The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Nelson, Marlborough & Westland Provincial Districts]
Auntsfield farm , Doctor's Flat, Blenheim. This farm is a compact and valuable property of 300 acres of good agricultural and pastoral land. It was originally part of Meadowbank station, and was bought by the late Mr. David Herd from Mr. A. P. Seymour. For about fourteen years, Mr. Herd conducted the farm himself, and in the year 1895, he let it to his son-in-law, Mr. J. W. Paynter, the present lessee, “Auntsfield” possesses a fine homestead and is well managed. A permanent flock of about 200 breeding ewes is depastured, and 120 acres are annually placed under cultivation. There is also a large orchard, and a valuable vineyard. A large amount of grape wine is manufactured, for the making of which there is every facility; and the output is favourably known all over the province.