The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]
Brown, Campbell and Co.
Brown, Campbell and Co., General Merchants, 29 Shortland Street, Auckland. Telephone 158. P.O. Box 31. Bankers. Bank of New Zealand. This, the first mercantile firm established in Auckland, was founded in 1840 by Messrs Brown and Campbell, who, in the following year, at the first town sales held in Auckland, purchased the allotment on which the business has ever since been conducted. At that time the shore-line, since far removed by reclamation, came up to what is now Shortland Street, and it was there, in the neighbourhood of sea waves and waste land, that Messrs Brown and Campbell built primitive premises for their business, then necessarily a small one. But as the settlement grew, so did the trade of the firm. In 1869 Dr. J. Logan Campbell was appointed by the Committee of Lloyds to represent it at the port of Auckland, and he held the position till 1900, when the business was transferred to the Campbell and Ehrenfried Company, Limited, of which Dr. Campbell is Chairman of Directors. Both Mr. Brown and Dr. Campbell are fully referred to in the section devoted to the Superintendents of Auckland.