The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]
Auckland Golf Club. This club was instituted in 1894. The officers for 1891 are: Mr. S. T. George, president; Dr. Logan Campbell, Mr. James Kirker and Dr. Coates, vice-presidents; Mr. M. A. Clark, captain; Mr. C. E. S. Gillies, Shortland Street, honorary secretary; Mr. J. M. Lennox, honorary treasurer. Messrs J. Sykes, E. Turner, and W. S. Cochrane are the committee. The links and club-house adjoin Green Lane station.
New Zealand Lacrosse Association, Auckland. This association was formed on the 16th of May, 1899. The officers for 1901 are: His Excellency the Earl of Ranfurly, patron; Mr. David Goldie, Mayor of Auckland, president; Mr. Philip C. Luckie, chairman of council; Mr. Alex. Howey Walker, honorary secretary; Mr. William Noton, honorary treasurer. The district clubs affiliated to the Association are the Grafton, Grey Lynn, Parnell, Ponsonby, North Shore, and Auckland Suburbs.
Mr. Alex Howey Walker, the Honorary Secretary of the Association, was born in 1876 at Gateshead, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Northumberland, England, and educated at Wanganui College, New Zealand.
Auckland Flying Club. This club was originally founded under the name of the Newton Homing Pigeon Club in 1890, and was registered under its present title in 1898. Its chief objects are the training and improvement of homing pigeons. Strict rules are adopted against betting or flying for pecuniary gain. The cultivation of homing or messenger pigeons not only affords good sport in their training and racing, but it is of national importance, inasmuch as it is necessary that there should be first-class birds in the colony in case of war. A number of birds of the best kind have recently been imported by members of the club, which has thirty-three members on its roll. The officers are: Mr. D. Goldie (Mayor), president; Messrs A. Alison, G. W. S. Patterson, J. Reid, A. A. White, R. Bedford, vice-presidents; Mr. I. Hopkins, honorary secretary.
New Zealand Inanimate Pigeon Shooting Association. This association was formed in October, 1899, to promote the pastime of inanimate pigeon shooting and to procure uniformity of rules governing shooting. The great majority of the gun clubs in the Auckland province are affiliated to the association. His Excellency the Governor, Lord Ranfurly, and Lady Ranfurly are patrons to the association. The officers are: Dr. T. Hope Lewis, president; Messrs Arthur Bull, J. Bollard, M.H.R., R. M. Houston, M.H.R., A. Alison, T. W. Laing, A. P. Barry, W. H. Herries, M.H.R., vice-presidents; Major R. B. Morrow, honorary secretary; Mr. J. Strathern, honorary treasurer.