Alexander, Edward William
, M.R.C.S., England, L.R.C.P., London, Physician and Surgeon, 62 Cargill Street, Dunedin. Dr. Alexander was born and educated at St. Helena, and studied for his profession
at King's College, London; he attended the practice of the Hopital-du-Midi, Paris, and qualified as M.R.C.S., England, in 1853, and L.R.C.P., London, in 1861. Dr. Alexander was Colonel-Surgeon at St. Helena for several years, also surgeon to the Liberation African Department and the East India Company's invalids. Before leaving St. Helena in 1861, Dr. Alexander received from the late Emperor Napoleon a gold enamelled box in recognition of his services to the French officers and soldiers there. After spending two years in England and on the Continent, he came to New Zealand in the ship “Matoaka,” and settled in practice in Dunedin. He is consulting physician to the Ashburn private hospital for the insane and inebriate home near Dunedin, with which he has been closely associated since its establishment in 1882. He is a fellow of the Royal Geographical Society of England, member of the Geographical Society of Italy, and also of the Polynesian Society.
, E.R.C.S., Edinburgh, Physician and Surgeon, corner of Union and George Streets, Dunedin. Dr. Burns is referred to in another article as a member of the Council of the University of Otago.
Burt, David John Stewart
, M.B., C.M., Edin., Octagon, Dunedin. Dr. Burt is the fourth son of Mr. Alexander Burt, of Messrs A. and T. Burt, of Dunedin. He was born in 1871, was primarily educated at local institutions, and in 1890 went to Edinburgh, where, four years later, he graduated. Later on he applied himself to special studies in English and Continental schools, and in September, 1898, returned to Dunedin to practise his profession.
, M.D., M.R.C.P., London, M.R.C.S., England, Physician and Surgeon, High Street, Dunedin. Dr. Colquhoun, who established his present practice in 1884, is more fully referred to under Otago University, as lecturer on the practice of medicine.
Closs, Joseph Osborne
, M.D., Ch.M., Edin., George Street, Dunedin. Dr. Closs was born in Glasgow, and was brought to New Zealand at an early age. He was educated at the University of Otago, and in Edinburgh, where he graduated M.B., Ch.M., and some years later took his degree of M.D. Dr. Closs has been practising in Dunedin for about twelve years. He is an Honorary Surgeon to the Dunedin Hospital, and a lecturer on clinical surgery in the Medical School of the University of Otago.
, B.M., M.S. (Edinburgh University, with honours), Consulting Surgeon, Union Bank Buildings, 111 Princes Street, Dunedin. Dr. Coughtrey has a private residence in Forbury Road, St. Kilda.
, M.B., Ch.B., High Street, Dunedin. Dr. Church was born at Birkenhead, England, in 1866, and arrived in Dunedin at the age of five. He was educated at the Otago Boys' High School, and the University of Otago, and graduated in 1832. In 1300, having gained several years' experience in the practice of medicine, he proceeded to London and Edinburgh, and there took post-graduate courses in medicine and surgery. During the years 1892–03, Dr. Church held a practice at Naseby, and was surgeon-superintendent of the hospital there. He acquired Dr. William Brown's practice at Dunedin in October, 1903. Dr. Church was married in February, 1893, to Miss Mackean, and has two sons and one daughter.
Davies, John Morgan Lloyd
, M.R.C.S., England, L.S.A., London, L.R.C.P. and L.M., Edinburgh, Physician and Surgeon, Pitt Street, Dunedin. Dr. Davies, who was born in Cardigan, South Wales, on the 29th of May, 1856, was educated at Marlborough and Epsom Colleges, studied at Middlesex Hospital, London, and obtained his diplomas in the year 1870. He was appointed resident physician-assistant at the Middlesex Hospital for six months, after which he was invalided for six months, and took a voyage to Australia in charge of Messrs. Money, Wigram and Co.'s s.s. “Somersetshire,” as medical officer. On his return, through the influence of the late Mr. David Powell, Governor of the Bank of England, Dr. Davies was appointed medical officer of the New Zealand Shipping Company's ship “Waipa.” Smallpox broke out on board during the first week; the doctor was, however, fortunate in stamping out the disease, no other case occurring, and though some alarm was felt in New Zealand at the time of her arrival, the vessel escaped quarantine. A handsome testimonial, together with a bonus, was presented to him by the company in recognition of his services. Dr. Davies settled in Port Chalmers in 1881 and commenced practice, and two years later became resident house-surgeon at the Dunedin hospital; a post which he filled for twelve months. He then commenced practice in Dunedin, and took charge of Dr. Batchelor's practice during that gentleman's visit to England in 1885. On Dr. Batchelor's return a partnership was entered into, which was terminated at the end of two years and a half. Since the end of 1888, Dr. Davies has continued practice on his
own account. He is a member of the New Zealand branch of the British Medical Association, and was President of the Otago Branch of the New Zealand Medical Association in 1877. Dr. Davies was married in 1877 to a daughter of Mr. Robert McLaren, of Dunedin, and has three sons and one daughter.
De Lautour, Bertrand Edgar
, M.B.C.S., England; 53–55 Stuart Street, Dunedin. Dr. de Lautour is referred to at page 122 of this volume as a member of the Dunedin Licensing Committee.
De Lautour, Harry Archibald
, Associate of King's College, London, P.M.O., Otago; Bond Street, Dunedin. Dr. de Lautour in referred to in another article as Surgeon-Lieutenant Colonel and Principal Medical Officer for the Otago Volunteer District.
, F.R.C.S., Edinburgh. 1899, L.R.C.P., London, M.R.C.S., England. 1897; 29 High Street, Dunedin; late House Surgeon, House Physician, East London Hospital for Children, and Dispensary for Women, Shadwell; late Clinical Surgical and Ophthalmic Assistant, London Hospital; Honorary Physician, Dunedin Hospital.
Fitchett, Francis W. W. B., M.B. C.M.
, Edin., Pitt Street, Dunedin. Dr. Fitchett was born in 1870, and is the eldest son of the very Rev. Dean Fitchett, of Dunedin. He was educated primarily in Christchurch and Dunedin, and in 1891 went to Edinburgh, where he graduated in 1895. He subsequently held several important medical appointments in Scotland, and returned to Dunedin in March, 1902.
Fulton, Robert Valpy
, M.B.C.M., Edinburgh, Physician and Surgeon, Pitt Street, Dunedin. Telephone 609; Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Dr. Fulton is the youngest son of the late Hon. James Fulton, M.L.C. He was born at Ravenscliffe, West Taieri, Otago, in 1865, and began his education at the West Taieri school, afterwards attending the Outram school, then under the Headmastership of Mr. David A. McNicoll, now of the George Street district school, Dunedin. Three years at Outram were followed by four at the Otago Boys' High School, after which he was for two years in the service of the National Mortgage and Agency Company of New Zealand at Dunedin. He started the study of medicine at the University of Otago, and, proceeding to Edinburgh, graduated as Bachelor of Medicine and Master in Surgery in 1889. During his residence in Edinburgh he took a great interest in the Australasian Club, founded in that city about 1878. The members of this society are students hailing from the Australasian colonies, and it was as honorary secretary that he assisted in raising the Association from the state of depression into which it had fallen to the honoured and influential position it holds at the present day. After leaving Edinburgh Dr. Fulton was for nine months in the service of the New Zealand Shipping Company, and then, returning to Dunedin, he settled down to the practice of his profession. He takes an active interest in volunteering, and has been for twelve years attached as honorary surgeon to the Dunedin Naval Artillery (now
the New Zealand Garrison Artillery Volunteers). He was gazetted Surgeon-Lieutenant in 1892, and Surgeon-Captain in 1897. he was a member of the Medical Board which undertook the selection of men for the various New Zealand Regiments during the recent war in South Africa; has been a member of the Dunedin District Volunteer Officers' Club for ten years and is at the present time a member of the committee of that association. At one time, he was an active cyclist, even to the extent of appearing on the racing track, and in the days of the high wheeled “ordinary” bicycle won a number of handsome prizes. He was one of the earliest members of the Dunedin Bicycling Club as far back as 1882; was a vice-president of the Dunedin Cycling Club in 1892, and filled the president's chair in 1895 and 1898. Dr. Fulton was a member of the Otago Rowing Club in the early “eighties” and one of those who represented the Otago Medical School in the regatta of “Fours” which was rowed in 1884, when his team had the hard luck in the first heat to meet Reid and Gray's “Four,” the winners of the regatta. When at Edinburgh he was a member of the Edinburgh University Boating Club, and he is now a vice-president of the North-End Boating Club. Dr. Fulton was one of the founders of the Otago Early Settlers' Association, and has sat continuously on the committee of that body since its inception. He was vice-president of the Otago Branch of the British Medical Association in 1899, and president in 1900, when the members presented him with a beautifully chased and engraved silver cradle, as a memento of his presidency during the year in which his twin son and daughter were born. In June, 1902, he paid a visit to the Fiji Islands, and on the 23rd of September of the same year he read before the Otago Institute a paper entitled “An account of the Vilavilairevo, or Fiji Fire Walking Ceremony, with a probable explanation of the mystery.” This was favourably reviewed by the local papers and by “Nature” of the 12th of December, 1902, and, with some fine illustrations from the “Auckland Weekly News,” was printed in full in the Transactions of the New Zealand Institute for 1903. In 1903 Dr. Fulton was elected a member of the Society of Arts, and a Fellow of the Royal Meteorological Society. He married, in 1890, the third daughter of the late Mr. H. O. Hertslet, of Dunedin, and has four sons and two daughters.
Hocken, Thomas Morland
, M.R.C.S., Physician and Surgeon, Moray Place, Dnedin, Telephone, 165. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Dr. Hocken studied for his profession at Durham University and at Dublin, and gained his diploma as a member of the Royal College of Surgeons of England in 1860. For about two years he was surgeon on board the s.s. “Great Britain,” well known as a passenger steamer between London and Australian ports. In 1862 he settled in Dunedin, where he commenced the practice of his profession. He held the post of coroner for twenty-two years, was one of the honorary surgeons of the Dunedin Hospital, surgeon to the Benevolent Institution, and the first lecturer on surgery to the Otago University. Dr. Hocken is a member of the council of the University of Otago and also of the Otago Institute, of which he has thrice been president. He is well known as a contributor to the “Transactions of the New Zealand Institute,” and of the Australasian Association for the Advancement of Science; many papers on the early history of New
Zealand, and other subjects have been published from his pen. In 1898 Dr. Hocken's work “Contributions to the Early History of New Zealand,” was published by Messrs Sampson, Low, Marston and Co., of London. In the year 1903 Dr. Hocken visited the Old World to collect materials for a fuller edition of his book. He was elected a Fellow of the Linnean Society in 1884.
Hunter, Irwin Walter William
, M.A., B.Sc., F.R.C.S., L.R.C.P., Princes Street, Dunedin. Dr. Hunter is the eldest son of Mr. William Hunter, manager of the Bank of New Zealand at Port Chalmers, and was born in London in 1869. He came to New Zealand, with his parents, in 1880, and continued his education at the Taranaki High School, the Otago Boys' High School (where he gained a Grey-Russell Scholarship), and the University of Otago. In 1892, he graduated M.A., B.Sc., with first-class honours in chemistry, and one year later left for London, where he studied medicine and surgery at the London Hospital, gaining the diplomas of M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P. in 1897, and F.R.C.S. in 1900. After qualification Dr. Hunter held several appointments in London hospitals; he was Resident Medical Officer to the Tropical Diseases Hospital, to St. Peter's Hospital, Covent Gordon; and to the Rectal and Fistula Hospital, City Road; and was associated in his profession with Sir Patrick Mansion, and with Mr. Henry Fenwick, of the London Hospital, and St. Peter's Hospital for Urinary Disease, to whom he was house-surgeon for some time. In 1900 Dr. Hunter left England, and carried on a private practice in Melbourne until 1902, when he proceeded to Dunedin, and shortly after his arrival was appointed physician to the out-patients of the Dunedin Hospital. He has from boyhood taken a keen interest in athletics, is a former representative in football for Otago and Southland, and is now vice-president of the Otago Rugby Union.
Macdonald, Robert Gordon
, M.D., L.R.C.P., Edin., L.F.P.S., Glasgow, L.M.; High Street, Dunedin. Dr. Macdonald was born in Caithness, Scotland, in 1854, and was educated at Aberdeen and Glasgow. He afterwards held the position of resident surgeon to the Glasgow Public Hospital. In 1882 he sailed for New Zealand, and commenced to practise in Dunedin in the same year.
Macdonald William Marshall
B.Sc., New Zealand, M.B., C.M., Edinburgh; High Street, Dunedin.
McKellar, Thomas George
, M.B., C.M., Physician and Surgeon, Pitt Street, Dunedin; Telephone, 570; Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Dr. McKellar, who is a son of the late Mr. Peter McKellar, runholder of Southland—one of the early settlers—was born in Southland, and was educated at the public schools, and at the high school, Invercargill. Having studied medicine at Otago University for two years, he went to Edinburgh in 1888 for a three years' course of training, and obtained his diplomas in 1891, He acted as locum tenens for several medical men in England and Scotland before entering Rotherham hospital, near Sheffield, England, where he was for nine months one of the staff of house surgeons. In 1893, he returned to New Zealand and established his present practice.
, M.B., C.M. (Edinburgh, Physician and Surgeon, Octagon, Dunedin. Telephone 481. This practitioner was born in Perthshire, Scotland. He arrived at Port Chalmers with his parents in 1861, in the ship “Gala,” and received his education at public Schools in Invercargill, and at Otago University. He studied for four years at Edinburgh University, where he took his degrees in 1883, and returned to the Colony in that year. He practised in Invercargill for four years, when be removed to Dunedin. He has been an honorary physician to the Dunedin hospital for a number of years; and is one of the examiners to the New Zealand Government Life Insurance Department, and surgeon to the Ivanhoe Lodge of Druids. As a Freemason, he was initiated in Lodge St. John, S.C., at Invercargill. Dr. Macpherson is president of the Union Cycling Club.
, L.R.C.P. (Edinburgh), L.F.P.S. (Glasgow), Physician and Surgeon, Octagon, Dunedin; Telephone, 547; Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. The subject
of this notice was born in Lanarkshire, Scotland, in 1848, and was educated at Glasgow University and at the Andersonian Institution, Glasgow. He obtained his diplomas in 1872 and practised His profession in Glasgow till 1875. Dr. Martin came to Port Chalmers as medical officer of the ship “Invercargill,” in the latter year, and after a short time in Dunedin, was appointed medical superintendent in the Reefton hospital, of which he remained in charge from 1876 to 1879, engaging also in private practice. On returning to Dunedin, Dr. Martin established his present practice. He was initiated as a member of the Masonic order, Scotch Constitution, in Glasgow, but is unattached in New Zealand.
, L.R.C.P. and S. Edin.; L.F.P. and S., Glasgow; Octagon, Dunedin. Dr. Martin was born in Scotland in 1851, and was educated at Glasgow and Edinburgh. He graduated in 1893, subsequently held medical appointments in Scotland, and in West Australia, and has practised for about two years in Dunedin.
O'Neill, Eugene Joseph
, M.B., Ch. B., New Zealand, F.R.C.S., Edin., M.R.C.S., Eng., L.R.C.P. London; George Street, Dunedin. Dr. O'Neill was born in Dunedin in 1875, and graduated M.B., Ch.B. at the University of Otago. During 1899–1900 he was house surgeon at the Dunedin Hospital, and in 1902 he went to South Africa as surgeon-captain to the Sixth New Zealand Contingent. At the close of the war he went Home to continue his studies in the London Hospital, and in August, 1903—after holding several important medical appointments, and obtaining his diplomas—he returned to his native city.
Roberts, William Stewart
, M.R.C.S., England, 61 Moray Place, Dunedin, is elsewhere referred to us Lecturer on Pathology and Bacteriology at the University of Otago.
Stenhouse, William MacStravick
, M.D., Physician and Surgeon, Stuart Street, Dunedin. Dr. Stenhouse, who was born in Glasgow in 1841, was educated at the Glasgow University, where he graduated M.B.
and C.M. in 1875, taking his degree as M.D., in absentia, in 1877. Dr. Stenhouse came to New Zealand as surgeon superintendent of an emigrant ship in 1875, and settled in Dunedin in the following year, after making one or two trips to the Old Country in the same
capacity. Originally, he intended to adopt a literary and political career, but owing to an unfortunate accident be was deterred from so doing; and on the completion of the new University buildings in Glasgow he decided to study medicine, and took his diplomas after a four years' course of study. Since settling in Dunedin he has often been a great sufferer in consequence of a second and very severe accident which resulted in the amputation of a limb. During lengthened periods of illness he wrote a book of poems and subsequently issued pamphlets on “Our Eyes and How to Use them” and on “The Common Diseases of the Ear, Throat, and Nose,” on which the is a specialist. He was one of the honorary visiting physicians of the Dunedin Hospital for ten years, and for two years was surgeon to the Benevolent Institution. He was a member of the Education Board for six years and has been connected with several institutions since sealing in Dunedin. In his early days he was a distinguished chess player, and was for some time secretary of the Glasgow chess club, and later president of the Dunedin chess club. He has also been a prominent member of the local Burns club as vice-president for two years and president for one year. Dr. Stonhouse was married in 1881 to a daughter of Mr. A. Anderson of Stirling, Otago—one of the earliest colonists—and has, surviving, three sons and one daughter.
Stephenson, Ralph Stuart, M.B., C.M.
, Edin., High Street, Dunedin. Dr. Stephenson is referred to elsewhere in this section, in connection with the Nordrach Cottage Sanatorium at Whare Flat.
Siedeberg, Emily Hancock
, M.B., C.M., L.R.C.P.S., Physician and Surgeon, Lower York Place, Dunedin. Telephone, 555. Dr. Siedeberg has the distinction of being the first member of her sex to enter the
medical profession in New Zealand. The desirableness of women being attended professionally by female practitioners, has often been recognised; and for this there are, no doubt, many reasons. Dr. Siedeberg is the daughter of Mr. Franz David Siedeberg, a colonist of over forty years' standing, and considerable experience as a gold miner and contractor, who was born in Memel, Germany; her maternal grandfather was a barrister of Trinity College, Dublin, and she is a grand-niece of the late Thomas Hancock, M.D., of London. She was born at Clyde, Otago, and was primarily educated at the Normal and Girls' High School, Dunedin; in 1888, she gained a board school scholarship, of the value of £20 per annum, entitling her to three years' tuition at the Girls' High School. In 1891, she commenced a five years' course of study for her profession at Otago University, and at the close of 1895 obtained her diplomas of M.B. and C.M., thus becoming the first lady doctor in New Zealand. In order more fully to qualify herself for a professional career, Dr. Siedeberg went to Great Britain early in 1896, and attended classes for six months at Dublin, and for seven months at Berlin; she also visited the London and Edinburgh hospitals. She was at the Rotunda hospital, in Dublin (which is the largest in the world specially devoted to the diseases of women), till November, 1896, when she gained her degree as licentiate of the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland. She returned to Dunedin about Christmas 1897, and established her practice early in 1898.
Will, William Johnston
, M.B., C.M., Edin. Dr. Will is further referred to as chairman of the Dunedin Branch of the St. John Ambulance Association.