The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
First Battalion North Canterbury Mounted Rifles
First Battalion North Canterbury Mounted Rifles.
Major Rochfort Snow, of the First Battalion of the North Canterbury Mounted Rifles, has been connected for a number of years with the volunteer movement in Canterbury. In 1887 he joined the Canterbury Mounted Rifles as a private, rose through the various grades, was elected lieutenant in 1892, gazetted captain in 1896, and major in 1901. Major Snow, who holds the position of Chief Clerk in His Majesty's Customs at Christchurch, was born in Dorsetshire, England. His education was begun at Bristol, England, and completed under the Rev. Dr Kinder, at Parnell, Auckland, New Zealand. He joined the Customs Department in Wellington, whence he was transferred to Dunedin, where he remained for five years. In 1871 he was transferred to Westport, where he remained until his removal to Christchurch in 1876. Major Snow is unwearying in the interest of volunteering. He is a member of the Canterbury Club, and a Freemason of high standing. He married Miss Norman, daughter of the late Mr Norman, of Papanui, a prominent and influential pioneer colonist, and has one son and five daughters.
Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.
Major R. Snow.
Captain Thomas Maude, Adjutant of the 1st Battalion North Canterbury Mounted Rifles, received his commission as lieutenant of the E Battery on the 6th of September, 1889, and was gazetted captain in April, 1902. Mr. Maude is a well-known solicitor of Christchurch, and a partner in the firm of Messrs Maude and Harman.
Captain Robert Heaton Rhodes, of the Canterbury Yeomanry Cavalry, was born at Purau, Lyttelton, on the 27th of February, 1861, and is the son of the late Mr. R. H. Rhodes, of “Elmwood,” Christchurch. He was educated partly in New Zealand and partly in England, and graduated B.A. at Brasenose College, Oxford. In 1890 he stood against Mr W. W. Tanner for the representation of Heathcote in Parliament, and polled 642 to Mr. Tanner's 854 votes. At the general elections on the 6th of December, 1899, he went to the poll for Ellesmere against Mr. W. H. Montgomery, received 1760 votes to his opponent's 1657, and thus won by a majority of 103. In February, 1902, Captain Rhodes left New Zealand as commander of F Squadron of the South Island Battalion of the Eighth Contingent for active service in South Africa. Captain Rhodes was married, in 1891, to Miss Clark, of Glenara, Victoria.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Captain R. H. Rhodes.
Lieutenant H. D. Buchanan, of the Canterbury Yeomanry Cavalry, is referred to elsewhere as proprietor of Kinloch estate, Little River.
Surgeon-Captain James Cecil Palmer, who was appointed to the Canterbury Yeomanry Cavairy on the 30th of September, 1898, is referred to in the medical section of this volume.
Captain Robert Macartney, of the Canterbury Mounted Rifles, is a son of Mr. Thomas Macartney, a well-known colonist of Tai Tapu, and was born in 1866. He has always taken a great interest in the volunteer movement, and first joined the Tai Tapu contingent of the Canterbury Mounted Rifles in 1896. Rising from the ranks through the various grades, he became sergeant-major in succession to Sergeant-Major Birland, who went to South Africa with the First Contingent, and was appointed captain of the Canterbury Mounted Rifles in 1901. Captain Macartney was the instructor of the Tai Tapu contingent who were the winners of the Challenge Cup for several years. He is referred to in another article as a farmer.
Lieutenant-Commanding W. M. H. McRae Peacock, of the B Company Canterbury Mounted Rifles, joined the corps as sub-lieutenant in 1899 and was gazetted Lieutenant-Commanding in 1901. Mr. Peacock, who is the step-son of the Hon. J. T. Peacock, was born at Christchurch in 1880.
Lieutenant William Gilmour, of the Canterbury Mounted Rifles, was born at Tai Tapu in 1873. He joined the Tai Tapu contingent of the Canterbury Mounted Rifles in 1897 as a private. Six months afterwards he was appointed corporal; was promoted to the rank of sergeant in 1899; in 1902 he was elected second-lieutenant, and is now first-lieutenant. He is referred to elsewhere as a farmer at Tai Tapu.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Lieut. W. Gilmour.
Captain J. Boag, of the Ellesmere Mounted Rifles, is the son of Mr J. Boag, proprietor of Middlerigg estate, Brookside, Ellesmere.
Lieutenant R. Parker Hill, of the Ellesmere Mounted Rifles, has been for a long time connected with volunteering. In 1865 he joined one of the first batteries of artillery formed in the colony, and be fore he resigned he had reached the rank of senior sergeant. He rejoined again in Christchurch in 1874, and became sub-lieutenant, and later on lieutenant; and he is now first lieutenant of the Ellesmere Mounted Rifles. Mr. Hill won the first two prizes that were shot for in the Lyttelton Battalion, and he won the district prize three years in succession, besides several minor prizes, cups, and medals. He represented the province on three different occasions, twice at Nelson, and once at Hokitika, where he shot second for the Champion Belt, and won prizes to the value of £70, including the North versus South Challenge Cup, valued at £25. Mr. Hill is referred to in another article as proprietor of the Royal Hotel, at Southbridge.
Lieut. B. P. Hill
Captain John Deans, of the Malvern Mounted Rifles, is the son of the late Mr. John Deans, who is referred to in another article in connection with the Riccarton estate.
Captain John Parkinson, of the Waimakariri Mounted Rifles, was born at Kaituna in 1871. He was educated at Christchurch, and after leaving school he went as a cadet to Burnt Hill, East Oxford, and subsequently to his father's station of Kaituna, where he passed his early years. Captain Parkinson is a gentleman rider, and amongst his trophies there is a Ladies' Bracelet, which he carried off at Oamaru in 1898.
Captain J. Parkinson.