The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]
The Awanui Public School
The Awanui Public School was opened as it has school about 1875, but since 1889 it has been a Board school for both Maori and European children, and the former are nearly equal to the latter in numbers and general ability. The school grounds occupy an acre and a half, and the building will accommodate fifty-six scholars. There are forty-nine on the roll, with an attendance, varying from thirty in the winter to forty-five in summer. Two scholars in 1898 did well in scholarship examinations; a European obtaining a certificate of proficiency in the Board examination, and a Maori was placed fourth in that for the Te Maharini.