The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]
Captain Albert Duder
Captain Albert Duder, Harbour Master for the port of Auckland, is a member of a well-known Auckland family. He is a son of the late Mr. Thomas Duder, for so many years keeper of the Mt. Victoria flagstaff, who arrived in this Colony in 1840 per ship “Buffalo,” wrecked in Mercury Bay, and who was master of the first revenue cutter in New Zealand. Captain Duder was born at the North Shore in 1856, and was educated at the Auckland College and Grammar School. He spent his two first years of sea ife in the “Hydaspes” under Captain Babot, now the well-known Marine Superintendent of the Shaw Savill and Albion Company in New Zealand. His third year was served in the “May Queen,” afterwards lost on a trip to the Islands, his fourth found him on the ship “City of Auckland” whose mast may still be seen high out of the sand at the mouth of the Otaki river, near Wellington, and the fifth he spent in the Mediterranean and Baltic seas. For some three years he was on the New Zealand Shipping Company's sailing ship “Mataura,” and he then entered the service of the Union Steamship Company with whom he remained five years, being chiefly on the “Rotomahana.” Beginning as third officer, he rose to the position of master, and brought out from Glasgow the S.S. ‘Pukaki,” the first steamer that came from Home to this Colony without calling at any port on the way. The next period of five years was with the Huddart Parker Company as chief officer and master of the “Ellngamite,” “Newcastle,” “Nemesis,” “Lindus,” and “Wendouree.” Captain Duder was appointed deputy harbour master in 1893 and two years later was promoted to his present post. He is a member of the Auckland Bowling Club, and for the year 1895 was page 141 president of the Auckland College Old Boys' Association. Captain Duder was married in 1887 to Miss Grant, daughter of the late Captain Grant, of Wellington, and has a family of three children.