The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]
Field Artillery Volunteers
Field Artillery Volunteers.
A Battery Of Field Artillery. The strength of this corps is set down at four officers and seventy-nine rank and file. Their armament consists of four 9-pounder rifle breech-loading guns, to which a Norden-feldt has been since added. The personnel of the company is officially classed as “very good,” but their matériel is condemned as inefficient and out of date. The corps has been in existence since the 20th of February, 1866. Officers:—Captain O'Brien: Lieutenants Lipscombe, J. T. Bosworth and Stewart.
Captain Lucius O'brien, of the A Battery Artillery, has been connected with the volunteers for many years. He is an accountant in the firm of Messrs S. Cochrane and Son, auctioneers. He is now (October 1900) away on a trip to South Africa.
Lieutenant Lipscombe, of the A Battery of Artillery, holds a position in the well known firm of Messrs Arthur Yates and Co., seed merchants, Auckland.
Lieut. J. T. Bosworth.
Lieutenant Stewart, of the A Battery Artillery, is connected with the firm of Messrs John Burns and Sons, merchants, Custom Street, Auckland.
Surgeon-Captain Charles George Watson was appointed Honorary Surgeon to the A Battery on the 11th of May, 1893.
The Primate Of New Zealand, Bishop Cowie, whose interesting biography appears in the ecclesiastical section of this volume, is the Honorary Chaplain of the A Battery.