The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Wellington Provincial District]
Commercial And Industrial
Commercial And Industrial.
Cargill, Martin, Baker and Confectioner, Jackson Street, Petone. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Mr. Cargill established himself in business in a small shop at the corner of Jackson and Fitzherbert Streets in 1884. Four years later he removed to larger premises on the opposite side of the street, and these in turn proving inadequate, he built the imposing two-story shop and dwelling now occupied. Mr. Cargill is said to have been the first baker to open in Petone.
Heintz, William, Baker and Confectioner, Hutt Road, Petone, Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. This business was founded by the present proprietor on the 1st of July, 1889. The premises, which have been considerably improved, are leasehold, having ten years unexpired. Mr. Heintz, who has worked up a good trade by close attention to his business, was born in Germany, and sailed from Liverpool to Melbourne in 1855, per ship “Glanmanna.” He had seven years goldfield experience in Victoria, and after arriving in Otago in 1862, spent many years on the diggings. Subsequently Mr. Heintz was for fourteen years in Kumara, for nine of which he was employed by one firm. He settled in Petone in February, 1889, and by hard work and careful management has been successful.
Hewson, Walter Henry, Baker and Confectioner, Corner of Jackson and Fitzherbert Streets, Petone. Established 1895.
Hodren, Edwin John, Aerated Water Manufacturer, Petone. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. This old established trade was acquired by the present proprietor in October, 1895. The plant includes an aerated water machine, made by Hayward Tyler, of London, turnover bottling rack and corking rack. Mr. Hodren makes raspberry, cloves, lemon and peppermint cordials of splendid quality, besides the ordinary gingerale and lemonade, but his speciality is orange champagne, a really fine drink, which is already well known between Petone and the Upper Hutt. Mr. Hodren was born in Birmingham, England, and learned the trade with his father, Mr. E. Hodren, of Wanganui, whose business he managed for eighteen months before settling in Petone.
Gamble, Charles S., Draper and Clothier, Jackson Street, Petone. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. This business was established by the present proprietor in a small shop on the Hutt Road early in the year 1880. At that time the stock was not more than about £100 in value, and the connection had to be made. By industrious plodding and economical management, in which Mr. Gamble was ably assisted by his wife, satisfactory growth and development took place, and within a year the necessity of larger and more central premises became urgent. An opportunity offering in Jackson Street, Mr. Gamble moved into a two-story wooden building near the corner of Sydney Street in 1890. The shop, which has two large windows and a verandah in front, is most suitable for the trade the premises affording over 2500 square feet of floorage space. Mr. Gamble keeps a large general stock of drapery and clothing, which is carefully selected, and suitable in every respect to the requirements of the district. Since entering into possession of these premises he has been able to acquire the freehold, together with that of a large allotment adjoining the property at the back of the shop, and fronting Sydney Street. Customers may always depend upon finding a large variety of goods of the finest quality, including the most modern patterns, from which to select. Arrangements have also been made whereby orders can be executed for suits of clothes in any style, and in Colonial, Scotch, and English material. Mr. Gamble, who is the eldest son of Mr. C. Gamble, tailor, of Lambton Quay, Wellington, was born in 1857, and had a general experience of the life of a colonist in various parts of New Zealand and Australia up to the time of establishing the present business. During his resident in Petone Mr. Gamble has always been ready to assist every good cause; he is a prominent member of the local Wesleyan Church, of which he holds office as a trustee, and has been specially interested in musical matters. As leader of the choir of the church he has largely contributed to the popularity of its services, and to the successes frequently attained on special occasions. Mr. Gamble has taken a leading part in the Petone Orchestral Society, as conductor of which he has rendered considerable service both to the Society and the page 825 public. As leader of the Temperance Union choir and promoter of various local glee clubs he has found recreation and enjoyment besides assisting many worthy efforts. A life-long total abstainer, Mr. Gamble has assisted in many temperance societies, and his been a member of the order of Rechabites, filling at various times most of the positions of responsibility and honour which the order had to bestow.
Webley, M., Draper, Grocer, and Produce Merchant, Jackson Street, Petone. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. English agents, A. Webley and Co., Birmingham. Mr. Webley was born in Birmingham, and served his apprenticeship with Mr. Reddington, of Stoke-upon-Trent, with whom he remained altogether nine years. By close attention, Mr. Welbey obtained a thorough general knowledge of his trade. In 1876 he came to New Zealand by ship “Rakaia,” from London, landing in Wellington. For over nine years after arrival in the Empire City Mr. Webley found congenial occupation in the then well-known drapery and clothing establishment of Mr. W. Clarke, in Lambton Quay. He left this situation to commence business on his own behalf. The present business was originally established in 1882 in Karori, where it was conducted for fifteen months. Mr. Webley, however, soon found it advisable to seek a larger sphere of operations, and recognising the importance of Petone as a promising manufacturing centre, he removed his business in the following year to that growing town. Such has been the progress of this business that it speedily became necessary to procure larger and more convenient premises. As no suitable shop was available, Mr. W. Crichton, the well-known architect, of Wellington, was instructed to prepare plans and specifications for a new one. The substantial wood and iron shop and dwelling situate in Jackson Street was erected by Mr. Webb, the successful tenderer. The total floorage space afforded by the new premises is upwards of 2000 square feet. Mr. Webley is a direct importer of millinery and drapery, of which he keeps a large up-to date stock. He does a considerable trade in both these lines, which are the specialties of his business. In grocery and produce he also does a good trade.
Wilkie, David, Draper, Grocer, Milliner, and General Storekeeper, corner of Jackson and Sydney Streets, Petone. The business, which Mr. Wilkie has conducted for many years as above, is one of the most prominent in this rising manufacturing town. The premises occupy an imposing corner section in the principal street, the two-storied dwelling—which is of wood—having two double shop windows facing Jackson Street, and a lofty verandah spanning the footpath. The total floorage space available is little less than 4,000 square feet. Mr. Wilkie, who is the local agent for the Commercial Union Assurance Company, has a large general stock in all lines, and does a considerable business.
Eddy, Mrs., Draper and Milliner, Jackson Street, Petone. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Established 1887.
Burnley, Benjamin, Tailor, Hutt Road, Petone. Private residence, Ryan Street. Mr. Burnley established this business in 1884, and has built up a very fair trade. Having been apprenticed in the Old Land, he has thoroughly mastered his profession, as is evident from the fact that many customers who patronized him when he started twelve years ago are still employing him because they are satisfied with the work turned out. Mr. Burnley is a Yorkshireman, born in the West Riding and brought up in Wakefield. Prior to leaving England in 1884, per s.s. “Aorangi” for Wellington, Mr. Burnley, who had to abandon his trade on account of ill-health, was six years in the post-office as messenger, and for eight-and-a-half years he was employed by the Singer Sewing Machine Company.
Cotton, John, Tailor, Jackson Street, Petone. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. This business, which ranks as one of the foremost of its kind in Petone, was founded by Messrs. Mills Bros. in 1896. The present proprietor, who was born in Nelson in 1863, served his apprenticeship in his native city with the late Mr. John Cann. After completing his term, Mr. Cotton worked at his trade in Blenheim, joining his predecessors in the present business as a journeyman in 1889. Having proved himself a competent cutter and tailor, Mr. Cotton remained in the employ of Messrs. Mills Bros, till October, 1895, when he purchased his employers' interest in the business. The premises occupied are well situated in the principal street, and afford about 800 feet of floorage space. Mr. Cotton employs four hands, and has an improving trade. He is a member of the local Foresters' Court.
Mills, Frederick William, Tailor, Jackson Street, Petone. Established 1895. Webley, A., Tailor, Jackson Street, Petone. Established 189[gap — reason: illegible]5.
Priest, Charles Frederick, Hairdresser and Tobacconist, Jackson Street, Petone. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. This business, which occupies a leading position in Petone, was established in 1885 by Mr. R. Priest, father of the present owner. Until 1892 it was conducted under the style of R. Priest and Son. In the latter year Mr. C. F. Priest arranged to take over the business on his own account. The premises include a convenient shop, which is well stocked, a handsome saloon fitted with comfortable barber's chairs, and some very complete baths, comprising hot and cold, shower and plunge. The proprietor is skilled in his art, having learned his business in Willis Street, Wellington, under Professor Rowley.
Anderson, G. E., Hairdresser and Tobacconist, Jackson Street, Petone, Established 1896.
Victoria Hotel (T. Oxenham, proprietor), Jackson Street, Petone. This hotel, which is a commercial house, and does the leading business in the district, was established in 1888. It is a two-story wooden structure, and contains twenty-three rooms, including a well furnished dining-room, convenient commercial-room, and a billiard-room, having one of Barroughes and Watts' tables, besides the usual sitting-rooms, both upstairs and on the ground floor. Mr. Oxenham is well-known as a genial and kindly host.
Central Hotel (Joseph Cody, proprietor), Corner of Jackson and Fitzherbert Sts. Petone.
Empire Hotel (J. H. Jackson, proprietor), Corner of Richmond and Jackson Streets, Petone. Bankers, Bank of Australasia. Established 1888. Conducted by present proprietor since 1894.
Marine Retreat Hotel (Mrs. M. Guilford, proprietress), Hutt Road (Railway Crossing). Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Established 1884. Conducted by present occupier since 1895.
McWhirter, George, Boot and Shoemaker, Jackson Street, Petone. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Established in 1895 in convenient premises centrally situated in this rising manufacturing town, Mr. McWhirter has a good and well-assorted stock of British, Continental, and Colonial boots and shoes. The proprietor is well known in the district, having been employed as a currier at the Kaiwarra and Ngahauranga tanneries for some years, at Lightband, Allen and Co.'s, Christchurch, and William Combs and Son's, Dunedin. Before reaching the Colony in 1875 by the ship “Waimate,” Mr. McWhirter had spent six years with Hipbourn, of Long Lane, London, and gained experience at his trade at Rabbit's, of London, Jackson's, of Leeds, and McIntosh's, of Glasgow. Owing to a breakdown in his health he was compelled to leave the tannery and seek a somewhat quieter life.
Morris, William, Boot and Shoemaker, Hutt Road, Petone. Mr. Morris was born in Oxfordshire, England, and was apprenticed to the trade in Hull. Finding competition keen in the Old Land, he determined to seek his fortune at the antipodes, and having selected New Zealand as his future home, set sail from London per ship “Conflict,” arriving in August, 1874. After having a good general experience in connection with his trade in the Colony, Mr. Morris established himself in business in Petone in 1883. The building occupied is of wood, and affords a floor space of upwards of 400 square feet. The trade extends throughout Petone and the surrounding districts. Mr. Morris makes hand-sewn work the specialty of his trade, and of course undertakes to make any description of boots and shoes that may be desired. He has a good stock of British and colonial-made goods, and is at all times anxious to give satisfaction to his customers.
Pringle and Reid (Walter Pringle and Frank Reid), Saddlers and Harness Makers, Hutt Road. Chief establishment, Lower Hutt.
The Gear Meat Freezing and Preserving Company's Works at Petone are very extensive, and occupy a large section of land adjoining the beach. The Engineering and Freezing Department, which is under the management of Mr. W. G. Lodder, as chief engineer, occupies the central position of their large buildings, and includes the latest addition, a hugh two-storied erection of brick and cement. About six years ago one of Haslam's 150,000 feet refrigerating machines was erected, capable of freezing 850 sheep per day. Last year this was found insufficient, so one of Hall No. 16 Carbonic Machines was erected, capable of making fourty-four tons of ice per day, or freezing 16,000 and storing 3,000 sheep per day. There are three economic boilers—two by Sparrow, of Dunedin, and one by Cable, of Wellington—which drive the plant and supply steam for the whole works, including meat preserving, boiling down, and fellmongery departments. The entire works and the shop in Jackson Street are lighted by electricity, generated by one of the Gulcher Company's 250 light machines, which is driven by a ten-horse-power horizontal engine built by Cable. A duplex Worthington pump, capable of raising 500 gallons per minute, has been fitted up to provide for an outbreak of fire and for washing-down purposes. The Stock and Slaughtering Department, of which Mr. J. C. Kelly is foreman and manager, is situated in a two-story wood and iron building near the entrance gates from Jackson Street. Sheep races communicating with each floor from the pens, the slaughtering goes on simultaneously on each flat, about 28,000 square feet of floorage space being devoted to this part of the Company's business. The beef-house is on the ground floor—affording about 2,500 square feet—being used for slaughtering cattle for the local market. All the latest appliances for killing, scalding and cleansing purposes are in use in these works. Some idea of the amount of business carried on by this large Company may be formed from the fact that during the busy season. which extends from January to April, about 3,000 sheep per day are slaughtered for freezing, canning, and boiling down, some 250 men being engaged in the work. The Meat Preserving and Canning Department is conducted in a portion of the factory at the opposite end to the slaughtering department—Mr. J. G. A. Castle being in charge. It is in an iron building of one-story, containing page 827 upwards of 5,000 square feet of floorage space. From thirty-five to forty hands are engaged in this part of the Company's premises. There is a complete tinsmith's plant, including; presses for cutting out tops and bottoms, and an improved tin-making machine for producing the square tins so well known in the Colony. Large retorts are used for preparing the meat, of which some 15,000 pounds per day are canned—exclusive of fancy pastes, sheep tongues, etc.—and labelled with the popular brand “Gear Company,” and packed for shipment. The Fellmongery Department is conducted in the large iron building lying between the meat preserving department and the beach. Over forty hands find employment in this part of the works, which is under the management of Mr. S. V. Burridge, who designed and supervised their erection. The skins are received in the dolly-room by a trolly on the railway line, and after being washed in artesian water in the dollies, pass into the hydro-extractor—a Broadbent's sixty inch machine, and one of the largest in the Colony. They are then taken to the first floor where the sweathouse—seventeen in number—are situated. After hanging for about two days they are sent down by shoots to a pulling-room where all wool is removed from the skins. After a further washing they are limed in dollies and stacked for about four days; they then pass through the fleshing-machine, of which there are two—one by Jones and Son, which has been lately added. The pelts are then washed in warm water and prepared for the scudders, and after being pickled are passed on to be classed for size, weight, and grain. They are then rolled up in quarter dozens and packed in casks ready for shipment to the London and American markets. The annual output is about 1200 casks, containing some twenty dozens each. The wool is first taken to a large platform to dry and subsequently passes through one of Nelson, and Bowen's drying machines, which is heated with hot air supplied by a forty inch Blackman's Fan, the air being heated by means of the exhaust-steam which would be otherwise wasted. The wool is then packed in bales of about 400 pounds each, and pressed in one of Murray's ratchet wool presses. About 3,000 bales per annum are the product of these works. The refrigerating hulk “Jubilee” is now used to convey the frozen carcases from the Company's wharf—where there are special moorings for her safety—to the direct steamers. It is interesting to note that the “Jubilee”—a strong wooden vessel of green heart of oak and teak—was one of the popular traders to the Colony in the early seventies. When the Gear Company commenced freezing in 1884, the hulk was used for the purpose, one of Haslam's cold air machines, capable of producing 45,000 cubic feet per hour, being fitted up. It soon became necessary to duplicate the machinery and the vessel served the purpose for many years, till it was quite inadequate. The “Jubilee” has storage for 11,000 carcases, of which she can take from six to seven hundred per hour, transhipping at the same rate, and delivering about 35,000 carcases per month, to the direct steamers. It may be interesting to note that the whole of the coal consumed at the Company's works is delivered at their wharf at Petone. The Gear Company's Manure Works are situated about a mile away from the main works, along the Hutt Park Railway Company's line, and not far from the month of the Hutt River. The buildings are, for the most part, of wood and iron—the engine and boiler houses being of brick—the total floorage space exceeding 30,000 square feet. The plan of the works was sketched out by Mr. Alfred Carter, who has acted as manager since the commencement. A thirty-five-horse-power horizontal steam-engine furnishes the power for the large dryer, the screw presses, and other machinery employed, the grinding machinery being driven by a ten-horse-power engine, and the lift by an engine of two-horse-power. The works, which are constructed on the most modern plans, are provided with two blood-drying machines, also a Gubbin's dryer for drying the various manures in process. The Company's output is not far short of a thousand tons of specially prepared manure per annum. The chemicals used are imported from foreign markets, and manure can be produced to any standard required, according to the crop which is to be grown. The whole of the waste products from the main works are utilized in the production of manure, neatsfoot, and tallow, about twenty hands being employed. The connection between the two works is maintained by the Company's own locomotive, which also does all the shunting.
Mr. William George Lodder, Chief Engineer of the Gear Meat Preserving and Freezing Works at Petone, was born in London in 1858. Coming to Auckland with his parents when but two years of age, Mr. Lodder was educated in the Colony, and served an apprenticeship at Messrs. Fraser and Tinne's foundry, completing his term in 1879. Mr. Lodder was afterwards employed by the Union Company on the s.s. “Southern Cross,” on which he became first engineer, and on other steamers. He went home to England to bring out the ill-fated s.s. “Wairarapa.” Subsequently Mr. Lodder was chief engineer of the Government steamer “Hinemoa” for two years. He has held his present appointment since 1887. Mr. Lodder was married in 1882 to the only daughter of Mr. W. R. Douglas, of Dunedin, at one time Inspector of Machinery.
Mr. James Charles Kelly, Foreman and Manager of the Stock and Slaughtering Department of the Gear Company's Works, was born in 1852 in County Longford, Ireland, where he was brought up. On arrival in Wellington, per ship “Hindostan,” in 1874, Mr. Kelly at once joined Mr. Gear, the founder of this large concern, as stock buyer, etc., and on the formation of the Company in 1882, he was promoted to the position he now holds. Mr. Kelly was married in 1878 to the only daughter of Mr. Matthew Cook, of Waiwetu, farmer, and has five daughters and two sons. Mr. Kelly has been prominent in Petone as a member of the Borough Council, in which he served for three years. He is interested in the Mauawatu district, having secured some land in that rising part of the Wellington provincial district.
Mr. John G. A. Castle, Manager of the Preserving Department of the Gear Company, was born in 1855, in London, and arrived at the Bluff (N.Z.) in 1874, per ship “William Davie.” Mr. Castle at once joined the New Zealand Meat Preserving Company at Woodlands, where he served his time, remaining till 1880, when he had a trip to England. On his return to the Colony he joined the same company. In 1882 Mr. Castle entered the employ of the Gear Company as preserver, and after four years service was promoted to the position of manager of the department. Mr. Castle was married in 1884 to the eldest daughter of Mr. Thomas Penfold, of Christchurch, and has three sons and one daughter. In local politics, Mr. Castle has been a member of the Borough Council for two years. He is a member of the Masonic body, and holds office as Senior Warden, in Lodge Ulster, N.Z.C.
Mr. Samuel Vickers Burridge, Manager of the Gear Company's Fellmongery Department, was born at Kaiapoi in 1861, and was apprenticed to the late Mr. J. W. Ellen, fellmonger, in his native place. Mr. Burridge afterwards worked for Messrs. Webster Bros. for three years, and for the Kaiapoi Woollen Company for two years, and for Messrs. Murgatroyd and Sons for three seasons. He afterwards joined the Wellington Woollen Company as classer and wool buyer, which position he held for four years. Mr. page 828 Burridge left the Woollen Company to enter the Gear Company's employ, becoming manager of the fellmongery department in 1888. During his residence in Petone the subject of this notice has taken a fair share in the management of the local governing bodies. He has occupied a seat at the Council Board of the Borough of Petone for five years, and is also a member of the Hutt Borough Council; he is a member of the Suburbs of Wellington Licensing Committee, and of the Dairy Regulations Committee on behalf of the Petone Borough Council. Mr. Burridge has shown interest in friendly societies, having become a member of the local Foresters' Court. As a farmer he has given attention to the breeding of Ayreshire cattle, and has been successful as a prize winner—at Wellington Show (1895) he took both championships, and in 1896 one championship and four first prizes. In 1885 Mr. Burridge was married to the fourth daughter of the late Mr, William Campbell, of Kaiapoi, and has one daughter.
Captain John Teasdale King, of the Gear Company's hulk “Jubilee,” was born in Norfolk, England, in 1857, and served his apprenticeship out of the Port of Sunderland on the ship “John Ristson” and others. On completing his time he joined the Shaw, Savill Company as able seaman, and after four years gained his certificate as second mate. On completion of his second voyage to New Zealand Mr. King passed his examination and received his certificate as first officer in London. For some time afterwards he was respectively on the ships “Crusader” and “Oxford,” and in 1883 he decided to remain in the Colony. It was not long before he joined the Gear Company, being promoted in April, 1881, to the charge of the freezing hulk, which he still commands. As a member of the masonic brotherhood he is attached to Lodge Ulster, of which he was “master” for two consecutive years. He holds office as a Grand Lodge officer, N.Z.C., being Assistant Grand Director of Ceremonies. Captain King was one of the promoter of the Petone Temperance Club, of which he has been president, and now holds office as vice-president. He is also president of the Petone Temperance Union. In public matters he occupies a seat as a member of the Wellington Suburbs Licensing Committee. Captain King was married in 1885 to the eldest daughter of Mr. Thomas Wilson, manufacturing confectioner, of Wellington, and has one daughter.
Mr. Alfred Carter, Manager of the Manure Department of the Gear Company, hails from the vicinity of Birmingham. Mr. Carter's father was for many years the proprietor of large chemical works, where the subject of this notice gained considerable experience as manager. Arriving in Melbourne in 1888, Mr. Carter entered into the glue manufacturing trade, but came on to New Zealand in less than two years, having received an appointment from the Gear Company, who had decided upon entering the manure trade. Under his direction the large buildings and extensive plant devoted to this industry were erected in accordance with designs prepared by his instructions. Mr. Carter was married in 1874 to the second daughter of Mr. Thomas Lowell Ralph, a gentleman who spent many years in Russia, establishing and afterwards managing the first metal-rolling mills in that country for the Russian Government. Mr. Carter's family consists of three sons and four daughters.
Watson and Co. (Frank Watson and Herbert Ryder), Butchers, Jackson Street, Petone. Established 1896 by Gear Co. Conducted by present firm since 1893.
Morrison John L., Flax Broken and Rope Manufacturer, Hutt Road, Petone. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Mr. Morrison started in this line of business in 1870 at Petone, and in the following year he went to Sydney, where he continued business as a flax broker for seven years. Returning to Wellington in 1878, he pursued his vocation as a flax classer and importer till 1894, when he returned to Petone. Mr. Morrison does a large business as a flax buyer, and supplies several large rope-works in New Zealand and Queensland. He also makes small lines of rope, employing two hands.
Petone Industrial and Provident Co-operative Society, Limited. Secretary, W. Heppleston; manager, G. T. Stutter, Jackson Street, Petone. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. This business was established in 1890, and has proved to be a progressive concern. About 130 members are enrolled on its books, and dividends at the rate of six-and-a-quarter per cent. have been paid with 1s. 9d. in the £ by way of bonus on members' purchases. The premises occupied consist of a convenient one-storied verandah shop on the Company's own freehold in Jackson Street.
Wellington Woollen Manufacturing Company, Limited. Mill and works, Te Koro Koro, Petone. Head office, warehouse and clothing factory, Jervois Quay and Willeston Street, Wellington. (See pages 719 and 720 for further particulars.) The foundation stone of this Company's mill at Petone was laid by the Hon. (now Sir) Robert Stout, M.H.R., on the 28th of November, 1885. The main building is of one-story, 146 by 286 feet, and is substantially built of brick, from plans by the well-known architect, Mr. Thomas Turnbull, Messrs. Scoullar and Archibald being the contractors. This building, together with the surrounding wool stores, yarn stores, dye-house, finishing room, etc., contains a total floorage space of 65,000 square feet. Steam and water are the motive powers employed, the principal engine being a horizontal compound condenser of 225 horse-power, from the foundry of Messrs. W. Cable and Co., of Wellington, which drives the larger portion of the immense plant at work in the chief building. A small steam-engine, supplemented by a water turbine, drives the finishing and other machines located in the row of out-buildings. The Company, by the presence of an expert agent in England, is kept constantly supplied with the best up-to-date machinery, which fact keeps the Petone Mills in the front rank of New Zealand industries. The process of the manufacture of woollens, and the many different machines used, is bewilding to the uninitiated, and in walking through the Petone works the observer cannot but feel impressed with the skill and ability brought to bear in the industry. This woollen mill is one of the great show places of Wellington, and visitors from all parts arrive frequently. Hours can be profitably passed in watching the wool pass from machine to machine, being transformed from its natural greasy condition to the superb articles for which the Company has become so justly famed. In addition to the manufacture of blankets, flannels, tweeds, dress-tweeds, serges, shirtings, yarns, rugs, shawls, and kindred goods, a very fine plant for the making of knitted goods is also at work. Machines that knit four garments simultaneously are not the least of the many wonderful things to be seen. The Wellington Woollen Company's works are a perfect hive of industry, some two hundred workers being employed under the supervision of skilled experts, many of whom were specially brought to the Colony to assist in this growing concern. In addition to many conveniences for the comfort of hands, a well-stocked library forms a not unattractive item, which is free to all. The officers and foremen of the Company are: Messrs. M. G. Heeles (general manager), A. E. Donne (secretary), W. Ramsden (mill manager), G. A. Platt (designer), C. Lusty (carder), T. Maynard (engineer), T. Capstick (dyer), A. W. Watson (spinner), E. Taylor (tuner), W. H. Burridge (wool buyer), W. Heppleston (fuller), F. Wilkinson (warehouseman), F. Burnley (finisher).page 829
Mr. Walter Ramsden, the Manager of the Wellington Woollen Mills, is a Yorkshireman by birth. Born in 1860, he was educated in the West of England, near Oxford, and was brought up to the woollen trade in Leeds, where he worked till 1879. Mr. Ramsden came to the Colonies per ship “Hankow,” and at once crossed the Tasman Sea to New Zealand, landing in Lyttelton. He obtained employment at the Kaiapoi Woollen Mills as power-loom tuner, a position which he held for five years. On the opening of the Ashburton Mills Mr. Ramsden acted as assistant to his father, who was appointed manager. In 1885 Mr. Ramsden, senior, became the first manager of the Wellington Woollen Mills, and the subject of this notice was appointed weaving manager, in which office he continued till February, 1895, when he was promoted to the important office he now fills. Mr. Ramsden was married in 1865 to the second daughter of the late Mr. John Eatwell, settler, of Nelson, and has three sons.
Mr. George Arthur Platt, Designer at the Woollen Mills, Petone, was born in Yorkshire in 1866. He learned his trade under his father in Huddersfield, beginning at the age of fourteen. When Mr. Platt was eighteen years old he was employed as designer at the large mills of Messrs. John Crowther and Sons, of Huddersfield, where he remained four years. For seven years afterwards he held a similar position in Mr. Job Beaumont's mill in the same town. This position Mr. Platt left on accepting his present engagement, he having been selected out of about one hundred applicants. Coming to Australia per s.s. “Cuzco,” Mr. Platt arrived in Wellington on the 20th of November, 1895, and at once took up his duties. Mr. Platt was married in 1891 to a daughter of Mr. George Haigh, of Huddersfield, and has two sons.
Mr. Caleb Lusty, Carder at the Wellington Woollen Company's Mills, Petone, hails from Stroud, Gloucestershire, where he was born in 1855. After serving his time with Messrs. Playne Bros., woollen manufacturers, he came out to Nelson in 1874, arriving per ship “Duke of Edinburgh.” Mr. Lusty, senr., had obtained an appointment as carder and spinner at the Nelson Woollen Mills, and here the subject of this notice likewise found congenial employment for two-and-a-half years. Subsequently for ten years Mr. Lusty was carder at Kaiapoi, and afterwards for a short time at the Ashburton Mill. He came to Wellington in 1887, since which time he has occupied the above position. Mr. Lusty has been a member of the Petone Borough Council for about four years. In the Foresters' Order he has passed through all the chairs, has risen to the position of Chief Ranger, and holds office as a trustee. In 1877 Mr. Lusty was married to a daughter of the late Mr. W. Campbell, of Kaiapoi, and has four sons and two daughters.
Mr. Thomas Maynard, Chief Engineer of the Wellington Woollen Mills, is a native of Cornwall, where he was born in 1854. Mr. Maynard served his apprenticeship to Messrs. Tangye's, Limited. For some years after completing his term he had charge of some engines in Bohemia and at Home. In 1879 he came to the Southern Seas par s.s. “Afghan,” landing in Melbourne. Soon afterwards Mr. Maynard came to New Zealand and assisted in the starting of the Ashburton Woollen Mills, where he retained the position of engineer for some three years. He was appointed to the position he now holds in 1888. Mr. Maynard was married in 1882 to a daughter of the late Mr. Vincent, of Christchurch, painter and has one son and two daughters. As an Oddfellow, he is still attached to the Ashburton Lodge, in which he was initiated.
Mr. Tom. Capstick, Dyer at the Woollen Mills, Petone, is a native of Kendall, Westmoreland, where he was born in 1866. He served his time with Messrs. J. J. and W. Wilson, of Castle Mills, Kendall, with which firm his father worked for about fifty years as a dyer. Arriving in New Zealand in 1886 via Australia, Mr. Capstick was appointed to his present position in 1887.
Mr. Alfred William Watson, Spinner at the Woollen Mills, Petone, was born at Woolston, Canterbury, in 1865. He got his first knowledge of the trade at Kaiapoi, and came to Wellington in 1885, being present as one of the hands at the opening of the Petone Mills in that year. In 1890 Mr. Watson secured promotion to the position he now holds. A year before this he married the third daughter of Mr. James May, settler, of Petone, and has two sons and two daughters. Mr. Watson is a member of the Order of Druids, Poneke Lodge.
Mr. Edward Taylor, Foreman of the Weaving Department at the Wellington Woollen Mills at Petone, hails from Huddersfield, where he was born in 1855. At the age of thirteen he was apprenticed to Messrs. Greenwood, Anson and Co., of his native town. In 1881 Mr. Taylor was engaged by the Kaiapoi Woollen Company to come to New Zealand as an expert weaver and tuner, to teach hands in the Colony. After a year in Kaiapoi, Mr. Taylor went to Victoria, where he was engaged at one of the mills. The following year he returned to New Zealand, and settled in Ashburton, taking charge of the fast looms at the local mill. After four years Mr. Taylor came to Petone on the opening of that mill as under tuner, from which he was promoted in February, 1895, to the office he now holds. Mr. Taylor was married in 1880 to the second daughter of Mr J. Stenton, of Barnsley, and has four sons and one daughter. He is a member of Court Epuni, 7414, Ancient Order of Foresters, and has filled all the chairs excepting the chief.
Mr. William Henry Burridge, Foreman at the Wool Store and Wool Buyer at the Woollen Mills, Petone, was born at Heatheote Valley, near Christchurch, in 1852. He learned the wool trade with Mr. John Ellen, at Kaiapoi, but subsequently was engaged for fourteen years on a sheep station. Returning to Kaiapoi, Mr. Burridge was employed in the local fellmongery, where he remained for eleven years. Shortly after the starting of the mill at Te Koro Koro, he joined the Company in the fellmongery department, from which he was promoted in 1889 to the position he now holds. In 1875 Mr. Burridge was married to the third daughter of Mr. William Busby, farmer, of Kaiapoi, and has four sons and four daughters.
Mr. William Heppleston, Fuller at the Te Koro Koro Mills, Petone, was born in 1855 at Batley, Yorkshire. He learned the business under his father, who was fuller at the mill of Messrs. J. T. and J. Taylor, Batley, remaining till embarking for Lyttelton per ship “Crusader” in 1882. After, six months at Kaiapoi, he was appointed fuller at the Oamaru Company's mill, a position he held for three years. Mr. Heppleston assisted at the starting of the woollen mills at Petone, and has held his present position since that time. In 1876 he married the eldest daughter of Mr. Reuben Blakeley, professor of music at Kaiapoi, and has seven sons and two daughters. Mr. Heppleston is secretary to the Petone Co-operative Society, and acts as bandmaster of the Petone Band. As a member of the Foresters' Order he is a Past Chief Ranger of Lodge Epuni.
Mr. Fred. Wilkinson, Warehouseman at the Woollen Mills, Petone, was born in 1864 in Huddersfield, where he learned the business under his father, who was a manufacturer. Coming to Wellington in 1887, per ship “Timaru,” Mr. Wilkinson was employed in the following year to assist in stocktaking at the Wellington Woollen Mills, and was subsequently appointed to the position he now holds. Before leaving England Mr. Wilkinson was married to the eldest daughter of Mr. Thomas Todd, artist, of Ulverston, Lancashire, and has one son and one daughter.
Damant, Henry, General Storekeeper, Jackson Street, Petone. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Mr. Damant was born at Ipswich, England, and came out to New Zealand in 1853, per ship “North Flest,” from London. In early life he was put to the grocery trade, in which he had splendid opportunities of acquiring information. By steady perseverance and close attention to details Mr. Damant gained a complete knowledge of the grocery and provision trade, which has enabled him to succeed where others might have failed. The business, which is one of the most important among the retail trades in this thriving manufacturing town, was established in 1889 by Messrs. J. W. Powell and Co. Mr. Damant was a member of the firm from its foundation, and to his energy and enterprise the progress of the business is largely due. In 1891 the present proprietor purchased the interest of his partner in the concern, and has conducted a rapidly expanding business in his own name during the last four years. The trade is carried on in a large two-story double-fronted shop, containing about 2300 square feet of floorage space, well situated in a central position in Jackson Street. Mr. Damant keeps a large and general assortment of goods, prominent among which are crockeryware and groceries. In the interests of the business he imports direct special lines of grocery goods from Messrs. Maconochie Brothers, of London, and other well-known shippers. Glass and crockeryware are likewise imported from the best British manufacturing firms. Mr. Damant is thus enabled to compete with his compeers in business, and undertakes to supply his customers with novelties in all lines at reasonable prices. He has long been well and favourably known in the district. For fourteen years he filled the position of acting engineer and pay master for the Wellington District Road Board under the Hutt County Council, and for twelve years of this period he acted as assessor for the Property Tax Department.
Morrison, Mrs., General Storekeeper, Hutt Road, Petone. This business was established in 1895. Mrs. Morrison is the wife of Mr. John L. Morrison, flax broker and rope manufacturer.
Bassett, Mrs., Storekeeper, Hutt Road, Petone. Established 1896.
Jones, Joseph, Storekeeper, corner of Jackson and Beach Streets, Petone. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Established 1887. Conducted since 1894 by present proprietor.
Broadway, Arthur W., Watchmaker and Jeweller, Jackson Street, Petone. The shop occupied by Mr. Broadway, which is centrally situated in the principal thoroughfare of this rising manufacturing town, was formerly tenanted by Mr. Raven, who established a watchmaker's business in 1887. Mr. Broadway, who was born in Hampshire, was apprenticed to the trade in Devonshire, completing his term in 1888. He has since had a general experience in Melbourne, Tasmania, and Natal, South Africa, where he managed a business for two years. Crossing over to New Zealand by the ill-fated s.s. “Wairarapa,” Mr. Broadway founded the present business early in 1894. He makes a specialty of cleaning and repairing watches and clocks, and working in gold and silver.page 831
Boothby, William, Junr., Coal and Firewood Dealer, Jackson Street, Petone. Established 1896.
Bowman, Mrs., J. A., Stationer and Fancy Goods Dealer, Hutt Road, Petone. Established 1894.
Brown, Robert, Rope Manufacturer, Nelson Street, Petone. Established 1871.
Carter, Samuel, Jam Manufacturer, Richmond Street, Petone.
Collet, E. H., Undertaker, Hutt Road, Petone.
Cook, Herbert, Bookseller, Jackson Street, Petone. Conducted by present owner since 1895.
Cook, Thomas, Cooper, Hutt Road, Petone.
Crofts, Mrs. Robert, Fancy Goods Dealer, Jackson Street, Petone. Estab. 1894.
Elvines, John, Farrier and General Blacksmith, Hutt Road, Petone. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Established 1895.
Farquharson, James Henry, General Dealer, Jackson Street, Petone, Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Established 1890.
Feux, Henry, Fruiterer, Hutt Road, Petone. Established 1889.
Finch F. and Son, (Frederick Finch, senr., and Frederick Finch. junr.), Farriers and General Blacksmiths, Victoria Street, Petone. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Established 1888.
Hounslow, John, Cabinetmaker and Upholsterer, Jackson Street, Petone. Established 1887. Conducted by Mr. Hounslow since 1893.
Hyde, Joseph, Fruiterer and Greengrocer, Corner of Jackson and Sydney Streets, Petone. Established 1893.
Nicholas, George, Fruiterer, Nelson Street, Petone. Established 1890.
Rodgers, Mrs., and King, Miss C., Fruiterers and Greengrocers, Jackson Street, Petone. Established 1896.