The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Clephane, Robert, Farmer, Gapes' Valley. Mr. Clephane is the third son of Mr. Thomas Clephane, an old settler of Christchurch. He was born in Christchurch in the year 1866, and brought up to the occupation of a farmer on his father's farm near Ashburton. In 1890 Mr. Clephane took up his present property of 200 acres at Gapes' Valley, where he carriers on farming. He has been connected with sporting, and has always taken a great interest in the Geraldine Racing Club, on which he serves as a member of the committee. He is also a member of the school committee. Mr. Clephane is married to a daughter of the late Mr. G. F. Lovegrove, sometime of Scarborough Road, Kekerangu station, Marlborough, and has a family of four.
Lovegrove, Henry William, Farmer, Gapes' Valley. Mr. Lovegrove, who is the eldest son of the late Mr. G. F. Lovegrove, was born in Marlborough, in 1864, and was engaged with his father in the various places where they resided. He farms his present property, and cultivates fruit extensively. Like his father, he takes great interest in sporting affairs; he has won nine steeplechases in Canterbury, and has bred some of the best Hunt Club horses. Mr. Lovegrove has been a member of the South Canterbury Hunt Club, and of the Gapes' Valley school committee, of which he was chairman for several years.
Mr. H. W. Lovegrove.
Patrick, William, Farmer, Gapes' Valley.—Mr. Patrick was born in Ayrshire, Scotland, in 1835, and worked for about thirteen years in the coal mines. In 1860 he came to New Zealand in the ship “William Miles,” and landed at Lyttelton. He settled for a time at the head of Akaroa Bay; he was then engaged in the construction of the Lyttelton tunnel and afterwards went contracting and road making. In 1866 Mr. Patrick went to Hilton, where he took up a farm, which he worked for five years. He then went to Gapes' Valley, and took up the farm of which he has since resided. The property consists of 280 acres, and was, when bought by Mr. Patrick, all tussock land. It has been successfully cultivated, and the oat crops average forty bushels, and the wheat twenty-five bushels per acre. Mr. Patrick has been a member of the Gapes' Valley school committee for several years. He was married in the Old Country, and has a family of eight sons and six daughters.
Mr. and Mrs. W. Patrick.
Russell, William, Farmer, Hillside Farm, Gapes' Valley. Mr. Russell was born in Forfarshire, Scotland, in 1845, and was brought up to farming. He came out to New Zealand in the ship “Zealandia,” in 1872. For three years he was engaged in farming and contracting at Maheno, North Otago, after which he removed to Canterbury. He cropped for a season on the Levels estate, and then went to Waitohi, where he leased some land, which he worked for three years, when he bought some Government land in the neighbourhood, and settled on his present farm. At the end of two years he went to the Kakahu bush, and twelve years later returned to his farm. His wheat crops occasionally average forty bushels per acre, and oats fifty bushels. Mr. Russell was married at Maheno to Miss Proctor, and has five sons and three daughters.
Mr. R. P. Wells.
Mr. George Frederick Lovegrove, J.P., who was one of the very early colonists of New Zealand, was born at Maidenhead, Berkshire, England, in 1831; twenty years later he came to New Zealand in the ship “Phœbe Dunbar,” and landed at Wellington. His first engagement was with Sir Charles Clifford at Stonyhurst, and after working there for two years he was appointed manager. Seven years later he went to Flaxbourne, Marlborough, and managed that station for Messrs Clifford and Weld for a period of fifteen years. He then bought Benhopai station, Marlborough, and Kekerangu station in the same province, and resided at the latter place for three years. On coming to Canterbury he bought a large farm at Makikihi, and afterwards went to Castle Rock farm, Totara Valley. In 1891, he bought Brookside farm, Gapes' Valley, where he resided until his death, in 1894. He left a family of eight children. Mr. Lovegrove served on the Waimate Road Board, and was chairman of the Hook school committee for some years. He was the starter of the first Grand National Steeplechase in New Zealand, and was also secretary of the Waimate Hunt Club.
The Late Mr. G. F. Lovegrove.