The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]
Mr. Jules George Wilson
Mr. Jules George Wilson, who was so closely identified with the mining industry in New Zealand, and particularly with the New Zealand Exploration Company, was born in Brittany, France, in 1835, and died on the 2nd of July. 1896. His education was carried on till he was fourteen years of age at Nancy, and was continued at the University of Ohio, United States of America. After completing his education he went into his uncle's warehouse in New Orleans, but it was not long before the gold fever seized him. On the outbreak of the “rush” in Australia he went to Rockhampton, Queensland, and visited all the goldfields of importance on that continent. Mr. Wilson came to New Zealand in 1861, and joined in the Dunstan “rush,” Otago; thence he gravitated northwards through the various goldfields of the Colony till, reaching the Thames, he took up the business of sharebroker to the “Crown” and “Caledonian” Mines. In conjunction with the late Baron de Hirsch, Mr. Wilson erected the first store at Grahamstown, and was largely instrumental in the development of the goldfields in New Zealand. In 1872 he married Miss Livina Cowell, third daughter of the late Mr. John Cowell—one of the first settlers in the Auckland province—, and granddaughter of the Rev. Mr. Cowell—one of the early missionaries. Mr. Wilson left a family of seven children.
Mr. J. G. Wilson.