. Baylis, William Brunskill, C. T. Browne, George Key, James Wishart, Robert Tait, George Webb, S. F. Wright, and F. J. W. Fear. The area of the district is estimated at 3962 acres, and the population at 1680, the number of ratepayers being 536. There are 336 buildings in the borough, while the total number of rateable properties is 600. The borough is divided into three wards, namely, Kilbirnie, Island Bay, and Ohiro. The general rate is fifteen-sixteenths of a penny, and the hospital and charitable aid rate one-fifth of a penny, on the capital value of the district. which is £218,753.
His Worship the Mayor, Mr. John Collins, J.P., who has been a prominent citizen in Wellington for twenty-two years, occupies the Melrose mayoral chair for the second consecutive term. Mr. Collins claims Hampstead Heath, near London, as his birthplace. As a youth he was put to learn the handicraft of a compositor at the printing establishment of Messrs. Woodfall and Kinder, Old Bailey, London, where he remained for several years. This occupation proving monotonous, he entered the Royal Navy, and in 1859 rounded Cape Horn on H.M.S. “Clio.” Four years later, after a cruise in the South Pacific, the men were paid off at Sheerness, and Mr. Collins returned to his native place, where he married. In 1873 the subject of this sketch arrived in Wellington, accompanied by his family, with the intention of settling in New Zealand. Mr. Collins has ever taken an active part in the temperance crusade since his advent—in the Order of Rechabites he has occupied the chief chairs, and has cheerfully given up his time to further the interests of the local Prohibition League and the New Zealand Alliance, of which latter body he was one of the inaugurators, and now sits as a member of its executive. In connection with local charitable and public institutions, Mr. Collins has shown his zeal—for several years as a trustee of the Wellington Hospital and Benevolent Institutions, and for twelve years in Kilbirnie and Melrose local bodies. As a churchman, he belongs to the Baptist denomination, and was one of the few who assisted in the foundation of the Vivian Street Church.
Mr. William James Foster, Town Clerk, Treasurer, Valuator, Collector of Rates, Engineer, Inspector of Nuisances, and Returning Officer for the Mehose Borough, and Clerk and Treasurer to the Seatoun Road Board, was born at Kensington, London, in 1850, his parents removing into the County of Kent in 1857. Since leaving school he has studied closely, always bent upon improving himself in his odd time. Mr. Foster was brought up to the trade of steam brick manufacturer at the works of the Burham Brick, Lime, and Cement Company, and the Medway Gault Brick Company, in Kent. After ten years spent at the above work, he was employed for a time at H.M. Steam Cooperage at Deptford Royal Victualling Yards, and he was also engaged at J. and W. Dudgeon's Iron Ship Yards, Milwall, Maudeslay, Sons and Field, shipbuilders and engineers, and the Bessemer Steel Works, East Greenwich, spending altogether about three years in the iron trade. He was married at Eastbourne, Sussex, in 1874. For some time prior to leaving England, Mr. Foster carried on business as a general storekeeper. He came to New Zealand in 1875 per ship “Mataura,” and landed in Nelson, from whence he proceeded to Blenheim, Marlborough, where he resided for two years, undertaking road contracts and general work. At the end of this period he removed to Wellington, where for some time he was engaged in contracting and brick-making, and where he afterwards went into business as a manufacturer of cordials and temperance drinks. He also carried on a dairy business for some time. All this time Mr. Foster was gradually improving his position and adding to his knowledge and experience, qualifying himself to undertake the inspection and construction of engineering works, etc. He studied at the Technical School for some time, and was successful in passing the local examinations in perspective and geometrical drawing. In 1884 he first became connected with the Kilbirnie Road District, and upon the proclamation of the Melrose Borough was appointed town clerk and returning officer by the Governor, and re-appointed at the first meeting of the Council. From that time he has gradually worked up to his present position. He has done a great deal of work in the district, and continues to lead a very busy life. Mr. Foster also fills the position of Secretary to the Mitchelltown School Committee. His eldest son, who is nineteen years of age, and is apprenticed to engineering at Mr. Seagar's foundry, has been studying at the Technical School for some time. He has been successful in passing the examinations in geometry and perspective, and has also taken the South Kensington certificate for mechanical drawing.
Berhampore, a postal district immediately south of Riddiford Street, Wellington South, is in the borough of Melrose. It is approached by road—a continuation of Adelaide Road—Newtown. Coaches to Island Bay pass through the district three times each way daily, the city trams reaching a point only ten minutes' walk from the locality every ten minutes. Mails are sent twice daily to the sub-office at Mr. Mainwaring's house, closing there morning and afternoon. A new school has recently been erected in the district.
Brooklyn, a postal district to the south west of Wellington, is part of the borough of Melrose. The district comprises the settlement on the hilltops above Ohiro, access from the City being by the Ohiro Road from Wordsworth Street. There is a postoffice and telephone bureau at Mrs. Ferkin's store, Ohiro Road, and mails are received every morning, the delivery of letters in the district being from the general post-office. The public buildings are the Brooklyn Hall and the Baptist Church on the Ohiro Road.
Fenkins, Mrs., Storekeeper, Ohiro Road, Brooklyn.
Luxton, William, Butcher, Brocklyn.
Smith, Mrs., Storekeeper, Brocklyn.
Jackson, Wm. M. Venetian Blind Maker, Brocklyn.
Island Bay is a settlement four miles south of Wellington, and forms a ward of the borough of Melrose. It is approached from Adelaide Road, South Wellington. There are no postal arrangements, but a telephone bureau has been established at the Island Bay Hotel. The place is a summer holiday resort for City residents, and the houses are mostly unoccupied in winter.
Island Bay Hotel (Thomas C. Watson, proprietor), Island Bay.
Kilbirnie is a suburb of Wellington and part of the borough of Melrose. The township of Kilbirnie lies in that little valley which has its head at the south side of Mt. Victoria signal station, and its outlet on the south-western corner of Evans Bay. It is reached by tram to Newtown, from which it can be reached on foot in fifteen minutes, there being a good metalled road—a continuation of Constable Street. The township is growing rapidly, and promises to be a favourite seaside resort. There are public salt-water baths and a private bathing ground. Boats are also available. The public recreation grounds presented by the late Mr. Crawford are close to the public baths. There is a hall and pleasure gardens near by. Three churches—Presbyterian, Episcopalian and Roman Catholic—have been erected, and regular Methodist services are held in the page 800 school. The post office and telephone bureau are at Mr. J. P. Jorgensen' store, Charles Street, the mails being delivered by a carrier from the City daily. Ample accommodation for visitors is provided at the local hotel, where there is also a livery and bait Stable. Kilbirnie has also a cemetery. The Kilbirnle public baths, which cost over £200, are on land given by the late Mr. Crawford, the control being vested in a committee of management appointed every five years by the residents.
Kilbirnie Public School is centrally situated in the township. The building is of wood and iron, containing two rooms. It was erected about 1880, and the attendance has steadily increased. The number of children on the roll is 140, the average attendance being 111. The teaching staff is as follows:—Headmaster, Mr. Geo. S. M. McDermid; mistress, Miss Boulcott: pupil teachers, Miss McDermid and Miss Oswyn, B.A. The usual standards are included in the course of instruction at this school, which has a good record. In 1895 its pupils secured six out of the fifty technical scholarships offered by the Wellington Education Board.
Mr. George S. M. McDermid, Headmaster of the Kilbirnie Public School, was born in Glendermid, near Port Chalmers, Otago, in 1861. His parents, who were among the earliest settlers in Otago, came to the Colony in 1848 in the ship “Philip Laing,” and settled in the place which has since borne their name. Mr. McDermid's father died in 1877, and his mother ten years later. The subject of this sketch first attended school at Glendermid, but gaining a scholarship, he went to the Boys' High School, Dunedin. Here his career as a scholar was one of the most brilliant on the records of the school. He first distinguished himself by winning the Dunedin Chamber of Commerce silver medal for arithmetic in 1875. To this he added Webb's prize for writing, the silver medal for general excellence in drill as lieutenant of the cadet corps, and in 1878 he secured the Chamber of Commerce gold medal as dux on the modern side of the school. He was one of the winners of Tewsley's special prize of ten guineas for writing, arithmetic, and precis-writing, the competition being open to all the Dunedin schools. In 1873 Mr. McDermid matriculated, and subsequently attended the Otago University, taking his first B.A. section in 1880, after which he discontinued studying for a time. In 1887 he was appointed temporarity to be second assistant at Thorndon Public School, Wellington. The following year he was appointed h admaster at Kaiwaiwai, where he remained six years. During this team he instituted tree-planting by the children. He was appointed in 1894 to the Kilbirnie School. Mr. McDermid is married, and has two children, his wife being the youngest daughter of Mr. William Nicols, an old settler in Featherston. As a member of the Kilbirnie page 801 Cricket Club, of the Wairarapa Jockey Club, and of the Wellington Kennel Club, he takes an interest in sport and kindred matters. During his residence in Kilbirnie Mr. McDermid has brought about the formation of the Kilbirnie School Library, the Debating Society, and the Musical Society, of the last of which he is President.
Topp, John B., Jun., Pleasure Boat Proprietor, Kilbirnie. The facilities for bathing and boating are among the most attractive features of Kilbirnio. This is largely due to the enterprise of Mr. Topp, who has gene to a great deal of trouble and expense to fit up one of the most complete seaside pleasure-boat and bathing establishments in the Wellington district. After securing the lease of some 200 feet of the foreshore, Mr. Topp erected a boatshed 25 feet by 40 feet, and two cottages, which latter are neat in design and comfortably finished. The fireplaces are furnished with patent heating stoves invented by Mr. Topp. These stoves are of cast-iron, size, 2 feet by 8 inches, and are so constructed that very little fuel is required to heat two rooms. They are placed in a double chimney, having a face in each room, and may be worked from either side. Besides the boatshed and cottages, a space 45 feet by 65 feet is to be occupied by bathing rooms, which are to be erected alongside the enclosed bathing ground. There is a large fleet of boats, all new and varying in size. Mr. Topp intends to erect a landing stage and establish a steam launch service to the City. Everything will be done for the convenience of those who desire to visit this attractive summer resort. The suitability of Evans' Bay for boating is well known in the City, and with the arrangements provided, the place is likely to become exceedingly popular. Mr. Topp, who is a married man, was born in Capetown, South Africa, and has been in New Zealand since 1865. He is a plumber by trade, and worked for eight years at the Wellington Gasworks and for five years under other employers before starting in business for himself in 1890. Mr. Topp's town office is in Allen Street. He takes an interest in pastimes, and was the promoter and first captain of the Kilbirnie Cricket Club, of which he is still [unclear: a] playing member.
Burke, James, Woolscourer, Kilbirnie. Established 1869.
Hansen, H. F. L., Storekeeper. Established 1895.
Heginbotham, J. A., Kilbirnie Tea Gardens, Kilbirnie.
Jorgenson, J. P., Storekeeper, Kilbirnie. Post Office and Telephone Bureau.
Kilbirnie Hotel (F. J. Preston, proprietor), Kilbirnie. Established 1890.
Makara, an agricultural settlement and school district in the Hutt County, is situated about five miles west of Karori by a good road. About thirty families live in the settlement, the page 802 site of which was formerly a dense bush, now nearly all cleared and in cultivation. Near the settlement there are traces of one of the most formidable Maori pahs that existed in the province, and which is said to have supplied 500 fighting men to assist the chief Rangiatea in his conflict with the British in 1846. It is noteworthy that the principal settlers now at Makara fought with the Colonial Forces against Rangiatea and the other chiefs of his time. The Makara Postal and Telephone Bureau is located at Mrs. Longhurst's house in the centre of the district. Mails close at the Bureau on Tuesday and Friday nights, and arrive there on Wednesdays and Saturdays. The churches are the Anglican (St. Mathias) and the Roman Catholic. Other denominations hold services in the schoolroom. There is a public library in the settlement containing over 1000 volumes.
Makara Public School is a wooden building accommoling about sixty children, with an average attendance of forty, the standards being from one to six. The school has always taken a creditable position when its pupils have competed with those of other schools for scholarships. The teachers are Misses Balliugall (mistress) and Hawkins.
Miss Mary Ballingall, Headmistress of the Makara Public School who holds a D2 certificate, was born in Burnt Island, Fifeshire, Scotland. Primarily educated at North Leith, and trained at Murray House Free Church Training College, Edinburgh, she has had considerable Scotch and Colonial experience as a teacher.
Melrose, after which the Borough of which it forms a part was named, is likely to become an attractive marine suburb. It adjoins Newtown Park, and lies between Island Bay and Lyell Bay, extending to the sea beach along which passes the recently formed road known as the Queen's Drive. The area of Melrose, including roads, is 560 acres, which has been subdivided into sections of from half-an-acre to twenty acres in size. The lots afford excellent variety of hill and dale, and from most points splendid views are obtainable. It is not surprising that the ground is being rapidly taken up, both for seaside residences and for paddocks with a view to future use. Melrose is watered by numerous springs, and combines every advantage for a residential suburb. It is owned by the Melrose proprietors: Messrs. N. Reid, G. H. Luxford, R. Davies, H. M. Hayward, Mrs. Macdonald, Hon. W. J. M. Larnach, C.M.G., and the trustees in the estates of the late Mr. R. M. Greenfield and the Hon. Sir P. A. Buckley, K.C.M.G.
Mr. George Henry Luxford, J.P., one of the proprietors of the Melrose estate, is one of the oldest colonists still living in Wellington, where he arrived in March, 1840, per ship “Adelaide.” Born in Eastbourne, Sussex, England, in 1826, he left his native land in 1839, with his parents and other relatives, numbering over a score. Although the “Adelaide” was the largest ship of the five that conveyed the early fathers, she made the longest passage. On her arrival, the settlers consulted as to the advisability of changing the site of the settlement, owing to the floods at Brittania (now Petone). Mr. Luxford, who had hurt his leg and was the only male passenger left on the “Adelaide,” saw the first cargo landed on Pipitea Point, which had just been settled on in preference to the original site. The land now occupied by streets and houses and gardens, and the bare hills beyond, were at that time densely overgrown by scrub and bush. Mr. Luxford endured the handship incidental to the lot of pioneers of Wellington, and engaged in business of almost every kind. At the time of the Maori disturbance of 1846, when Te Rauparaha was captured, Mr. Luxford was engaged in Porirua Harbour, conveying stores to the troops in an open boat, with a native crew, in which he was constantly in danger. Afterwards he joined the militia, becoming a lieutenant, and serving actively for many years. Mr. Luxford subsequently did a great deal to develop the country districts. He had several farms in the Wairarapa, where he was known as a successful grazier. Later on, he sold out his properties, and transferred his interests to the neighbourhood of Palmerston North, where he is still a large landowner. He made the first reclamation from the sea in Wellington, at the back of premises then held by him in Willis Street. For many years he held valuable contracts to supply the military with food of all kinds. It is somewhat singular to chronicle that Mr. Luxford, up to the time of writing, resided on the same town acre which he purchased in Willis Street in 1844. He has never left New Zealand since arriving as described above, and has not been away from the city for a longer period than three months at any one time. In 1847, Mr. Luxford was married to a daughter of the late Captain George P. Smith, of the Imperial Army. She died in 1864, leaving four sons and a daughter, the last of whom is deceased. The eldest son, Mr. W. L. Luxford, is manager of the Palmerston North Timber Company, the second and fourth are farmers at Awapuni and Aroua Bridge respectively, and the third is a banker at Temuka. In April, 1865, Mr. Luxford married a second time. His daughter by this marriage is Mrs. H. M. Hayward, of Melrose. The family of Luxford has increased fully five times since arrival. Mr. Luxford is hale and hearty, and may long live to enjoy the fruits of his early labour.
Mitchelltown is that portion of Wellington City which extends up the steep gully west from Upper Willis Street. The road passing through it to Karori is a continuation of Aro Street. During recent years building has gone on rapidly in this part, and the place has now a population of many hundreds. Mails are delivered daily from the General Post Office, and there is a posting pillar at Carmody's store.
Mitchelltown Infants' School, which was opened in 1894, is a two-roomed wooden structure of modern design. The school, which was erected to relieve the overcrowding in the infant classes at Te Aro Public School, Willis Street, is composed of children from Standard III. downwards. There are about 140 children on the roll, the average attendance being about 100. The headmistress, Miss McKenzie, is helped in her work by two able assistants.
Miss Christina McKenzie, Headmistress of the Mitchelltown Infants' School, is a daughter of the late Mr. Alex. McKenzie, of Taratahi and Lower Manaia. She was born in Taratahi, and commenced her education in a private school in Carterton. Miss McKenzie then attended the state school at Carterton, and afterwards a similar establishment in Masterton. After four years as a pupil teacher in Masterton, she attended the Wellington Training College for two years, gaining a D.I. certificate under the Board of Education. For seven and a half years Miss McKenzie had charge of the Wangaehu School, being afterwards transferred to Makara, where she remained three and a half years. On the Mitchelltown School being opened she was appointed headmistress. Miss McKenzie has a special aptitude for arithmetic, and while in the Training College she gained the first prize in her division.
Carmody, Patrick, Storekeeper, Mitchelltown.
Ohiro, which lies to the west from Te Aro, is situated between Wordsworth Street and Brooklyn. It occupies the eastern slope of a hill, along the side of which a road connects the city with Brooklyn, and thence continues to Happy Valley and Island Bay. Until a few years ago, this pleasant suburb was open field, and was used as a dairy farm, but it now contains a large number of substantial residences. The locality, which is one of the healthiest in Wellington, commands a good view of the city and harbour. The Old Men's Home is in this suburb, and occupies a few acres of land about half way up the hill.
Okiwi-iti, situated in the Wainui-o-mata riding of the Hutt County, is about a mile from Days Bay. It is a new settlement, and may be approached by ferry to Days Bay, or road from the Lower Hutt. The property is about 200 acres in extent, and occupies a flat facing Wellington. It has recently been surveyed as a township. With a good natural supply of water, good bush land, and convenient roads, the township is likely to become a favourite summer resort. The site of the township was originally the property of Dr. Wallace McKenzie, to whose enterprise Wellington is indebted for this addition to her suburbs.
Patent Slip, as a settlement, consists of a few cottages in the vicinity of the Slip occupied by the engineer in charge and the men who are employed. It is about four miles from Wellington by the road which goes through Oriental Bay and along the beach line of Evans Bay, or it may be approached by crossing the hills from Newtown to Kilbirnie, which is about half-a-mile away. There are no special postal arrangements.
Roseneath occupies the northern spur of Mount Victoria, and extends from Oriental Bay to Evans Bay. A few years ago it was a wild waste, but on account of the rapid expansion of the city, it has recently been added to the suburbs, and already a large number of houses have been erected there. From its elevated position an excellent view may be obtained of the city, the harbour, and the country beyond.
Martin John, Waterman, Ballina Bay, Roseneath.
Seatoun is the name usually given to a small township which has been laid off on a little flat to the south of the inner signal station at the entrance to Wellington Harbour. It is the only settlement that may be designated a township within the Seatoun Road District, of which the Miramar Estate is the principal part. There are not more than about a dozen settlers altogether, among whom are the signalmen employed at the station. Communication with Wellington is by road or boat.
The Seatoun Road District consists of No. 1 Ward of the late Kilbirnie Road District, being the portion which was not included in the Melrose Borough, it being really Watt's Peninsula. The old Kilbirnie district was originally included in the Karori-Makara Highway District, and became a road board on the passing of the Act in 1882. The first meeting of the old Board was held on the 3rd of November, 1880. On the formation of the Melrose Borough the name of the district was changed to its present designation, so as not to clash with the Kilbirnle ward of the borough. The members of the district are Messrs. C. E. Zohrab (chairman), H. D. Crawford, E. H. Beere, and A. D. Crawford.
Miramar Estate, about 1550 acres in extent, comprising the whole of the isthmus on the south and the peninsula on the east of Evans' Bay, Port Nicholson, is the property of Messrs. Henry and Alexander Crawford. The homestead is at the southeastern corner of the bay about six miles from Wellington. Miramar (after a castle on the Adriatic) is the Spanish word for “behold the sea.” This well-known estate, which is almost completely surrounded by the sea, is part of the territory acquired by the late Mr. Coutts Crawford in 1839. A lake of some 200 acres in extent on the property was artificially drained, and afterwards became the Burnham Water Racecourse—said to have been the first in New Zealand—which however was damaged by a tidal wave. A portion of the estate was taken by the Government as a site for fortifications. The property is a well-known resort for those in search of recreation and sport, the Wellington Hunt Club's Kennels, the Polo Club's grounds, the Golf Club's links and the Miramar Trotting Club's course being located there. The land is almost all laid down in English grasses, and a large dairy and butchering business is also carried on. Mr. Alexander Crawford manages the estate, on which five married couples and a dozen other hands are employed. Mr. Henry Crawford, who is prominent in sporting circles, was at one time Mayor of the borough of Melrose.
Mr. James Coutts Crawford, F.G.S., was one of the best known of the earliest settlers. He came from Sydney to Wellington in the schooner “Success” in October, 1839. During his residence in New Zealand Mr. Crawford took a leading part in all public matters. He was at various times corresponding member of the Geological Society of Edinburgh, and of the Imperial and Royal Geographical Societies of Vienna, a member of the Legislative Council of New Zealand. Resident Magistrate at Wellington, President of the Wellington Philosophical Institute, and Governor of the New Zealand Institute. His diary—published in London—deals exhaustively with life in Wellington, and his experiences in other parts of the Colony in the early days of settlement. Mr. Crawford acquired a considerable area of land, some of which is at present occupied by his sons. He was noted for his liberality, and Kilbirnie residents enjoy access to land which he gave for church sites and recreation grounds. The subject of this notice was twice married. His first wife—a daughter of Admiral Dundas—died a few years after they were married. His second wife, who was a daughter of Mr. Alex McBarnett, of Torridon, Scotland, died in England a year before her husband, who succumbed in 1879 in London at the age of seventy-two. Mr. Crawford's three sons all took to station life, the two eldest—Henry and Alexander—being at Miramar, and the youngest—Charles—managing a station in the South Island.
Taitville is that portion of Mitchelltown to the right of the road passing through to Karori. It is known chiefly on account of its large stone quarry, from which much of the metal used in the City is obtained.
Vogeltown lies among the hills south from Brooklyn, and west from Newtown. It is reached by roads from the north and from the east; but, as the distance from the city is about three miles, and the roads indifferent, this suburb, although established for many years, has made little progress. The locality, however, is dry and healthy, and those who love sea air and a good view are well repaid the trouble of getting there. On the south east lies the Pacific; and Island Bay and the heads and Evans Bay and the harbour, are all pleasant resting-places for the eye of the spectator.
Vogeltown Public School, a wooden building of the usual design, has 190 children on its roll, the majority coming from Brooklyn. The headmistress is assisted by two certificated teachers and one pupil teacher.
Miss Emily Browne, the Headmistress of the Vogeltown School, holds a D certificate. Born and educated in Wellington, she entered the Mount Cook Girls' School. Resolving to qualify for the teaching profession, after a two years' course at the Wellington Training College, where she gained the first prize for class management and teaching each year, she was first appointed to the Mount Cook Infants' School. Here she remained a year, afterwards teaching for two years at Mount Cook Girls' School. As assistant at Te Aro Public School, Miss Browne served three years, being appointed mistress at Vogeltown in 1887. Her success as a teacher is demonstrated by the number of scholarships gained by her pupils, and the increasing popularity of the school.
Worser Bay is the first after entering Port Nicholson Heads, before passing Fort Ballance. It is distant from the Newtown tram-line about two-and-a-half miles, the road passing through Kilbirnie and over the Peninsula. It is a pleasantly-situated watering-place, which is destined to become a popular marine suburb. Mr. Robert A. Hearn, the well-known plumber, in conjunction with Mr. Sampson Williams, the builder, has acquired five acres of the finest land in the Bay—fronting a magnificent sandy beach, which is absolutely safe for bathers. Here three comfortable four-roomed cottages have already been erected by the enterprising proprietors, and nine more are to be ready for the season 1896–97. They are fully furnished and fitted up with every modern requisite, having each accommodation for twelve persons. Arrangements have been made to convey passengers into town in time for the business of the day, returning to the Bay each evening, at the very reasonable fare of two shillings per week. Surveys have already been made for a wharf, so that ferry steamers may run to and fro daily. As a holiday resort, there are few places near Wellington to equa Worser Bay. The beach is one of the best in the neighbourhood, and the bay, for boating, fishing, and swimming, has no superior. Near Mr. Hearn's cottages is an abundant supply of pure water, and the well-known Whangatura-a-tara mineral springs, which are said to possess great healing virtues, are on his property. Messrs. Hearn and Williams undertake to remove all rubbish, and attend to the sanitation of the cottages. Boats are provided for the tenants free of charge, bathing sheds are available, and everything is done to promote the pleasure of the visitors. There is a good dairy on the spot, and provisions are delivered at town prices. The drive is pretty and pleasant, the road being excellent for cyclists. Messrs. Hearn and Williams find a great demand for their prettily-situated cottages, which are let at twenty shillings per week. Three medical men have made marine houses for themselves in the locality, and Mr. Hearn resides on the spot.
Borough Of Onslow.
This Borough, which comprises Wadestown, Crofton, Khandallah, Kaiwarra, and the continuation of Thorndon Quay beyond the limits of the Borough of Wellington, is more fully described under “Kaiwarra,” the headquarters of the Borough. Thorndon Quay properly so-called, extends from the bottom of Mulgrave Street to the bottom of Tinakori Road. The road beyond that point is generally known us the Hutt Road, although a portion of it is sometimes called Thorndon Quay.
Esplanade Hotel (Geo. Wm. Prictor, proprietor), Thorndon Quay.
Wood, Stephen, Blacksmith, Thorndon Quay.
Wadestown, a postal district in the borough of Onslow, is situated on the northern side of the hill above Thorndon. The Postal and Telegraph Bureau at Mr. H. M. McCarthy's store is about twenty minutes walk from Parliament House, Wellington, Mails are delivered from the City twice daily, and the box at Wadestown is cleared morning and afternoon. The Wellington-Manawatu Railway runs under and through the township, Crofton being the nearest point at which trains stop. A good road winds up around the hill from George Street and Tinakori Road to Wadestown. The public buildings in the township are the Church of England, which is supplied by Wellington clergy, and the public school.
Wadestown Public School is a wooden building of the older style containing three rooms. It was opened in 1881, and has 104 children on the roll, with an average attendance of about ninety in all standards. Mr. W. F. Ford, the headmaster, is assisted by the Misses Reith (mistress) and Cook (pupil teacher).
Mr. W. F. Ford, Head Teacher of the Wadestown Public School, who holds a D1 certificate, was born in England in 1821. He was a prize-man in political economy at Owen's College, Manchester, and at St. Bartholomew's, Salford, for twenty years. He has been engaged as a teacher in New Zealand for twenty-four years. Previously to coming to Wadestown Mr. Ford was teaching at Masterton and Saltwater Creek, Leeston.
Casey, Thomas, Dairyman, Wadestown.
McCarthy, M. H., Storekeeper, Wadestown.
Nash, J. R., Dairyman, Wadestown.