Drumclog Farm, Blenheim. Mr. Allan was born in Lanarkshire, Scotland, on the 30th of September, 1838, and is the only son of the late Mr. Robert Allan, schoolmaster, of the parish of Stonehouse. He was educated at his father's school, and at an early age was appointed a pupil teacher. After teaching for about twelve months, Mr. Allan resigned, worked for a while in a drain pipe manufactory, and, later on, as a repairer on the railway line between Symington and Abington. In the year 1862, he came to New Zealand by the ship “Cheviot,” and landed at Port Chalmers on the 13th of October, Mr. Allan then went to the Dunstan rush, but two months later he returned to Dunedin, and went to work on Mr. W. H. Cutten's farm at Anderson's Bay,
where he remained two years. In 1864 he went to the Wakamarina diggings, and, after about two months' prospecting at Canvastown, turned his attention to farming, at which he has been engaged almost continuously ever since. For a long time Mr. Allan conducted “Rannoch,” a farm on the Old Renwick Road, near Blenheim, and the splendid condition of that property is generally due to his capable management during the early stages of its improvement. In 1884, he took up a section on his own account at Seaview, near Seddon, which he successfully farmed till 1900, when, having sold out his interests, he went for a trip to his native land. Mr.
Allan travelled nearly all over Scotland, and visited nearly every place of note and historic interest. He returned to New Zealand in the year 1901, and bought Drumclog Farm, on which he has ninety acres under crop every year, and depastures several hundreds of sheep. Mr. Allan was for a time president of the Blenheim branch of the Farmers' Union. He has been for about ten years a member of the Marlborough Agricultural and Pastoral Association's Committee, and was a very strong supporter of Mr. John Duncan, the Opposition candidate for the House of Representatives at the general election of 1905.