The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]
Kaukapakapa is a progressive district on the Kaipara, in the county of Waitemata. There are many settlers with comfortable farms in the district, in which the land is of good quality, and there are numerous orchards. There are two churches—Presbyterian and Wesleyan—two hotels and two stores, daily communication by rail, and a daily mail service. The place is also connected with Helensville by telephone.
Kaukapakapa Post Office, Money Order, Savings Bank And Telegraph Office is located at Mr. Dye's store, and is under the management of Mr. T. Marks.
The Kaukapakapa Public School opened in 1873 with seventeen pupils. It now has a roll of over ninety-four, with a staff of two pupil-teachers and a probationer, besides the headmaster.
Mr. G. W. Murray, Headmaster, was born in Dumbartonshire in 1840, and received his education in the Old Country. He came to New Zealand in 1863, and about twenty-three years ago decided to enter the teaching profession.
Dye, Frank, General Storekeeper, Gum and Timber Merchant, Kaukapakapa. This well known colonist was born in Suffolk, England, in 1847, and educated partly in London and partly at Dorset House Academy, Essex. At the age of thirteen years he came to New Zealand with his parents in the “Nimroud,” landing in Auckland in January, 1860. The late Mr. G. Dye, his father, having selected some land at Kaukapakapa, Mr. Dye went with his parents to settle on it. After some time he left home and eventually went to Auckland, where he learned the building trade. Whilst in Auckland he joined the first class militia, and served through the Waikato war. Some time after Mr. Dye again returned to Kaukapakapa and started business as a storekeeper on his own account. He has for a number of years carried on a large trade in kauri gum and timber, sometimes shipping the former to London and the latter to Melbourne, Auckland, and other ports. In public matters he has taken a prominent part, having been for many years chairman of the Kaukapakapa Road Board and a member of the school committee. He gratuitously acts as organist for both the Wesleyan and Anglican churches, and has always proved a willing helper in any scheme for the benefit of the district. Mr. Dye has been married twice, his first wife being a daughter of Mr. Allison, of Auckland, and the second a daughter of Mr. Marks, a local settler. His family consists of four sons and three daughters.
Mr. F. Dye.
Shine, Patrick, Storekeeper, Kaukapakapa. Mr. Shine was born in Tipperary in 1852, and came to the Colonies in 1854. He was educated in Auckland, and at the age of sixteen served as a volunteer under Col. Harrington against the rebels at Tauranga. His experience in the Colony has been a varied one; he was in business in Christchurch for a while and was afterwards on the Thames goldfields, but when hard times set in there he turned his attention to the gum trade, with which he has been connected ever since. He was with the Walker Gum Company for a time, and since then has been interested in general store-keeping, and the purchase and sale of gum in the Great Barrier Island, Tekao, Awanui, Hohoura, Kauaeranga, Mercury Bay, Tairua, Kaukapakapa, and Waiharera, where his headquarters are at present situated. His business operations extend over a radius of some twenty miles, and not infrequently include large transactions in general produce. He married the daughter of Mr. Neil McLennan, shipbuilder, of Auckland, and has three sons and three daughters.
Mr. C. H. Clinkard.
Dawson, William, Farmer, Phœnix Farm, Kaukapakapa. Captian Dawson was born in Norwich in 1830, and after receiving his education went to sea at the age of fourteen. In 1854 he was married to a daughter of Mr. Joseph Blyth, farmer, of Weybourne, and in February of the same year was appointed master of the barque “Auxiliar,” bound Home from India. His next ship was the “Unicorn,” in connection with which there were some very remarkable incidents. The “Unicorn” left Swansea with coal for Coquimbo, whence she went to the Cnincha Islands, where she loaded guano for Europe. After being three days at sea, she sprang a leak, and, making one foot of water per hour, she returned to Callao, where she was condemned, and her cargo was shipped into the “Cingalese.” After sailing this vessel also sprang a leak and returned to Valparaiso where she was condemned, and the cargo was transferred into the Chilian ship “Rosario.” This vessel got so far as the Horn, where she sprang a leak. The crew took to the boats and were eventually picked up, but the “Rosario” foundered while they were in sight of her. Thus the cargo of the “Unicorn,” after being in three different vessels, went to the bottom in the Chilian ship “Rosario.' Mr. Dawson then joined a Peruvian barque on the coast of Peru, and next had command of the barque “Sebastopol,” trading to Australia for two years. He then gave up a seafaring life and left for New Zealand in the ship “Phœnix” (after which his farm is named), arriving in Auckland in 1860. Shortly after his arrival he purchased a property of 200 acres of bush land at Kaukapakapa, and settled on it with his wife and adopted daughter. Captain Dawson has taken an active part in all local affairs during his residence of forty-one years, and has been eighteen years superintendent of the Sunday School, and for twenty years President of the Blue Ribbon Army.
Drinnan, James, Farmer, Kaukapakapa. Mr. Drinnan was born in Ayrshire in 1855, came to New Zealand with his parents in the ship “Commodore Perry” in 1860, and was educated in Auckland. His father went to the Hokitika diggings, where he disappeared and was never heard of again. Mr. Drinnan finally settled in Kaukapakapa, where he entered into business as a store keeper. Some years ago he acquired his present property. “Waikaitea Estate,” which consists of 2000 acres, 1000 of which are under cultivation, the whole carrying about 1400 sheep and 150 head of cattle. The homestead is a one storey wooden building of nine rooms. Mr. Drinnan has been a member of the Kaukapakapa Road Board [gap — reason: illegible]nce its formation, and is also a member of the school committee. He has been for over twenty years engaged in the timber trade and ships cargoes direct to the Old Country; during that period he has shipped several million feet of timber. He is married to a daughter of Mr. Gavin B. Shanks, formerly of Glasgow, but now a settler in the district.
Mr. and Mrs J. Drinnan.
Walsh, Martin, Farmer, Kaukapakapa. This old and respected settler was born at Kilkenny in 1830 and received his education by private tuition. His ancestors for many generations had been tenant farmers in the county and Mr. Walsh was brought up to agriculture. In 1860, he resolved to come to the colony and sailed for Auckland per ship “Northern Bride.” Kaukapakapa was a new district at that time and Mr. Walsh was one of its pioneer settlers. His residence occupies a prominent site on a farm of 360 acres, besides which he has another property of 700 acres up the main road. He was appointed a Justice of the Peace in 1884. Mrs. Walsh is also a native of Ireland and her maiden name was the same as her husband's. They have a family of two sons and four daughters. Mr. Walsh, who has proved himself a sterling colonist, is a hale and hearty old gentleman.
Mr. M. Walsh.