The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Auckland Provincial District]
Owharoa is about three-quarters of a mile nearer to Paeroa than Waikino is. It has a mine and battery owned by the Ohinemuri Syndicate. There are no stores at Owharoa, and there is only one boardinghouse.
The Owharoa Public School occupies a site of four acres, a short distance from the township of Waikino, on the other side of the river, over which there is a suspension bridge for foot passengers. The school has accommodation for seventy children; the exact number on the roll is sixty-eight, and the average attendance is about forty-five. The headmaster is assisted by one pupil teacher.
Mr. Frederick Elmsly, Headmaster of the Owharoa Public School, was born in 1862, at Otahuhu, and was educated at the public schools. He was for six years in the Telegraph Department at Ashburton. In 1886 he commenced teaching as a probationer at the Ponsonby school, Auckland, and became a certificated teacher under the Board. After holding office as relieving teacher at Bombay, and afterwards at Huntly, he was appointed sole teacher at Waitangi. A year later he studied for six months at the Auckland Training College, and was then appointed to the charge of the Queen's Redoubts school. He was then for a time relieving teacher at Grafton Road, and subsequently at Helensville. After being in charge at Awanui for four years, and at Hunua for seven years, he was appointed to Owharoa in February, 1900. Mr. Elmsly was married, in 1892, to a daughter of Mr. R. H. Dunn, late native teacher at Pamapuria.