The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]
Okaihau, which, being interpreted, means a dinner or meal of wind, was first settled under the Homestead Act by special settlers from Canada, North America, in 1864. It is a very pleasant locality, and the land is used chiefly for pastoral purposes. Dairying has hitherto been the mainstay of the district, which should become the centre of a large dairy factory, as there are two fine valleys in its immediate neighbourhood. Okaihau has a post, telegraph and money order office and savings bank, and all are under the charge of Mr. H. S. Robinson, storekeeper. There are two churches, an Anglican and a Wesleyan, and a site has now (May, 1901) been laid off for a Roman Catholic chapel. An interesting circumstance connected with the recent history of Okaihau is that, through the efforts of the Rev. Canon Walsh, the remains of some soldiers who were killed during the Heke war of 1844–45 have been removed from near Lake Omapere and re-interred in the English churchyard, where a neat headstone has been erected to their memory. Okaihau has a public hall, and also a public school, which is under the charge of Mr. Thomas Read. The Waihoa Valley branches off at the entrance to the settlement, and forms part of the parish. The flats are of extra good quality for agricultural purposes, but are mainly in the hands of the Maoris; and the land in the occupation of Europeans is of medium quality, and used for pastoral purposes. It carries grass well, and its adaptability for fruit-growing is proved by the orchards of Messrs James McKenzie, J. White, A. Alexander and R. Blundell. The lower portion of the valley is called Rangiahua, where there is a post and telegraph office in charge of Mr. Ogle, storekeeper, hotelkeeper and bush contractor. The tidal waters of Hokianga reach Rangiahua, where a strongly constructed bridge spans the river and leads to Victoria Valley and the northward.
Buchanan, Thomas George. Mr. Buchanan was born in Russell in 1869, and is a son of the Rev. S. Buchanan. He began life at Russell, where he remained for fourteen years, and was afterwards at Ponsonby, Auckland, for two years, and then at Pukekohe. Removing to Patea, he was in the employment of Messrs J. Donovan and Co. for twelve months, and then, in 1897, he took over the business which had been established at Okaihau, in 1879, by Captain H. C. Burleigh. Mr. Buchanan is well known in football, cricket, and tennis circles.
Mr. T. G. Buchanan.