The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Nelson, Marlborough & Westland Provincial Districts]
O'Donoghue, Jeremiah, Farmer, Blenheim, Mr. O'Donoghue, who resides on Dillon's Point Road, Blenheim, is the proprietor of “Green Hill,” an extensive farm of nearly 1500 acres in the Blind River settlement. This property was acquired by its present owner in the year 1899, and consists of undulating country, suitable for both agriculture and pasturage, and is one of the tinest holdings in the district. It carries at present (1905) about 1350 sheep, and grows about 300 acres of crops. Mr. O'Donoghue has also seventy-five acres of freehold land on Dillon's Point Road. Mr. O'Donoghue was born in August, 1841, at Mallagh, Ireland, and was brought up to farming on his father's property. At eighteen years of age, he went to America, farmed for a few years, and then returned to England, where he learned the plastering trade. Later on, Mr. O'Donoghue returned to America, and was engaged in farming, and in the year 1877 came to New Zealand, and landed in Wellington. He then went to Blenheim, and farmed in various parts of the Wairau Plains before taking up his present property. Mr. O'Donoghue is married, and has three sons and seven daughters.