The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]
Bragden, William, Lees Farm, Temuka. Mr. Bragden was born in Oxfordshire, England, in 1838, and was brought up to farming. In 1871 he came to New Zealand by the ship “Ballochmyle,” and landed at Lyttelton. He was for three years engaged by the late Mr. Hayhurst, and then took a farm at Milford. Three years later he entered on the management of the Greonhayes and Lees properties, and worked his own at the same time. He afterwards leased from Mr. J. T. M. Hayhurst the Lees farm, of about 400 acres, and has since continued to reside on that property. Being of a very retiring disposition, Mr. Bragden has taken no part in public affairs except as member, for two years, of the Milford school committee. He was married previous to his departure from England. Mrs Bragden died in 1902, leaving seven surviving children, all of whom are married.
Bisset, Alexander, Farmer, White, rock, near Temuka. Mr. Bisset was born at Rangiora. He is the eldest son of the late Mr. Christopher Bisset, who came to Canterbury in 1862, and was manager for the late Mr. W. McDonald, of Orari station. Mr. Bisset was brought up to farming from his boyhood by his father, who also owned a freehold estate. On the death of his father, Mr. Bisset went into partnership with his brother in two farms. Subsequently, they divided the properties, Mr. A. Bisset taking 203 acres, formerly a part of the Riverslea estate. He has interested himself in athletics and is a member of the Temuka Caledonian Society. Mr. Bisset married Miss Lyon, daughter of Mr. James Lyon, of Temuka, and has two children.
Mr. and Mrs A. Bisset.
Brown, John, Farmer, “Riverslea Homestead,” near Temuka. Mr. Brown was born in Aberdeenshire, Scotland, in 1846, and was brought up to farming. He came to Lyttelton by the ship “Blue Jacket” in 1867. After two years in North Canterbury, he leased a farm of eighty-three acres at Timaru from the Mr. John Hayhurst, subsequently purchasing the place. He acquired other lands and finally purchased the “Riverslea Homestead,” formerly the property of Mr. Alfred Cox. Mr. Brown's property consists of 597 acres of rich soil, devoted to cropping and sheep-grazing. He is a member of the Milford School Committee, but has not otherwise been able to take much interest in public affairs. He was married in 1878 to Miss Louisa Kirby, daughter of one of the early Akaroa settlers, and has eleven children.
Mr. J. Brown.
Crow, Edmund, Farmer, Rangatira Valley Road, Temuka. Mr. Crow was born at Leeston in 1872, and is a son of Mr. William Crow, J.P., who is one of Canterbury's earliest settlers. He was brought up to farming on his father's farm at Leeston. In 1892, he went to Temuka and took up one hundred acres of land at Kakahu, but he subsequently sold it. He afterwards took up 103 acres on the Rangatira Valley Road, where he now resides. Mr. Crow owns another farm of 440 acres at the Cave, and farms both properties, running sheep principally at the Cave and carrying on general farming at Temuka. He was married, in 1891, to Miss Maud Moss, daughter of Mr. Edward Moss, Winchester, and they have three daughters.
Mr. E. Crow.
Mr. R. Edgar.
Grant, Donald, Sheepfarmer, “Willow-bank,” Temuka. Mr. Grant is the eldest son of the late Mr. Andrew Grant, an old settler In the district, by whom he was brought up to farming and sheep-breeding. The subject of this sketch was born at Orari Gorge in 1874. Mr. Grant has one of the most successful stud flocks In the Colony, consisting of 700 English Leicester ewes, and about 100 Border-Leicester ewes. He has been very successful as an exhibitor, having shown the champion ewe for three years in succession at Christchurch agricultural and pastoral shows, and also securing both championships at Timaru, Christchurch, and Wellington in 1897. The stud farm, which is about 400 acres in extent, is situated near the township.
F. Butterfield photo.
Champion Leicester Ewe of Mr D. Grant.
The Grange Farm (Edward Richardson, proprietor), Temuka. An article on Mr. Richardson as manager of the Ocean Accident and Guarantee Corporation, Limited, appears on page 270 of this volume.
Guild, James, Farmer, “Trevenna,” Temuka. Mr. Guild was born in Perthshire, Scotland, in 1836, was educated at Greig and MacNeil's Academy in Perth, and brought up to farming. He arrived in Lyttelton by the ship “Mystery,” in 1859, and managed the Kaituna and Ahuriri stations for eleven years. Mr. Guild first bought land at Springston, where the homestead of the late Mr. Gammack now stands, and subsequently sold portions of it to Messrs Todd and Gammack. He afterwards purchased land at Ohoka, where he went to live for eleven years, draining and improving a very rough swampy property, which he afterwards sold to Mr. Isaac Wilson. He then purchased the Trevenna Estate from Mr. John Greig, and has brought it into a high state of efficiency by a thorough system of under-ground drainage, and has considerably added to the estate by purchases at the Riverslea and other sales. The estate produces abundant crops of wheat, also fat cattle and freezing sheep. Mr. Guild gave a considerable amount of time to public affairs until the purchase of “Trevenna,” but since then he has been wholly occupied in improving his property. He is a Justice of the Peace, and is married and has four children.
Mr. J. Guild.
Entrance To Mr. J. T. M. Hayhurst's Residence.
Mr. J. T. M. Hayhurst.
Mr. J. T. M. Hayhurst's Residence.
Kennedy, William, Settler, Temuka. Mr. Kennedy was born in 1839 in Newtownards, County Down, Ireland, where he was educated. He came to Lyttelton in 1864 by the ship “Mermaid.” For two years he worked at Christchurch, when he moved south to Temuka, and shortly afterwards started farming at Rangitata. After some years, he sold his farm and disposed of his interest in a coaching business to his partner, Mr. John Mundell, and with his wife went to the Old Country. On returning to the Colony, Mr. Kennedy purchased his residence Eclipse Cottage, near Temuka. He was married at his birthplace in 1861.
Mr. W. Kennedy.
Kelland, John J.P., Farmer, “Puke Mara,” Temuka. Mr. Kelland was born in Devonshire, England, in 1840, and was brought up to farming in his native country. He came to New Zealand by the ship “British Empire,” in 1864, to Lyttelton. After his arrival he went on to a station at Ashburton—now occupied by Mr. Cameron—and was there for two years. He then went to Timaru, and was with his father at Gleniti for a short time. Subsequently he moved to Kakahu, and was there during the flood of 1868, when he was in partnership with his brother, William, who bought out his interest. He then went to Smithfield, and after being there for seven years, he took up his present property, which consists of 1386 acres of leasehold land, and a small freehold farm. Mr. Kelland carries on page 911 sheepfarming and agriculture. He has been for the past twenty-three years continuously a member of the Geraldine Road Board. In 1893 he was elected chairman of the board, and still occupies that position. He has taken an interest in school matters for many years at Winchester and Hilton, and is a director of the South Canterbury Co-operative Society, of which he was, in the first instance, a provisional director. He was for one term a member of the Timaru Harbour Board. Mr. Kelland married Miss Poole, a native of Devonshire.
Mr. J. Kelland.
Mackay, Walter O., Sheepfarmer, “Glenormston,” Temuka. Mr. Mackay was born at Double Hill, on the banks of the Rakaia, in 1867, and finished his education at the Timaru High School. He was taken to “Raincliff” by his parents when he was seven years old, and there he passed the succeeding sixteen years of his life. Afterwards he managed his father's property at “Trentham” for five years, and commenced farming on his own account at “Glenormston,” Temuka, in 1894. This property comprises 426 acres, upon which fair crops of grain are raisad, and good crops of turnips and rape. Mr. Mackay fattens sheep for the export trade, and prefers English Leicester crosses for that purpose. The homestead is beautifully situated at the lower end of the Rangatira Valley, and is sheltered from the prevailing winds by the hills and by plantations. Mr. Mackay has greatly improved the property during the short time he has been in possession. He was married, in 1894, to Miss Menzies.
Mackenzie, Edwin, Farmer, Temuka, Mr. Mackenzie is a son of the late Mr. Patrick Mackenzie, veterinary surgeon, who was an early Canterbury settler. He was born in Temuka in 1873, and was brought up on his father's farm. For some years after the death of his father, the farm was worked under the supervision of Mrs Mackenzie, until Mr. Edwin Mackenzie took charge. A few years ago he took up another farm near Milford, and he works the two properties in conjunction.
Mr. E. Mackenzie.
Marshall, Richard Thomas Talbot, Farmer, Temuka. Mr. Marshall was born in Tasmania in 1860, and brought up amongst live stock. In 1874, he visited New Zealand and settled in the Timaru district, where he has ever since resided.
Mr. R. T. T. Marshall.
McLeod, Donald, Farmer, Riverslea, near Temuka. Mr. McLeod was born in Sutherlandshire, Scotland, in 1836, and was trained as a shepherd. He came to Lyttelton by the ship “Chariot of Fame,” in 1863, and was engaged by Mr. T. W. Maude, on the Ashwick station, Burke's Pass. On the opening of the West Coast goldfields, he engaged in mining until 1866, when he returned to Canterbury, and was employed at “Rollesby,” the station adjoining Burke's Pass, and owned by Mr. Charles Ensor. Shortly afterwards, Mr. McLeod went to Scotland, where he married, and returned to New Zealand, working as a shepherd in the Mackenzie country until his health failed, and he took the Lake Tekapo accommodation-house and ferry, where he remained four years, and was afterwards in business as a hotel-keeper in the Mackenzie country for about sixteen years. In 1891 he acquired his present farm of 300 acres at Riverslea. He has always taken an interest in public affairs, and has served on various school committees, and as member of several Caledonian societies, being a regular judge of Highland music. As a Freemason he is connected with St. John's lodge. Mr. McLeod has three sons and two daughters.
Mr. D. McLeod.
Mitchell, Thomas, Farmer, Sea forth. near Temuka. Mr. Mitchell was born in Perthshire, Scotland, and brought up in the south of Scotland. He came to the Colony in 1866, and lived in Napier for one year, then went to Otago and was shepherding for six years. After a year in Hawke's Bay, he came to South Canterbury in 1874, and commenced stock-dealing. In 1880, in conjunction with a partner, Mr. Mitchell bought the Seaforth estate, and on the dissolution of the partnership, became the lessee of that and other properties, in all about 1700 acres. Mr. Mitchell is now an extensive sheep farmer. page 912 He married Miss Freeman, daughter of Mr. William Freeman, an early Otago settler, and has eight children.
Mr. T. Mitchell.
Parke, Thomas, Farmer, Hazelgill Farm, Milford, Temuka. Mr. Parke was born in Westmorland, England, on the 14th of August, 1833, and brought up to country life. In 1856 he arrived in Port Chalmers by the ship “Maori,” but soon removed to Christchurch, where he settled on the banks of the river Avon. In 1859 he began farming at Yaldhurst, and stayed there for seven years. On removing to Temuka he acquired Hazelgill Farm, which is 3000 acres in extent. For several years Mr. Parke served as a member of the Milford school committee. He was married, in 1860, to a daughter of the late Mr. James Hayhurst, of Temuka, and has nine sons and two daughters, and twenty-four grand-children.
Mr. T. Parke.
Pye, Charles, Farmer, Riverslea, near Temuka. Mr. Pye is a Devonshire man and was born in 1845. He was educated in his native county and brought up to farming pursuits, but went to sea in his youth. After visiting many parts of the world in sailing ships, he was wrecked at Oamaru in the ship “Gazehound” in 1865, and remained in the Colony. He was for a short time at the West Coast diggings, and on returning to Canterbury, was employed for two years at the Coldstream station. For some time, Mr. Pye carried on a carting business at Geraldine, and later engaged in road making and bridge building, and in 1882 was appointed assistant overseer to the Mount Peel Road Board. Mr. Pye purchased 150 acres of land at Riverslea in 1892, where he has since resided. He was chairman of the Milford School Committee from 1897 to 1901, and has been a member of the American Order of Oddfellows for twenty-six years. Mr. Pye married a daughter of Mr. Samuel Dale, upholsterer, Geraldine, and has five sons and five daughters.
Willoughby Bros, photo.
Mr. C. Pye.
Shaw, David, Junior, Farmer, “Brooklyn,” Temuka. Mr. Shaw is the third son of Mr. David Shaw a very old Geraldine settler, and was born in the Mackenzie country in 1865. He was educated at the Winchester and Geraldine public schools, and brought up to agriculture and sheep farming by his father. Mr. Shaw purchased his freehold of 257 acres in 1894, and he has also a small run on the Waitohi hills. He married a daughter of Mr. Archibald Mahan, schoolmaster, Geraldine Flat, and has two sons and one daughter.
Mr. and Mrs D. Shaw.
Mr. and Mrs T. Talbot.
Trezise, Thomas Henry Arthur, Farmer, Riverslea, near Temuka. Mr. Trezise was born in Cornwall, in 1847. He learned farming in the Old Country and came to the Colony by the ship “Matoaka” in 1867. In settling shortly afterwards in Temuka he entered into partnership with Mr. Orlando Orr Matthews, a shipmate, on a property at Waitohi. Mr. Matthews now superintends this farm, which is 480 acres, and Mr. Trezise manages the Riverslea property. Mr. Trezise was married in New Zealand to a sister of his partner, and has one son.
Mr. T. H. A. Trezise.
Thomas, Rees, Farmer, Court Farm, Temuka. This well-known colonist is a native of South Wales, where he was born in 1840. He was brought up to agriculture on his father's farm. Believing that the colonies offered a better field for his energy, Mr. Thomas left the Old Country and came to New Zealand in the ship “Zealandia,” which arrived at Lyttelton in 1863. For some time he worked at Papanui, and then went to Temuka. In 1868, the year of the South Canterbury flood, Mr. Thomas took up a farm at Waitohi and farmed it for eight years. He then sold his property and returned to the Old Country, with the intention of remaining there. Ill-health, however, compelled him to come back to the colony, and he went again to Temuka, and took up 120 acres of good agricultural land, on which he has since resided. At Orari, he owns another farm, which is leased to a tenant. Mr. Thomas is well known in South Canterbury as a successful breeder of good draught horses. His wheat crops occasionally average fifty-six bushels per acre, and oats seventy bushels. Mr. Thomas was married, in 1868, to Miss Jane Hall, of Christchurch.
Mr. R. Thomas.
Wareming, Joseph Bernard, Farmer, “Woodlands,” Temuka. Mr. Wareing, who halls from Birmingham, England, where he was born in 1848, came to Auckland when sixteen years of age, by the ship “Surat.” He has been Identified with Temuka since 1871; for a time he was a shepherd in the Mackenzie country, and subsequently engaged in store-keeping at Burke's Pass. Prior to starting farming, Mr. Wareing had a store at Temuka and was for a short time in partnership with Mr. K. F. Gray, Iron-founder. He now farms his property of “Woodlands,” consisting of seventy-five acres of drained swamp; he also works 400 acres at Rangitata, and 200 acres of leasehold land adjoining it. Mr. Wareing also breeds Border-Leicester rams with considerable success, and as a member of the Timaru Agricultural and Pastoral Association has been a successful exhibitor. Though Mr. Wareing has not taken an active part in public affairs, he has assisted greatly in advancing the general welfare of the district. It may be interesting to note that Mr. Wareing was a passenger on the ship “Bruce” when that vessel was wrecked at Port Chalmers. He married Miss Hoare, daughter of the late Mr. Patrick Hoare, one of Timaru's earliest settlers, and has eleven children.
Wright, Samuel, Settler, Temuka. Mr. Wright was born in the parish of Culmstock, Devonshire, England, in 1847. He is a son of Mr. John Wyatt Wright, who came to the Colony in 1865 by the ship “Tudor.” The family had previously been engaged in farming in Devonshire. After their arrival Mr. S. Wright with his brother William farmed a property at Dunsandel, in 1866, the gift of their father, and afterwards one at Temuka. On the partnership being dissolved, Mr. Wright went to Ashburton, where he purchased 1100 acres, a portion of the farm belonging to Mr. Moore of Glenmark. For fifteen years he was engaged in pastoral and agricultural farming on this estate, which he sold in 1893 and retired from farming. He now resides at “Hazelthorpe,” Temuka. page 914 Mr. Wright married the second daughter of Mr. D. Young, in December, 1884, and has one son and one daughter.
Mr. S. Wright.
Levens, George, Veterinary Surgeon, Temuka. Mr. Levens, who claims to be one of the first settlers of Temuka, was born in St. Leonards, Hastings, England, in 1847, and arrived at Lyttelton in 1858, by the ship “Indiana.” In 1859, he removed to Temuka, and was engaged in general farm work with the Neal family, with whom he was associated for ten years. He then went farming on his own account, and worked a small property of his own for six years, when he sold out to a Mr. Lyons It was then that Mr. Levens began business as a veterinary surgeon, and he has followed that occupation ever since, in addition to being bailiff. He was the first to start a volunteer corps at Temuka, and held the post of sergeant for many years in the Temuka Rifles, but he is now on the reserve list, and holds the New Zealand long service medal. At one time Mr. Levens was the crack rifle shot of South Canterbury. He has been a member of the Temuka school committee since its inception, and has always taken a prominent part as a low comedian in dramatic entertainments, Mr. Levens was for many years a member of the Oddfellows Lodge, and he is a Good Templar. At the time of the great flood of 1868 Mr. Levens took an active part in saving life and property. He was married, in Temuka, and has a family of six children.
Mr. G. Levens.