The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]
Mr. James Cuthbertson Entrican
Mr. James Cuthbertson Entrican, A member of the firm of A. J. Entrican and Co., was born near Sion, County Tyrone, Ireland, in the year 1864, and received his education at the Edward's National School, Castlederg, the headmaster, Mr. James McGranahan, being now the Rev. James McGranahan, M.A., of Townsend Presbyterian Church, Belfast. On leaving school Mr. Entrican was indentured to a Liverpool merchant, and, after completing his apprenticeship, he decided to go to the colonies. In 1885 he came to this Colony, in the s.s. “Tongariro,” and made Auckland his home. Shortly after his arrival he entered into partnership with Mr R. W. Gallaugher, under the style of Gallaugher and Entrican, grocers and Italian warehousemen, Victoria Street West, Auckland. At the end of seven years he retired from the firm and joined his brother, Mr A. J. Entrican, in the business founded by the latter some years page 397 previously, and referred to in another article. Mr. J. C. Entrican resides at Stanley Street, Devonport, and occupied a sent in the local Borough Council for several years, He is a Sunday school teacher in connection with the Devonport Presbyterian Church and a member of the Kirk session; as an elder, he, in conjunction with the Rev. R. Ferguson, represented the church at the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church of New Zealand, held in Christchurch. Mr. Entrican is an enthusiastic numismatist and philatelist, and his collections of coins and stamps are very fine.
Mr. J. C. Entrican.