The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]
Te Aroha is one of the most favoured and most famous places in the North Island. It is situated on the bank of the river Thames in Piako county, and is celebrated for its fine thermal springs and the beautiful Te Aroha mountain, which rises above the township to a height of 3126 feet. It is a goldfields township, and the district was proclaimed on the 18th of November, 1880. It can hardly be said that the local gold mines have been a success, though at Waiorongomai, which is referred to elsewhere, goldmining is still carried on with remunerative results. Te Aroha, however, has come into prominence in recent years as a resort for tourists and invalids on account of the marvellously curative effects of its hot mineralised springs. It is a borough and has a local water supply. There are three fine hotels, and a large number of boardinghouses, and plenty of business premises. The Waihou river winds picturesquely round the township, and splendid views of the surrounding country can be obtained by climbing the mountain. For a number of years Te Aroha railway station was the terminus of the line from Auckland. The Anglican, Wesleyan, Presbyterian, and Roman Catholic churches are represented in the district. Te Aroha has a large public hall and a flourishing Government school, a post and telegraph office, and a newspaper, and had a population of 888 persons at the census of April, 1901.
Borough of Te Aroha.
The Borough Of Te Aroha. This borough was constituted on the 2nd of May, 1898 and for ten or twelve years prior to that date the township was under the jurisdiction of a Town Board. As now constituted, the borough has an area of about 1000 acres, and occupies the slope which extends from the banks of the picturesque river Waihou to the forest-clad sides of Te Aroha mountain. It contains ratable properties, including 200 dwellings, with a total ratable annual value of £5500; and the annual general rate is 9d, and the water rate for domestic supply 7d, in the £. Within the boundaries there are about ten miles of roads and streets, mostly formed, and a large proportion is also metalled. At the constitution of the borough the council took over from the Piako County Council a loan of £840, as its proportion of the loan due by the Te Aroha riding. Besides this loan, the Council has obtained for waterworks a sum of £3000; both amounts, borrowed from the Government, bear interest at the rate of 3£1/2 per cent. The supply of water is obtained from the Tutumangeo stream and branch, and a reservoir with a capacity of 70,000 gallons has been constructed at an elevation of 260 feet. Mains are laid in all the principal streets, and all dwellings are connected with the supply. The Hot Springs Domain, described in another article, is situated within the limits of the borough, and is the main attraction for invalids and tourists. The council meets on the third Wednesday of each month at the Council Chambers in the office of the Domain Board, of which the Mayor and councillors are, ex officio, chairman and members respectively.
His Worship The Mayor, Mr. Walter Henry Wright, who was elected in April, 1901, was born in Tasmania in 1853, and came to New Zealand in April, 1893, by the s.s. “Monowai.” After being a year in Auckland he went on to Cambridge, where he purchased 250 acres of improved land, including two acres of orchard, a mile from the town. To facilitate the sale of his stock, he opened a butcher's shop in Cambridge. Before coming to New Zealand he farmed 300 acres of the best-known land in Tasmania, principally growing potatoes and rearing cattle. Mr. Wright was elected a member of the Cambridge Borough Council in September, 1896, and was a member of the Cambridge Road Board and school committee. He is now in business as a storekeeper at Te Aroha and Paeroa.
Mr. William Hill, Town Clerk and Treasurer of the Borough of Te Aroha, and Secretary and Treasurer of the Hot Springs Domain Board, was appointed to these offices on the constitution of the borough. He was born near Glasgow, Scotland, and was brought up to mercantile life. In 1890 he came to New Zealand by the s.s. “Kaikoura,” and was employed in Auckland at clerical work till 1896, when he removed to Te Aroha, and became a partner in the firm of McIndoe and Hill, saddlers. Mr. Hill is secretary of Lodge Te Aroha, No. 52.
Mr. Francis Pavitt, C.E. and J.P., is Engineer for the Te Aroha Borough Council and for the Waitoa Road Board. He was born in Essex, England, in 1834, served his apprenticeship as a civil engineer in London, and came out to Akaroa by the barque “Monarch,” in 1850. For ten years after his arrival in the colony, he was engaged in sawmilling on the Akaroa Peninsula, but in 1860 he removed to Christchurch, where he followed his profession till 1882, and since then he has been a resident of Te Aroha. Mr. Pavitt was a member of the Christchurch Engineer Volunteers from 1864 to 1875, and retired with the rank of captain. He was one of the founders of the Te Aroha Masonic Lodge, and became its first Master, having previously been W.M. of Lodge St. Augustine, Christchurch. Mr. Pavitt is chairman of the Te Aroha Cemetery Board, and is a member of the Waihou Domain Board. He has been a Justice of the Peace since 1888. Mr. Pavitt was married, in 1855, to the daughter of the late Mr. John Cuff, who sat for Akaroa in the House of Representatives during 1856–58, and has two sons and three daughters. Mrs Pavitt died in November, 1899.
The Te Aroha Hot Springs Domain is vested in the Te Aroha Hot Springs Domain Board, which dates from 1884. The members of the Board were elected by the inhabitants until the establishment of the local Borough Council, the mayor and councillors of which are now, ex officio, members of the Board. The domain is about sixty acres in extent, and has twelve chains frontage to the main road at Te Aroha. The lower portion of the domain is beautifully laid out in lawns, flower borders, and shady walks. There is a fine band rotunda in the centre of the main lawn, and the bath-houses are located in various parts of the grounds. The principal bath-house, which occupies the central position in the domain, was opened on the 24th of May, 1879, by the Hon. A. J. Cadman whose designs were carried out in the erection of the building, which cost the Government over £3000 for its erection. There are nineteen private baths in this building, which is considered the best appointed of its kind in the Southern Hemisphere. It is fitted on the most approved thermo-therauptic method. The reservoir of hot, clear, colourless water, which supplies this building, is distant about 200 feet from it, and contains about fifteen thousand gallons of water. In addition to the private bathhouses, there are a number of public bathhouses, the temperature of which varies from 92 to 102 degrees. The Te Aroha waters are also available for drinking purposes, and there are several springs having various medicinal qualities. The famous octagon contains eight hot drinking springs. It is well known to all visitors, and the water has a temperature of 109 degrees. Throughout the greater portion of the year the Hot Springs Domain presents a lively scene, games of tennis, croquet, and bowls being engaged in by convalescent invalids, visitors, and tourists. The upper portion of the domain extends up the slopes of the Te Aroha mountain, and is visited by numbers of travellers, who climb the shady walks, and are well repaid by the beautiful native bush and the magnificent peeps that are gained from time to time of the surrounding country. The office fronts the main road at the entrance to the domain, and so does the reading room, which is well supplied with newspapers and periodicals. There is also a private waiting room for ladies. Some idea of the popularity of Te Aroha as a bathing place may be gathered from a comparison of the revenue received by the Board for the four years, 1896 to 1899 inclusive, as follows; 1896, £720; 1897, £869; 1898, £907; 1899, £1041. The Board holds its meetings on the first Wednesday in each month.
Mr. James Muir, Hydropathic Specialist (1900) to the Te Aroha Hot Springs Domain Board, was born in Kilbarchan, Renfrewshire, Scotland, in 1870, and was educated at the public school. For about seven years he was employed in connection with the soft goods manufacturing trade in Glasgow. Owing to ill-health Mr. Muir went to Matlock in 1891, and after deriving great benefit from the treatment there, he decided to adopt hydropathy as a profession, with the conviction that those who intended to administer the treatment, should first of all go through the process themselves. He devoted himself closely to the study of the subject under the most prominent medical men and hydropathists in Great Britain. Since then he has occupied almost every position in leading hydropathic establishments, from that of bath attendant to that of manager; he has travelled with patients to such institutions, and for six months had the care of an invalid medical man. In 1898 he was appointed to take charge of Sir Thomas McIlwraith, ex-Premier of Queensland, on a voyage to Queensland, but the arrangement was cancelled owing to the patient being too ill to travel. As Mr. Muir himself had made full preparations to come out to the colonies, he left by the s.s. “Ormuz,” and his departure was thus noted in the “British Australian” of May, 1898: “Amongst the outward passengers of the ‘Ormuz’ is Mr. James Muir, who is proceeding to New Zealand, with the view to taking up the management of a hydropathic establishment or sanatorium in that colony Mr. Muir possesses the highest testimonials, and has had an almost unrivalled experience in all departments of hydropathic work in this country. He should prove an acquisition to the colony.” Three weeks after his arrival in Wellington Mr. Muir was appointed manager of the Seatown hydropathic establishment, and held the position for six months. He held an appointment for a similar period at the Postmaster and Pavilion baths at Rotorua, and afterwards acted as specialist, giving advice to invalids. Mr. Muir was appointed to his present position in February, 1900. He makes a speciality of hydropathic packing, known as the “Smedley” system, including liver-packs and the crisis treatment for dyspepsia, which is highly recommended by leading Auckland doctors. Since Mr. Muir's appointment to his present position the “packing” treatment has proved to be most efficacious, numerous testimonials from well-known people having been received to that effect, as many as 500 in four months. The following from the Premier will be read with interest: “Te Aroha, April 26th, 1900. Dear Mr. Muir.—I have much enjoyed the ‘Pack’ baths which I took under your direction. They had the same effects as Turkish baths, without causing the inconvenience or the endurance of the trying heat inseparable from the Turkish system. I very much regret that time will not permit my taking a proper course of your baths.—Yours truly, R. J. Seddon.”
Mr. J. Muir.
Piako County Council.
The Piako County Council was established in 1876. Members for 1900. Messrs W. P. Chepmell, chairman, A. J. Farmer, J. Jackson, H. Cox, J. Brady, M. Harrison, W. C. Ring, J. McCaw, C. C. Buckland; P. Gilchrist, Clerk. The county is page 826 divided into five ridings—namely, Waitoa, which returns three members; Te Aroha, two members; Patetere, two members; and Matamata and Taotaoroa, which return one member each. The county has an area of 1095 acres, with a total ratable value of £773, 482. The annual revenue derived from a rate of £1/2d in the £, amounted, together with Government subsidies, to £3725 in 1899. The Waiorongomai tramway, a public work which cost the Government over £15,000, is controlled and worked under the authority of the Council. At the census of 1901 the county had a population of 2432.
Councillor William Philip Chepmell, who has been Chairman of the Piako County Council since 1888, represents the Waitoa riding, and has been continuously a member of the Council since its commencement, on the 1st of January, 1877. Mr. Chepmell is also chairman of the Waikato Road Board, and a member of the Waikato Hospital and Charitable Aid Board. He was born at Sandhurst, in Berkshire, England, in 1842, and arrived in Auckland in 1861. His property, which is 685 acres in extent and nearly all in cultivation, is known as “Wairama.”
Councillor John Brady has represented Te Aroha riding on the Piako County Council since 1899, and has served on the Gordon school committee since 1892. He was born in County Galway, Ireland, in 1855, and arrived in Auckland, in 1867, by the ship “Orari.” Mr. Brady has resided in Gordon since 1886. His property, of about 1600 acres, was all in its native state when he took it in hand, but about 600 acres are now in grass, and some 400 head of cattle are depastured on the estate.
Councillor Hubert Cox, who was elected to the Piako County Council in November, 1899, as a representative of Te Aroha riding, is the son of Mr. Edward Young Cox, sometime of Shaftesbury, and now of Papanui Road, Christchurch He was born in 1866, in Surrey, England, and brought up to country pursuits. At Shaftesbury Mr. Cox is engaged in sheep and cattle farming on his father's estate of 3000 acres. He is a member of the Te Aroha Mounted Troop of Volunteers. In 1896 he married a daughter of Mr. H. Bankart, of Auckland, and has one daughter.
Councillor Andrew Joseph Farmer, who has represented the Waitoa riding on the Piako County Council since 1893, was born in 1866. When he was ten years of age he came with his parents to Auckland. His father settled at the Thames, where Mr. Farmer remained till 1889, and was for a number of years in the employment of Messrs S. Hetherington and Co., drapers. In 1889 he settled at Te Aroha West, where he remained till 1895, when he sold his interest, and bought about 2500 acres of land at Manawaru. Mr. Farmer subdivided this property, and sold a considerable portion of it, but retained 1000 acres, on which he has erected a large and commodious dwelling. Mr. Farmer is a member of the Waitoa Road Board and of the Waikato Hospital Board. He was married, in 1891, to a daughter of Mr. J. West, of Te Aroha. Mrs Farmer died in 1894, leaving one daughter.
Councillor Mark Harrison, who has represented Patetere riding on the Piako County Council for a number of years, was born at Horncastle, Lincolnshire, England, in 1855. He was brought up to agriculture in his native country, and came to Auckland in 1880 by the ship “Lady Jocelyn.” He entered the service of Messrs Maclean and Co., and has resided ever since in the Morrinsville and Lichfield districts. For about eight years he was manager of Locherbie estate, and has been in charge of Lichfield station since 1891. Mr. Harrison has served as a member of the Bay of Plenty Licensing Committee. He was married, in 1879, to a daughter of the late Mr. W. Baker, of Norfolk, and has one son and one daughter.
Councillor James Jackson, who has represented Waitoa riding on the Piako County Council since 1899, was born in 1866, in Auckland. He was brought up to agriculture, and has resided since November, 1880, at Te Aroha West, where he farms a property of 425 acres.
Councillor William Charles Ring, who has been a Member of the Piako County Council, on which he represents Patetere riding, since 1896, and served for two years on the Waikato Hospital Board, was born in Auckland in 1858. He was educated in his native place, brought up to country life, and became one of the first settlers in the Hinuera district, where he has resided since 1880. His property, which is known as “Berkley,” consists of 813 acres of freehold land, of which about 600 acres are in cultivation. Mr. Ring was married, in 1881, to a daughter of the late Mr. T. Gerrans, of Cambridge, and has seven daughters and two sons.
General Government Offices.
The Te Aroha Post And Telegraph Office is situated at the corner of Rewi and Boundary Streets, and was built about the year 1885. The building contains postmaster's residence and offices for the department. Sub-offices at Waiorongomai, Gordon, Shaftesbury, and Manawaru report to the Te Aroha office. About fourteen mails are despatched daily from the office, but there is no town delivery of letters. There are, however, thirty-six private boxes for the convenience of the public, and telegrams are promptly delivered in the borough. The staff consists of the postmaster, a cadet, and a messenger.
Mr. Thomas Edward Clough, Postmaster, Telegraphist, and Registrar of Births, Deaths, and Marriages, at Te Aroha, is an old colonist. He was born in London in 1843, and arrived at Lyttelton in October, 1864. After ten years of general colonial experience, gained at the Wakamarina diggings, in Westland, and elsewhere, he joined the telegraph department in Wellington. In 1876 Mr. Cough was transferred to Waipukurau for six months, and was then appointed postmaster at Te Awamutu, where he remained for twelve years. He has held office in Te Aroha since 1888.
Te Aroha Railway Station. The main line of railway from Auckland to Te Aroha was opened in 1885, and the line was completed through to the Thames at the end of 1898. The station buildings at Te Aroha are of wood, and include a ladies' waiting room, a public waiting room, a vestibule, stationmaster's office, ticket office, and parcels office. There is a long asphalted platform at the station, and there are three trains each way every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday, and two each way every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
Mr. Evan Rackley, Stationmaster in charge of the Te Aroha Railway Station, was born at Motueka, Nelson, in 1871, and was educated at Picton. In 1887 he became a cadet at the Picton railway station, where he remained six years. Mr. Rackley was transferred to the goods department at Christchurch, where he continued till September, 1899, when he was appointed relieving stationmaster, and took up his duties at Te Aroha on the 27th of January, 1900. Mr. Rackley was married, in 1897, to the daughter of the late Mr. W. Harding, of Christchurch, and has one daughter.
The Te Aroha Goldfields District School, which was originally opened in June, 1881, has been conducted in the present building since 1897. A large playground surrounds the school, which is well sheltered, and there are two covered sheds for wet weather. The class-rooms are well fitted up and thoroughly ventilated, and have accommodation for 250 children. The number now (1900) on the roll is 212, with an average attendance of 197. The headmaster is assisted by two certificated teachers and two pupil teachers.
Mr. Alfred Fordyce Burton, Headmaster of the Te Aroha Goldfields District School, was born at Ruatanga, Whangarei, in 1866, and was educated at public schools and at the Auckland College and Grammar School. He commenced his scholastic career in 1886 as a student at the late Auckland Teacher's Training College; has been on the page 827 staff of the Auckland Education Board since 1888; and was appointed to Te Aroha in 1899.
The Te Aroha West Public School dates from 1883. It is a wooden building, with one class-room and a vestibule, and has accommodation for forty-eight children. There are fifty-seven scholars on the roll, and the average attendance is forty-five. The playground is completely sheltered by some very large pinus insignus trees, and the school grounds are about three acres in extent. The master is assisted by a pupil teacher.
Mr. Francis David Wood, Headmaster of the Te Aroha West Public School, was born in 1875 at the Thames. In 1891 he matriculated from the Thames High school. After serving a pupil teachership for three years and a half at the Te Aroha school, Mr. Wood was appointed to the Mahurangi Heads West school as sole teacher, and took up his duties at Te Aroha West in 1897. He is a member of all the athletic clubs in Te Aroha, and was one of the Piako Rugoy representatives in 1899.
St. Mark's Church, Te Aroha, is situated in Kenrick Street. It was built about 1886, and the adjoining vicarage in 1898. The church is of wood, and has accommodation for 140 worshippers. Services are held morning and evening each Sunday, and at the Sunday school in the afternoon, seventy-five children are frequently in attendance. The district to which the local vicar ministers includes Morrinsville.
The Rev. Edgar James Mcfarland, B.A., Vicar at Te Aroha, was born in 1857, in Londonderry, Ireland, and accompanied his parents to Auckland in 1862. He was educated at the Thames and the Auckland Grammar school, and graduated in the New Zealand University, in which he took his degree in 1882. He was ordained deacon in the same year, and priest in the following year. Mr. McFarland's first charge was Paeroa-cum-Katikati, where he was for one year. He was also for one year at the Bay of Islands, and after being for eleven years at Bombay (Pukekohe) he removed to Te Aroha in 1896. Mr. McFarland is a Freemason and a Past Master of the English Constitution. He was married, in 1888, to a grand-daughter of the Rev. Richard Taylor, of Wanganui, and has three sons and one daughter.
St. David's Presbyterian Church, Whitaker Street, Te Aroha, was built in 1898. There is seating accommodation for 150 persons, and services are held each Sunday evening. The resident minister holds services likewise at Waihou, Gordon, Walton, Manawaru, Morrinsville, and Waharoa. The Sunday school has sixty children on its roll.
The Rev. Thomas Walls, M.A., Minister in charge of the Presbyterian Church at Te Aroha, was born in Dunfermline, Fifeshire, Scotland. He graduated in arts, and studied theology at the University of Edinburgh, and was licensed by the Edinburgh Presbytery in 1880. Mr. Walls arrived in Wellington in 1893 by the s.s. “Ionic.” He was appointed to Woodville, but eighteen months later he took a trip to Scotland, and on his return in 1898 settled at Huntly, and subsequently at Te Aroha. Mr. Walls was married, in 1886, to a daughter of the late Mr. Lister, of London, and has two daughters and one son.
Te Aroha Roman Catholic Church is situated in Whitaker Street, not far from the Hot Springs Domain. It is a wooden building, and has accommodation for about 130 worshippers. The district, which is under the control of the Rev. Father Kehoe, extends from Paeroa Gorge to Matamata, and includes Morrinsville.
The Rev. Thomas Kehoe, Priest in charge of the Te Aroha District, was born in Wexford, Ireland, educated at St. Peter's College in his native county, and, having gone through a five years' theological course in Maynooth, was ordained priest in 1871. After nearly three years of duty at Home, he came to New Zealand in 1875, on account of his health, and has derived great benefit from his residence in the colony. Father Kehoe was stationed successively at Cromwell, Otago, and at Riverton, Southland, and was appointed to Te Aroha in 1885. In 1894 he removed to Tauranga, where he continued for two years. He then visited Europe, and on his return to the colony in 1897, he was re-appointed to the Te Aroha district.
The Wesleyan Church. The Upper Thames circuit of the Wesleyan Church has its headquarters at Te Aroha. The local church is situated at the corner of Bridge and Church Street, and the parsonage in Whitaker Street. The Upper Thames circuit includes Paeroa, Waihi, Karangahake, and Morrinsville, in addition to the districts immediately surrounding Te Aroha. There are sixteen preaching places, and three ministers in connection with the circuit, of which the Rev. C. Abernethy is (1901) superintending minister.
Rev. S. Griffith.
Lodge Te Aroha, No. 52, N.Z.C., was established in 1884. It has a membership of fifty, and holds its monthly meetings on the Monday nearest the full moon, in the Masonic Hall, Bridge Street. The officers (for 1900) are Messrs J. W. Anderson (W.M.); F. Pavitt (D.M.); H. Ross (S.W.); S. L. Bygrave (J.W.); J. W. May (treasurer); Rev. E. J. McFarland (chaplain); and W. Hill (secretary).
Court Te Aroha, A.O.F., No. 7599, was formed in 1899. It has twenty members, and meetings take place on the second Thursday in each month at the court room, Whitaker Street. Messrs S. L. Bygrave (C.R.), G. G. White (S.C.R.); J. T. Maingay (S.W.); J. B. Johnson (J.W.); G. R. Dansey (treasurer), and F. G. Lawn (secretary) were the officers for 1900.
The Te Aroha Agricultural And Horticultural Society was established in 1892. Officers for 1900: Mr. Herries, M.H.R. (patron); Mr. A. Bowler (president); Messrs H. Cox, S. L. Hirst, T. Gavin, W. H. Wright, Alex. Aitken, J. McNicol, T. Heath, John Allen, and W. Hetherington (vice-presidents); Mr. A. W. Edwards (treasurer); and Mr. F. M. Strange (secretary). The annual show, which includes both departments of the Society's work, is held in the month of February each year. It takes place at Waihou Domain, and is well patronised and supported by the residents of Te Aroha and surrounding districts.
Te Aroha Musical Society. Mr. W. H. Herries, M.H.R. (president); Messrs H. O. and F. G. Lawn, S. L. Hirst, J. W. May, M. Maingay, F. Woods (committee); A. J. Burton (treasurer), and W. Hill (secretary). This society was founded in 1889, and has a membership of about sixty, including an orchestra of ten. The society has been successful with various classes of music, and it is intended if possible to give four concerts annually; the society is at all times ready to give its services for local charitable objects.
Mr. James McGregor, Conductor of the Te Aroha Musical Society and Orenestra, was born in 1868 in Auckland, where he was educated and brought up to a mercantile life. He was in business in the Mount Reskill district for about eighteen years. After a short sojourn in Sydney he returned to Auckland, where he was employed by Mr. R. W. Gallagher for a time, and subsequently became foreman of Mr. Robert Rew's business. He settled at Te Aroha in 1898, and has since occupied the position of manager of Mr. W. H. Wright's store. Mr. McGregor gained his musical education in Auckland and Sydney; he was a pupil of the late Herr Schmidt, and took lessons from Madame Trebelli during his residence in Sydney. He was a member of the Auckland Choral Society and the Auckland Amateur Operatic Club, and was for five years conductor of St. Alban's Anglican choir. Mr. McGregor has accumulated a valuable musical library, which includes an excellent selection of works by popular authors. He was married, in 1898, to a daughter of the late Mr. Edward Parker, of Auckland.
Featon, Miss E. L. This young lady is a vocalist of no mean order; she is a daughter of Mr. John Featon who wrote “The Waikato War,” and who is well known in mining circles. She was a pupil of Prof. Carl Schmitt for two years, and in order to seek further tuition went to Australia, where she was for eighteen months under M. Recardi. Miss Featon returned to Auckland in 1892, and has appeared before the Auckland public on many occasions. She sang with Mr. Gee up to the time of his departure from the Colony. At the early age of 15 years she was a soloist in the Choral Society. Miss Featon took the contralto solos in “The Woman of Samaria,” and made a successful appearance in “Judas Maccabeus.” She took a prominent part in “Princess Ida,” when she was as usual accorded a good reception.
“The Te Aroha And Ohinemuri News,” which was founded in 1883, was at one time owned by Mr. William Wilkinson, and subsequently by Mr. Henry Brett, of Auckland. The present proprietor, Mr. John C. Allen, has owned the journal since 1899. The “News” is printed thrice a week, and is a double demy sheet, with seven columns on each page. It circulates in the Waikato and Ohinemuri districts, and is well supported by the public. In politics the paper professes Independent Liberal principles. The offices, which are in Whitaker Street, contain an adequate newspaper and jobbing plant.
Mr. James Tenison Maingay, Manager and Editor of the “Te Aroha and Ohinemuri News,” was born in 1872 at the Thames, where he was educated. He entered the local newspaper office as a lad in 1884, and has worked his way through every grade to the position he now occupies. Mr. Maingay has served as a member of the local school committee, and was one of the earliest to enroll himself in the Te Aroha Rifles, of which he is lance-sergeant. He is a Freemason, and acts as organist of Lodg Te Aroha, and he also takes a general interest in athletics.
Mr. J. T. Maingay.
The Te Aroha Magistrate's and warden's court is situated in Rewi Street. The building, which is of wood, contains a large court-room, with offices for the magistrate, clerk of court, and bailiff. It was erected in 1880, when the district was proclaimed a goldfield.
The Te Aroha Police Station is situated in Rewi Street, and was erected in 1883. The building is of wood, with a verandah, and contains six rooms for the use of the officer in charge, and a lock-up with two cells behind the station building. The first police station in the district was a mere hut, and was opened at the commencement of the goldfields in 1880. The district extends from Matamata to Tehce-o-Tainui (Tainui's paddle), and from Morrinsville to Te Aroha Mountain, and is forty miles long by twenty miles wide.
Mr. Frederick A. Wilde, Constable in charge of the Te Aroha Police District, Bailiff of the Magistrate's Court, Inspector of Factories and Slaughterhouses, was born in Landport, Portsmouth, Hampshire, England, in 1846. He arrived in Auckland in June, 1863, by the ship “Aloe,” and served in the militia and volunteers during the Waikato war. In 1868, he joined the Armed Constabulary, and was for ten years a trooper in the Waikato. He was then transferred to the Police Department, and was stationed in Hamilton for over ten years, and went to Te Aroha in 1888. Ten years later, he was transferred to Devonport, where he continued for one year, and returned to Te Aroha in 1899. Mr. Wilde was married, in 1871, to the daughter of the late Mr. W. White, of Looe, Cornwall, and has six sons and six daughters.
Robson, George, Chemist and Druggist, Whitaker Street, Te Aroha. This business was established in 1882 by the proprietor, who keeps a complete stock of toilet goods and drugs.
Professional, Commercial and Industrial.
Hirst, Samuel Luther, General Agent, Te Aroha. Mr. Hirst was born in Lancashire, England, in 1851, and when he was five years of age he accompanied his parents to Auckland by the ship “William Watson.” In 1872, Mr. Hirst settled at the Thames, and engaged in battery work as an amalgamist. Up till 1888 he was employed at the Victoria and Moanataiari batteries, and left the Thames to take charge of the Martha battery at Waihi. Six months later he removed to Waiorongomai to take charge, as amalgamator, of Messrs Firth and Clark's battery. Three years later he opened business in Te Aroha as a cordial manufacturer, and subsequently sold out and took up the agency of the Northern Steamship Company, for which he still acts. Mr. Hirst is agent at Te Aroha for the National Insurance Company and New Zealand Loan and Mercantile Agency Company, and undertakes general agency work. He holds a farm of 200 acres at Manawaru, where he keeps cattle and sheep. In the days of the Te Aroha Town Board, Mr. Hirst was at one time chairman, and was for a long time a member of that body. He is a Freemason, and is attached to the local lodge. He was for seven years a member of the Thames Navals, under Captain Wildman. Mr. Hirst was married, in 1874, to a daughter of the late Mr. James Gribble, of Hamilton, and has four sons and four daughters.
Crombie, Robert Edward, General Photographer, Whitaker Street, Te Aroha. Mr. Crombie's studio is centrally situated in the township. He undertakes all classes of photography, including landscape, portraiture, and enlargements. Mr. Crombie is of Scottish descent, but gained his experience in his profession in England. On coming to New Zealand he settled in Te Aroha, and established his present business.
Bygrave, Samuel Leonard, Baker and Storekeeper, corner of Bridge and Whitaker Streets, Te Aroha. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand, Ohinemuri. This business was established by the proprietor in 1895. The premises consist of a shop, dwelling, and bakery. Mr. Bygrave does a large trade, and has a considerable connection. Mr. Bygrave was born at Stotfold, Staffordshire, England, in 1865, and was educated and brought up to the business of a baker and storekeeper in his native place, where he was for a time in business on his own account. He came to New Zealand by the ship “Kaikoura,” in 1887, and settled in the Auckland provincial district, where he followed various occupations for several years. In 1895 he removed to Te Aroha, and established himself in business as a baker and storekeeper. Mr. Bygrave was elected a member of the Te Aroha Town Board in 1895, and continued to hold his seat until the establishment of the Borough Council, of which he was one of the original members. He is attached to the local Foresters' Court, and held office as Chief Ranger in 1900. As a Freemason he is Junior Warden of the local lodge. Mr. Bygrave was married, in 1891, to the daughter of Mr. J. Bew, brickmaker, Te Aroha, and has one daughter.
Dibsell, William, Baker and Storekeeper, Whitaker Street, Te Aroha. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Mr. Dibsell's premises consist of a double shop and dwelling, with a large verandah, with bakehouse at the rear. Mr. Dibsell does a bakery trade, which covers over ten miles of country. He was born in Middlesex, England in 1835, and learned his trade in London, where he continued until 1862, in which year he arrived in Auckland by the ship “Ironside.” In the year 1865–6, he was baking for the troopship “Tauranga,” and in 1868 he settled at the Thames, where he was for five years in business in partnership with Mr. G. A. Douglas. In 1879 he commenced business as a hotelkeeper at Waihou, and settled in Te Aroha in 1884, when he established his present business. For two years Mr. Dibsell was a member of the Te Aroha licensing bench. He is interested in farming, and owns about 100 acres in the district.
Mills, James, J.P., Builder, Te Aroha. Mr. Mills was born near Rechdale, England, in 1833, brought up to the trade of a builder, and arrived in Auckland in January, 1880, by the ship “Ben Nevis.” Mr. Mills settled in Te Aroha in 1882, and has erected many dwellings in the district. He served for six years as a member of the Town Board, and was the leader of the movement in favour of the municipal form of government. Mr. Mills has also been a member of the Piako County Council and Waikato Hospital and Charitable Board.
Wallace, David Mclean, Coachbuilder and General Blacksmith, Te Aroha; Agricultural Implement and Coachbuilding Works, corner of Whitaker and Bridge Streets, Te Aroha. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, Koromiko. Mr. Wallace established his business in 1893. The buildings are extensive, and were adapted for a business with such separate departments as general blacksmithing, engineering, coachbuilding, painting, and horse-shoeing. Mr. Wallace employs six assistants in connection with the establishment. Mr. Wallace was born in Glasgow, Scotland, in 1852. In 1872 he came to Auckland in the ship “Durham.” He settled in the Waikato, where he had two years' experience as a blacksmith, and during the preceding seven years, he was successively with Messrs Cousins and Atkin, of Auckland, Mr. Wallace, of Otahuhu, and Mr. McIntyre, of Onehunga. In 1881, he became blacksmith at the Huntly coal mines, and four years later he joined the firm of Paddy and Wallace at Ngaruawahia. In 1889 he removed to Waiorongaomai and began on his own account, and has been in business at Te Aroha since 1893. Mr. Wallace has long been a member of the local school committee, and is a member of Lodge Te Aroha, No. 52, N.Z.C. He was married, in 1832, to a daughter of Mr. A. Dawson, of Ngaruawahia, and has four sons and two daughters.
Menzies and Co. (G. Sherlock, manager), Cordial Manufacturers, Whitaker Street, Te Aroha. Head office, Thames. Branches, Waihi, Paeroa, and Hamilton. The plant of the Te Aroha branch of this well-known firm's business consists of a four-horse-power steam engine, with aerated water machinery, J. Tyler and Son's quart bottler and McEwan's patent bottler. The district supplied from this centre includes Waiorongomai, and extends towards the Waikato.
Mr. George Sherlock, Manager of the Te Aroha Branch of Messrs Menzies and Co.'s business, was born in 1853, in Staffordshire, England. He came to Auckland with his parents by the ship “William Miles,” in 1861, and was for several years employed in connection with the crockery trade in Auckland. At the opening of the Thames goldfield he found employment in mining, and afterwards in battery work till 1880. Mr. Sherlock was afterwards for about three years a partner in the firm of Sherlock Brothers, butchers. After having about eight years' experience in connection with the cordial manufacturing business, he was appointed to his present position in 1896. Mr. Sherlock was married, in 1876, to a daughter of the late Mr. A. G. Nichol, of Auckland. This lady died in 1879, leaving two daughters, and Mr. Sherlock contracted a second marriage with a daughter of Mr. H. Crawley, of Napier, and by her he has two sons and two daughters.
Mr. G. Sherlock.
Edwards, Alexander Watson, Draper, corner of Boundary and Whitaker Streets, Te Aroha. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. This business was established in 1887 by the present proprietor. The premises are large and centrally situated in the main street, and the building comprises two shops and an office. There are separate departments for drapery and boots, and each department contains a large and well-assorted stock. Mr. Edwards is interested in farming at Waiorongomai and Te Aroha, and has about 200 acres altogether. He breeds thoroughbreds and cattle. Mr. Edwards is an honorary member of the Te Aroha Rifles. Born in Forfarshire, Scotland, in 1858, he came to Victoria with his parents when he was ten years of age. Two years later the family came to Auckland, and settled at the Thames, where he was apprenticed to the drapery business. Mr. Edwards afterwards had five years of Australian experience, and was one year in Melbourne, and four in Sydney. On his return to New Zealand he settled at Te Aroha, and founded his present business. Mr. Edwards is a member of the Waihou Domain Board, and is treasurer of the Te Aroha Agricultural Association and of the local jockey club. He was married, in 1892, to a daughter of Mr. Lipsey, of Te Aroha, and has one son and four daughters.
May, John William, Draper, Boot and Shoe Importer, Whitaker Street, Te Aroha. This business was established in 1898. Mr. May was born at Reading, England, and came to Otago in 1875. He learned his business in Dunedin, and after being a commercial traveller for some years, he settled in Te Aroha.
Grand Hotel (Patrick O'Meagher, proprietor), Whitaker Street, Te Aroha. This fine building, which is of wood, and two stories in height, with a verandah and balcony, has from forty to fifty rooms, including thirty-seven bedrooms, seven sitting rooms, a large dining room with seats for fifty guests, and baths supplied with hot and cold water. The Grand Hotel is situated opposite the Hot Springs Domain, and is one of the most popular hostelries in the township.
Mr. Patrick O'Meagher, the Proprietor, was born in Tipperary, Ireland, in 1854. He enlisted at the age of seventeen in the 98th Prince of Wales Foot, saw service in the Ashantee war of 1874, under Lord Wolseley, and served altogether twelve years, including a period in Jamaica. While in the West Indies, he was for four years butler to the Hon. John Devereaux, and for a short time to Viscount Valencia, late of the 10th Hussars. During his residence in Jamaica, he was for two years in charge of the officers' mess. page 831 For a time he served in Malta, where he was one of the men selected to wait on the Prince of Wales on his return from India, and on that occasion the Prince presented the regiment with new colours. Mr. O'Meagher was one of the original members of the Te Aroha Borough Council. He was married, in 1877, to the daughter of the late Mr. Cripps, of Brighton, England and has three daughters.
Hot Springs Hotel (William Henry Knock, proprietor) Whitaker and Boundary Streets, Te Aroha. This is a large two-storey building, with a verandah and balcony on two sides. It has sixty rooms, forty of which are bedrooms, and there are five sitting rooms, exclusive of the bar parlours. The dining room has seating accommodation for one hundred guests, and there is a large billiard room.
Palace Hotel (Mrs Anna Rose Smardon, proprietress), Whitaker Street, Te Aroha. The “Palace” is the oldest hotel in the borough. It was built in 1880 by Mr. J. W. Walker, who conducted it for a time. In 1890, the late Mr. S. J. Smardon became proprietor, and conducted the business until his death in 1899. Since that time it has been carried on by his widow. The hotel is a two-storey wooden building, with verandah and balcony. It contains sixty rooms, of which fifty are bedrooms. The sitting rooms number eight, and the dining room has accommodation for one hundred persons.
Johnson, John Benjamin, Plumber, Tinsmith, Ironmonger, etc., Whitaker Street, Te Aroha. The business was established in 1882 by the firm of Bedford and Johnson, but Mr. Johnson afterwards became sole proprietor. Mr. Johnson was born at Capetown in 1864. When he was two years old his parents came to New Zealand, and he was brought up to the trade of a plumber at the Thames, where he worked till settling at Te Aroha. He has served on the Te Aroha Licensing Bench, school committee, Town Board, and Hot Springs Domain Board, and was one time sergeant of the Te Aroha rifle corps.
McIndoe And Hill (Thomas McIndoe, J.P., and William Hill), Saddlers and Harness Makers, Whitaker Street, Te Aroha. This business was established in the early days of the goldfield, by Mr. David Brigham. The present proprietors have owned it since 1891.
Roberts, William Ascot, Butcher, Whitaker Street, Te Aroha. Mr. Roberts was connected with the trade in Te Aroha for several years, in conjunction with Mr. John Rowe, under the style of Roberts and Rowe, but since 1894, he has been in business on his own account. His premises are in the main street, and consist of a shop and dwelling, and the slaughterhouse is situated on a section of 100 acres of leasehold land. Mr. Roberts was born in 1864 at Howick, where he was educated and learned his trade and began business in 1899 as a butcher and farmer at Pakarangi with a brother, under the style of Roberts Bros. He settled in Te Aroha two years later. Mr. Roberts is a member of the Te Aroha Jockey Club. He was married, in 1892, to a daughter of Mr. Charles Pye, Pakarangi, and has one daughter.
Rowe, John, Butcher, Whitaker Street, Te Aroha. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand, Ohinemuri. This business was founded by Mr. James Rowe, father of the present proprietor, who has conducted it since 1896. The site of the premises was acquired in 1897, and a new building was completed in January, 1900. It is a large and handsome shop, with plenty of ventilation, and has a fine verandah in front. Behind the main shop there is a room for the preparation of small goods, the usual plant being employed in the work. The private residence adjoining has five rooms. Mr. Rowe's slaughterhouse is situated at Te Aroha West, where there are paddocks extending over 350 acres. Mr. Rowe has customers in the large agricultural districts surrounding Te Aroha. He is a member of the local Masonic Lodge, and held office as Inner Guard in 1900. Mr. Rowe was in the Te Aroha Rifles for some time. He takes an interest in sport, and is one of the stewards of the Te Aroha Jockey Club.
Mr. J. Rowe.
Hetherington, William, and Co., Importers and Drapes, Te Aroha. This business is the largest of its kind in the district, and was established in 1889 by Mr. William Hetherington in conjunction with his brother. Mr. Samuel Hetherington, of Thames. The business has largely increased since then, and the premises have several times been extended to meet the demands of the trade. Messrs Hetherington and Co. carry a large and well-assorted stock, and import largely from English manufacturers.
Mr. William Hetherington, the resident managing partner, is a man of large experience. Born at Lurgan, Ireland, he, at fifteen years of age, became employed in the soft goods trade, and spent about fifteen years in large wholesale and manufacturing houses. In 1874 he sailed for New Zealand, in the ship “Loch Awe,” and on his arrival he entered the employment of his brother, Mr. S. Hetherington, who carries on a large drapery establishment at the Thames, and continued with him until he embarked in his present enterprise. Mr. Hetherington has been an active member of the Wesleyan Church for many years, and on his arrival at Te Aroha he became associated with that church. He is now one of the trustees and circuit stewards.
Mr. W. Hetherington.
Lawn, Mrs H. A. (F. Lawn, manager), Stationer, Fancy Goods Dealer and Tobacconist, Whitaker Street, Te Aroha. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. This business was established by the late Mr. Charles Balcke in 1885. Mr. Balcke died in 1892, and the business was subsequently conducted by his widow until 1898, when Mrs Balcke married Mr. F. Lawn, who has since occupied the position of manager. The premises consist of a double fronted shop in a central position in Te Aroha, and a large and general stock of stationery and fancy goods, including clocks, is kept by the proprietress. There is a large connection throughout the district.
Mr. F. Lawn, the Manager, was born in Greymouth, in 1884, and was educated at Reefton, where he was brought up as a miner. In 1896 he removed with his parents to Te Aroha, and was engaged in mining until his marriage. Mr. Lawn is a member of the Te Aroha Musical Society and Orchestra. He holds the office of sergeant in the Te Aroha Brass Band, and is a member of the local Foresters' Court, of which he is senior beadle.
Williams, John, Wholesale and Retail Storekeeper, Te Aroha. Mr. Williams was born in County Kerry, Ireland, in 1842. His father was a dyer and manufacturer of woollen goods, and he learned that business. In January, 1863, he came to New Zealand, in the ship, “Captain Cook,” landing at Lyttelton. For a while he worked in the bush, but he afterwards went to the alluvial gold diggings page 832 in the province of Marlborough, where he embarked in mining, and subsequently removed to the West Coast goldfields, where he was very successful. In 1882 he went to Wellington, and for two years was engaged in general mercantile pursuits. He was then in Auckland for a short period, and he finally settled at Te Aroha in 1890, and built up a large and extensive trade. In 1893, he was burned out, and a year later he built large and commodious premises. Mr. Williams sold his business in 1899 to Mr. Henry Wright, but opened another store in Whitaker Street, Te Aroha. He is largely interested in mining, and was associated with the Rev. Joseph Campbell in the Montezumas and Mount Morgan Special Claims.
Mr. J. Williams.
Wright, Walter Henry (James McGregor, manager), General Storekeeper and Produce Merchant, Whitaker Street, Te Aroha; chief establishment, Normanby Street, Paeroa. The business conducted by Mr. Wright as a branch at Te Aroha was formerly owned by Mr. John Williams. It was bought by Mr. Wright in 1899, and has since then been carried on by him. Mr. James McGregor, the manager, is referred to in another article as the conductor of the Te Aroha Musical Society and Orchestra.
Gallagher, E., Coach Proprietor, Te Aroha. Mr. Gallagher was born in Ireland, in 1842, and accompanied his parents to Auckland when he was only two years old. The Auckland provincial district has ever since been his home. Mr. Gallagher has had much to do with horses, and has for the greater part of his lifetime been engaged in carting contracts or as a coach and livery stable proprietor. He removed to the Thames in 1867, and became the pioneer of the coach line to Paeroa and Te Aroha. Subsequently for many years he run a line of coaches to Morrinsville from Te Aroha. In 1878 he acquired a farm at Puriri, and worked it for about six years. He established his business as a coach and livery stable proprietor in Te Aroha in 1881, and has been intimately connected with the town since that time. Mr. Gallagher entered into the work of local government as a member of the Te Aroha Town Board in 1886, and was almost continuously member or chairman till the establishment of the Borough Council, of which he was one of the original members. For a number of years he was chairman of the Te Aroha licensing bench, and was a member of the local cemetery trust and recreation reserve board. In the troublcus days of the Maori war Mr. Gallagher served with the Colonial Defence Force under Colonel Nixon from July, 1863, to September, 1864. He was present at all the engagements in the Waikato campaign, and holds the New Zealand war medal for his services. As Mayor of Te Aroha (1900) he was, ex officio, chairman of the Hot Springs Domain Board. Mr. Gallagher was married, in 1865, to a daughter of the late Mr. Lamph, of Armagh, Ireland. There are no children of the marriage.
Baine, Peter, Timber and Coal Merchant; Yards, corner of Brick and Whitaker Streets, Te Aroha. This business, which has been in existence for many years, includes the agency of the Mountain Rimu Timber Company, Limited, which has a bush at Mamaku, near Rotorua. Mr. Baine keeps a large stock of timber generally, including kahikatea, kauri and rimu, in his yards. He supplies wholesale and retail throughout the district, and employs about half a dozen teams in connection with his carrying and general trade. Mr. Baine was born in County Wexford, Ireland, in 1865. At the age of fifteen he went to America. Two years later he came to New Zealand, via San Francisco. He was engaged in mining in the Cromwell district, Otago, from 1882 to 1889, and settled at Te Aroha in August, 1889, and established his business as a timber and coal merchant in 1890. Mr. Baine married a daughter of Mr. M. Hotchin, of Te Aroha, and has three daughters and one son.
Bailey, Benjamin, Settler, Te Aroha West. Mr. Bailey was well known in Auckland as the headmaster of the Ponsonby public school, from November, 1874, to February, 1900. He has forty acres of freehold in Te Aroha West, and has built a comfortable residence. Mr. Bailey was married, in 1876, to a daughter of the late Mr. W. Lawrence, of Bristol, England, and has one son and one daughter.
Caudwell, Heber, Farmer, Te Aroha West. Mr. Caudwell was born in Surrey, England, and was brought up to agriculture. He came to Lyttelton by the ship “Durham” in 1880, and settled at Te Aroha West in the same year. His farm consists of 355 acres of freehold, and has been reclaimed from the wilderness by his own exertions. The beautiful trees which grow on the property were planted by him, and most of the improvements have been effected under his personal supervision. Mr. Caudwell has for a long time been a member of the Te Aroha West school committee, of which he was chairman for four years, and now holds office as secretary. He was married, in 1889, to a daughter of the late Mr. H. W. Reynolds, of Te Aroha West, and has four sons.
Lipsey Charles, Farmer, Te Aroha. Mr. Lipsey was born in County Leitrim, Ireland, in 1846, and was brought up to agriculture. He landed in Auckland in 1865, and remained in the city till the Thames was declared a goldfield. Mr. Lipsey then became proprietor of the Bendigo Hotel, and about two years later took over the Paeroa Hotel, which was the first licensed house in that township. Two years afterwards he settled in Te Aroh, and built the first hotel, the Hot Springs, which he conducted for about a year. He built the first weatherboard house in Te Aroha—a cottage of four rooms. Mr. Lipsey cultivates about 115 acres, part of Lipseytown, which covers a large portion of the borough of Te Aroha, and is the property of Mrs Lipsey and her son and daughter.
Morrison, Archibald, Farmer, Te Aroha West. Mr Morrison was born in Glasgow, and brought up to mercantile life. In 1861 he came to Auckland by the ship “Wigtonshire,” and settled at Te Aroha West in 1889. He has 170 acres of land, which is devoted chiefly to sheepfarming. Mr Morrison is chairman of the Te Aroha West school committee, and is a member of the Te Aroha chess club. He was married, in 1897, to a daughter of the late Mr. J. Addison, of Glasgow.
Rowe, Henry James, Farmer, Te Aroha West. Mr. Rowe was born in Cornwall, in October, 1830, and was brought up to agriculture. He came out to Victoria in 1854, and settled in Auckland in the following year. Until 1879 he resided in East Tamaki, but in that year he became one of the earliest settlers in the Te Aroha district, where he purchased a portion of his present farm of 390 acres, of which 260 acres are devoted to dairyfarming. Mr. Rowe served on the Waitoa Highway Road Board for three years, and has been a member of the Te Aroha Agricultural Society since 1898. For eleven years he was in business in Te Aroha as a butcher, but has devoted himself to farming since 1890. During the Maori war he served in a cavalry corps. At one time during his absence on duty, Mrs Rowe and three little children had to flee for safety on account of the Maoris. Mr. Rowe was married, in 1857, to a daughter of the late Mrs Roberts, of Cornwall, and has six sons and four daughters. Seven of his children are married, and there are thirty-three grandchildren.
Mr. and Mrs H. J. Rowe.
Sheat, James, Farmer, Te Aroha West. Mr. Sheat was born at Baltonsborough, Somersetshire, England, in 1839, and was brought up to agriculture. He came to Lyttelton by the ship “Lady Jocelyn,” in December, 1879, and after spending eighteen months in Canterbury, settled at Te Aroha West, where he purchased land from the Government, and has since planted and improved it. Mr. Sheat is a member of the Te Aroha West school committee. He was married, in 1863, to the daughter of the late Mr. George Pickford, of West Pennard, Somersetshire, and has three sons and three daughters.
Stanley, Thomas, Farmer, Te Aroha West. Mr. Stanley was born in Penzance, Cornwall, in 1847, and came to Auckland by the ship “Merrie May,” in 1869. Fifteen months later he removed to the Thames goldfields, where he became one of the first country settlers in the district, and built the first hose in it. In October, 1879, Mr. Stanley bought land at Te Aroha West, and has since considerably improved his holding, which now amounts to 500 acres of freehold. He has been a member of the Te Aroha West school committee since 1883. Mr. Stanley was married, in 1873, to a daughter of the late Mr. James Farmer, of Canada, and has three sons and five daughters.
Tattersall, James, Farmer, Te Aroha West. Mr. Tattersall was born in Manchester, England, in 1871. With his parents he arrived in Auckland by the ship “Miltiades,” in July, 1873. The family settled in Ponsonby, Auckland, where Mr. Tattersall's father was in business as a boot-upper manufacturer. In September, 1899, the family removed to Te Aroha West. Mr. Tattersall worked for a time on the farm, and was subsequently employed in farming work in the King Country, but returned to Te Aroha district in 1897. Mr. Tattersall has served for some time in the Te Aroha Rifles.
Walker, John Watson, Farmer, Te Aroha. Postal address, Thames. Mr. Walker was born in Aberdeen, Scotland, in 1827. He served a term in a merchant's office, and came out to Port Phillip, Victoria, in 1849, two years before the opening of the goldfields in that colony. Mr. Walker was at Bathurst, page 834 and was at the first “rush” of the Turon river, in 1869. He came to the Thames by arrangement to report on the mines, and was afterwards induced to take charge of the Long Drive mine; hence his soubriquet of “Long Drive Walker.” Mr. Walker was subsequently for several years in charge of the Kuranui Hill mine, and he afterwards went to Reefton on behalf of the Bank of New Zealand. In 1885 he turned his attention to Waihi, and, in conjunction with the Hon. Thomas Russell, he was successful in floating the Waihi Goldmining Company, which has since won more than a million pounds worth of gold. Mr. Walker personally managed the Waihi mine for about four years. In 1894 he went to London, and was again successful in floating the Waihi Grand Junction. Mr. Walker was a volunteer in Auckland for a number of years, and has been a leading rifle shot in both New Zealand and Australia. His farm in the Thames Valley consists of 638 acres of freehold land, and is utilised for cattle, sheep, and pig farming. Mr. Walker was married, in 1854, to the daughter of the late Mr. James Foote Dow, of Langlands Foundry, Melbourne, and has three sons and five daughters surviving.
Mr. J. W. Walker.
Mr. Thomas Gavin, J.P., of Te Aroha, was born at Howick, near Auckland, on the 10th of October, 1850. Until he was fifteen years of age he assisted his father, Mr. James Gavin, and followed the occupation of farming. In November, 1867, he moved to Thames, where he engaged in mining, and worked in some of the principal mines of that district. When the goldfields opened at Te Aroha, he went thither and pegged out a claim at Waiorongomai, called the “Colonist,” which was subsequently floated into a company at Auckland, and which Mr. Gavin managed very successfully for about two years. He has been identified with some of the largest and most important mines in the Te Aroha district, and has spent his money and time in developing properties, that have proved most valuable to investors. He was for some time mine manager to the Te Aroha Gold Mines Company, Ltd., which has since been bought out by Mr. Hardy, of Waiorongomai. Mr. Gavin is a thoroughly experienced and competent mine manager. During his residence at Thames he was for thirteen years a member of the Thames Volunteer Naval Brigade, and for nine years of that period he held the rank of first lieutenant. Mr. Gavin has always taken a very active interest in the municipal affairs of Te Aroha and district. When the Te Aroha Domain Board was formed, the Government appointed him one of its members, and he was for years its chairman, and also chairman of the Te Aroha Town Board, since superseded by the Borough Council. Mr. Gavin was for several years a member of the Piako County Council, and was re-elected in November, 1896, to represent the Te Aroha riding. During his tenure of that office he was one of the representatives of the county on the Waikato Hospital Board, and is at the present time one of the commissioners of the Ohinemuri Licensing Bench.
Mr. T. Gavin.