Drumclog Farm, Blenheim. Mr. Allan was born in Lanarkshire, Scotland, on the 30th of September, 1838, and is the only son of the late Mr. Robert Allan, schoolmaster, of the parish of Stonehouse. He was educated at his father's school, and at an early age was appointed a pupil teacher. After teaching for about twelve months, Mr. Allan resigned, worked for a while in a drain pipe manufactory, and, later on, as a repairer on the railway line between Symington and Abington. In the year 1862, he came to New Zealand by the ship “Cheviot,” and landed at Port Chalmers on the 13th of October, Mr. Allan then went to the Dunstan rush, but two months later he returned to Dunedin, and went to work on Mr. W. H. Cutten's farm at Anderson's Bay,
where he remained two years. In 1864 he went to the Wakamarina diggings, and, after about two months' prospecting at Canvastown, turned his attention to farming, at which he has been engaged almost continuously ever since. For a long time Mr. Allan conducted “Rannoch,” a farm on the Old Renwick Road, near Blenheim, and the splendid condition of that property is generally due to his capable management during the early stages of its improvement. In 1884, he took up a section on his own account at Seaview, near Seddon, which he successfully farmed till 1900, when, having sold out his interests, he went for a trip to his native land. Mr.
Allan travelled nearly all over Scotland, and visited nearly every place of note and historic interest. He returned to New Zealand in the year 1901, and bought Drumclog Farm, on which he has ninety acres under crop every year, and depastures several hundreds of sheep. Mr. Allan was for a time president of the Blenheim branch of the Farmers' Union. He has been for about ten years a member of the Marlborough Agricultural and Pastoral Association's Committee, and was a very strong supporter of Mr. John Duncan, the Opposition candidate for the House of Representatives at the general election of 1905.
, Doctor's Flat, Blenheim. This farm is a compact and valuable property of 300 acres of good agricultural and pastoral land. It was originally part of Meadowbank station, and was bought by the late Mr. David Herd from Mr. A. P. Seymour. For about fourteen years, Mr. Herd conducted the farm himself, and in the year 1895, he let it to his son-in-law, Mr. J. W. Paynter, the present lessee, “Auntsfield” possesses a fine homestead and is well managed. A permanent flock of about 200 breeding ewes is depastured, and 120 acres are annually placed under cultivation. There is also a large orchard, and a valuable vineyard. A large amount of grape wine is manufactured, for the making of which there is every facility; and the output is favourably known all over the province.
Mr. John William Paynter
was born in Nelson, on the 15th of May, 1866, and is the eldest son of Mr. John Paynter, a well known farmer of Stoke. His grandfather, the
late Mr. William Paynter, came to New Zealand as early as the year 1842, and he and his sons saw active service in the Maori war in the province of Taranaki, and subsequently settled in Nelson, where the family has since resided. Mr. Paynter was educated at the local public school, and brought up to farming under his father, at Stoke. In 1886, he went to the Wairau, and for many years was engaged at general farm work in
various parts of the province. Mr. Paynter acquired a leasehold title to Auntsfield Farm, in 1898. He is a member of the Marlborough Agricultural and Pastoral Association, the Blenheim branch of the Farmers' Union, the Renwicktown Rifle Club, and of the Fairhall school committee. Mr. Paynter married the youngest daughter of the late Mr. David Herd, in the year 1890, and has two sons and two daughters.
Farmer, New Renwick Road, Blenheim. Mr. Avery is a son of the late Mr. John Avery, one of the earliest pioneers in the colony, and was born in Nelson in 1843. In early life, he followed farming. He has been settled in the Marlborough district ever since he was
twenty-eight years of age. His farm of 340 acres is situated in the Fair-hall district, and is worked by Mr. Avery and his son. Mr. Avery was for about twenty years a member of the Wairau Road Board, and has been a member of the Marlborough County Council for many years. He has also at various times been a member of the local school committee. In 1892 Mr. Avery was appointed a Justice of the Peace for the colony. The grounds of Mr. Avery's homestead are tastefully planted with trees and shrubs, and his property has a frontage to the New Renwick Road.
“Clovernook,” Blenheim. Mr. Beatson has a pleasantly picturesque little homestead of 150 acres in extent, on the banks of the Wairau river, within five miles of Blenheim. The land is so fertile that the farm occasionally carries seven sheep to the acre. Mr. Beatson was born in Camberwell, near London, in 1839, and came to Nelson in 1851, by the ship “Midlothian. After spending a few years at Stoke, he removed to Marlborough as a cadet in 1858, and in 1860, pitched camp at the very spot where his house now stands. The whole of the flats were then covered with fern, flax, and scrub, but by dint of intelligent energy, the land has been converted into a most fertile farm. For some years there was
no flood of any consequence, but in 1868, the Wairau and the Opawa overflowed and caused the largest flood ever known in the district. Since then banks have been built to keep the water back, and, so far, they have been tolerably successful. Mr. Beatson was married, in 1874, and has a family of eight.
Sheepfarmer, “Caythorpe,” Middle Renwick Road, Blenheim. Mr. Bishell is well known throughout New Zealand as a breeder of Lincoln stud sheep. His farm is named “Caythorpe,” and contains 270 acres. Everything about it betokens careful supervision by a man of experience, who thoroughly understands his business. The stable, which has accommodation for thirteen horses, has a brick floor, and is roomy and well ventilated. Mr. Bishell's yearlings are fed and housed throughout the winter. The barn is large, commodious, and stored with a plenteous supply of wheat and oats. There is a machine shed, which contains a clover and grass-seed mill, binders, mowers, vetching machines, double-furrow and three-furrow ploughs, hayrakes, Cambridge rollers, drays, waggons, drills, and a windmill. Mr. Bishel keeps twenty-four horses for farm use, and for four years in succession he won first prize with his back “York.” With his sheep Mr. Bishell has for many years taken the majority of prizes awarded to exhibits of their class at the Nelson and Marlborough shows, and he finds it hard to supply the demands for his young stock. Mr. Bishell was born at Caythorpe, Lincolnshire, England, in 1849, and thoroughly learned farming in all its
Mr. and Mrs D. Bishel.
branches before coming out to New Zealand in 1875. After a short sojourn in Nelson province, he decided to settle in the Marlborough district. He has, in addition to “Caythorpe, another farm of 325 acres, known as K, and to this also he gives his personal supervision.
, Blenheim. This farm comprises 308 acres of good agricultural land, and is one of the most valuable properties of its size in the district. It was first taken up in the early fifties by Messrs Tytler and Shepherd, and a few years later was bought by the late Mr. F. Williams. Since his death the farm has been equally divided into two sections, and these are worked separately by Mr. P. G. Williams and Mr. R. G. Williams respectively. Sheep grazing and the cultivation of crops, chiefly barley, oats, and clover are carried on, and the excellent condition of the sheep, and the crops produced, attest to its adaptability for both purposes.
Mr. Percy Gordon Williams
is the youngest son of the late Mr. F. Williams, and was born on his present farm on the 18th of August, 1868. for some time he attended the local public school, afterwards received private tuition in Sydney, and later on studied for the legal profession in Blenheim. In the year 1890, however, Mr. Williams gave up the idea of folowing
law as a profession, and joined the Union Bank of Australia, in which he was employed for five years, first, in the Blenheim branch, and afterwards in the head office at Wellington; but in 1896, he resigned in order to take up farming. For a while Mr. Williams worked on the Richmond Brook estate and other sheep stations in the Awatere, and then took up Brooklands Farm, which he has since conducted with considerable success. He is interested in literray matters, and is an occasional contributor
to southern papers. Mr. Williams is a member of the Marlborough Agricultural and Pastoral Association, the Marlborough Club, and of other public bodies.
Farmer, “Willow Brook,” Blenheim. This farm of 370 acres of fine agricultural land lies close to Blenheim, and is the freehold property of Mr. Broughan. About seventy acres at the home-stead are of a swampy nature. Almost the whole of “Willow Brook” has been under the plough, and the area now annually under cultivation varies from 150 to 200 acres. For growing grain of all kinds the ground is unsurpassed, as the soil is of a light loamy nature. It seems almost impossible to exhaust it, for it has been cropped continuously for twenty years, and though hardly any artificial manures have been used, the yields have been well ahead of the average crops for the province. Portions of the land have been laid down in English grasses, and Mr. Broughan was about 300 crossbred sheep from good strains of Lincolns and English Leicesters. Mr. Broughan was born in CountryClare, Ireland, in 1839, and after being left orphans, he and his brother came to New Zealand in the ship “Constantine,” from which they landed on the 1st of January, 1854. Mr. Broughan went straight to Marlborough, which has since been his home.
Originally his farm consisted of seventy acres, but he has added to it from time to time by the purchase of adjoining paddocks. Mr. Broughan has kept aloof from public affairs, and has put all his spare time into the working of his farm, which is considered one of the best of its kind in Marlborough. Mrs. Broughan is a daughter of the late Mr. Isaac Aroa, one of Blenheim's oldest settlers, who arrived in New Zealand in October, 1855, by the “Maori.”
Ching, William Henry,
Farmer, Fairhall Valiey, Blenheim. Mr. Ching's allotment is known as section 10, block I, and consists of 454 acres of agricultural and pastoral land. A permanent flock is depastured, and an average area of 120 acres is annually placed under crop. Mr. Ching is the youngest son of Mr. William Ching, of Blenheim, and was born on the 5th of May, 1872, at Nelson. Two years later, he arrived in Blenheim with his parents and was educated at the Blenheim Borough School. Mr. Ching was brought up to farming with his father, whom he assisted till the year 1896, when he successfully balloted for a section of the Hawkesbury estate, then being subdivided for closer settlement. Mr. Ching is a member of the Marlborough Agricultural and Pastoral Association, of the local branch of the Farmers' Union, of the Ancient Order of Foresters, and of the Renwick Rifle Club.
Davies, Thomas Samuel,
Farmer, Epworth, Blenheim. Mr. Davies is a native of Blenheim, and a son of the late Mr. Thomas Davies, who died in 1891, and was one of Marlborough's earliest settlers, and well known as a builder throughout the province. Mr. T. S. Davies was educated at the Blenheim Borough School, and studied for about two years at the Agricultural College, at Lincoln, Canterbury. Since the
death of his father, he has taken over Epworth, which has an area of about 300 acres, and is situated on the Middle Renwick Road.
The whole property is rich flat land, and is worked to excellent advantage by Mr. Davies, who keeps the best implements and machinery, and has a blacksmith's shop on the premises.
The Delta Station
(William Pollard, proprietor), is situated in the Waihopai district. It has an acreage of about 7000 acres of undulating and arable land, and carries 6500 sheep. Root crops are grown annually to fatten sheep, and carry them through the winter months, and though this is costly, it is found a highly remunerative process. At the homestead, old and obsolete outbuildings are being replaced with others of more modern type. A fine woolshed, which is quite ample for present requirements, stands on the flat near to the homestead, and the family residence has been renovated by Mr. Pollard, and is now a fine commodious villa, with a frontage to the main road.
Mr. William Pollard
is a native of Cornwall, England, and was educated in his native place. He came to New Zealand in 1874. For some years he was settled in the Hawke's Bay district, and gained considerable knowledge of station life, chiefly on the Rissington station When Mr. Pollard came to Marlborough the management of the Birch Hill station was given to him, and he afterwards also managed “Dumgree.” He was for five years manager of “Delta,” of which he is now owner. Mr. Pollard, besides being a large employer of labour, does his best in other ways also to promote the interests of the district.
Des Forges, Algernon
, Farmer, New Renwick Road, Blenheim. Mr. Des Forges was born in Lincolnshire,
Mr. A. Des Forges.
England, and was apprenticed to the trade of a butcher, in the town of Great Grimsby. In 1877, he resolved to try his luck in New Zealand, and landed in Wellington during that year. He remained in the North Island about six years, and in 1883 he removed to Marlborough, and was engaged by Messrs Brace and MeKenzie, butchers, who were then trading in Blenheim. In the course of two years, he started in business on his own account, met with satisfactory success, and is now a farmer.
Farmer, North Bank, Wairau Valley. Mr. Fowler was born in Gloucester, England, in 1852, and came to New Zealand in the ship “Chieftain,” He went to Marlborogh in 1878 to manage a large sheep station, on which he remained for many years. After that, he bought a station of his own, but disposed of it a few years later to run a line of coaches from Blenheim to Molesworth. This he did successfully until 1894, when he purchased the Club livery and bait stables, which he left to settle at Wairau Valley. Mr. Fowler has been a Freemason for over twenty years. He is married, and has three sons.
Goulter, Redwood Felix,
“Timara,” Hawkesbury, near Blenheim. Mr. Goulter, second son of the late Mr. Cyrus Goulter, was born in Marlborough, in 1857. After receiving a thorough education at private schools, he entered the New Zealand Survey Department in 1875, and served an apprenticeship in the field with Mr. E. H. Wilmot, District Surveyor, stationed at Queenstown, Otago, and subsequently passed the necessary examinations before the late Mr. W. Arthur, Chief Surveyor, Dunedin. He was for some years engaged in the triangulation of the Marlborough Sounds, and in the standard survey of the roads in the Wairau Plain. Mr. Goulter attained the rank of District Surveyor, in Marlborough, in 1891, but was shortly after compelled to retire from the service on account of a severe attack of pleurisy. Since then Mr. Goulter has been farming on the Timara estate-part of the original Hawkesbury estate-which he has much improved by draining, clearing ploughing and planting, until it has become one of the most attractive properties in the district. From 600 to 800 acres are annually ploughed and cropped with grain and roots. Mr. Goulter has achieved great success in the raising of fat lambs for freezing purposes, and in 1899 founded a stud English Leicester flock. the ewes for which were obtained from Mr. Andrews, of Greenpark, Canterbury. Mr. Goulter has taken an intelligent and prominent part in local affairs, and was chairman of the Wairau Road Board in 1900. He was mainly instrumental in forming the Marlborough Land and Railway League, of which he was the president. The League has done a
large amount of good work by agitating for the completion of the railway from Blenheim to Christchurch. Mr. Goulter was married, in 1880, to Theresa Catherine Bolton, fourth daughter of the late Mr. Edward Bolton, of Nelson.
Farmer, New Renwick Road, Blenheim.
Mr. Hammond is the youngest son of the late Mr. David Hammond. He was born in Nelson, and after receiving
his education, he decided to follow farming. Mr. Hammond is married, and has three sons and four daughters.
Farmer, New Renwick Road, Blenheim. Mr. Hammond is a son of Mr. David Hammond. one of the early pioneers. He was born in the Old Country, and came to New Zealand with his parents,
in 1842, by the ship “Lord Auckland.” His education was due to the beneficence of Mr. Matthew Campbell, philanthropist. Mr. Hammond removed to Marlborough in 1870, and Eatington Farm, of 226 acres, is his property. He has been an active contributor to the wonderful improvements which have been made during the past twenty-five years; has served as a member of the Wairau Road Board, and of the agricultural and pastoral society; and has been chairman of the Fairhall school committee.
Swansdowne Farm, Omaka district, near Blenheim. Mr. Harding was born in June, 1833, at Hfracombe, Devonshire, England, where he was educated, and learned farming. He came to New Zealand in the year 1859, and landed at Nelson. For a time he was employed, successively, in the Nelson and Marlborough provinces, was afterwards employed for three years by Mr. Charles Redwood, in the Wairau, and in 1867 he took up the first section of his present farm. “Swansdowne” now (1905) consists of nearly 500 acres of freehold, and over 900 acres of leasehold, land, and is devoted chiefly to sheep and cattle farming; a little cropping is also carried on. A small herd of pure Devon cattle, some of which were imported from England, is depastured. In the year 1879, Mr. Harding took a trip to the Old Country, in order to re-visit his birth-place. He is married, and has one son and two daughter.
of Lowland Farm, Dillon's Point Road, near Blenheim. Mr. Holdaway was born in Hampshire, England, on the 9th of October, 1836. He came to New Zealand in February, 1842, and landed in Nelson, his father, who was in the service of the New Zealand Company, having landed in the previous year. Mr. Holdaway was educated at a private school in Nelson, and was afterwords employed for some time at various kinds of work in Nelson. Subsequently, for about three years, he worked on large stations in the Waihopai and other places, as a general farm hand, carpenter, etc., and during the succeeding nine or ten years he was employed for most of the time as shearer. In the year 1864, Mr. Holdaway went to the Wakamarina rush, in order to obtain sufficient capital to
start a farm. He was very successful, and made £500 in about seven months. He then returned to the Wairau, where he took up his present farm. This property comprises about 214 acres, in two blocks, of rich, agricultural land, and is one of the finest farms in the district. It is devoted to the cultivation of crops—chiefly barley and peas, and to sheep grazing. Mr. Holdaway was one of the first contributors to the local Methodist church, and is a trustee, and an office-bearer. He married Miss Eyles, of Blenheim, and has eight sons and six daughters. For some time five of his sons were simultaneously members of the Blenheim Garrison Band.
Jackson, Adam Watson,
Farmer, “Runnymede,” Old Renwick Road, near Blenheim. Mr. Jackson's section contains 510 acres, and is admitted to be one of the best farms in the Wairau Plain. The bulk of the land was originally taken up by the late Mr. Adam Jackson, one of Nelson's pioneer settlers, who successfully farmed it
till 1878, when the present owner obtained a lease. Mr. Jackson subsequently acquired the property on a purchasing clause, and bought the adjoining section in 1891. During the fist eight years of his ownership, Mr. Jackson experieneed the usual hardships inseparable from want of capital; but with the aid of intelligence and hard work, he gradually overcame his difficulties, About 160 acres of the farm are cropped annually, and from 600 to 700 good three-quarterbred Lincoln sheep are depastured, besides other stock. Mr. Jackson has latterly devoted his attention to a stud of pure Lincoln sheep, for which purpose he imported pure bred ewes and rams. In 1899, he imported a complete up-to-date threshing plant by Clayton and Shuttleworth, including an eight horse-power traction engine, the services of which have been eagerly sought by the farmers on the
Plain. Mr. Jackson was born in Nelson, in September 1851, and is the second son of the late Mr. Adam Jackson. He has a family of nine, and the older sons take an active part in the working of the estate. It is Mr. Jackson's intention, whilst retaining full control of the management of the farm, to reside at Springlands, where he has bought a commodious residence, and to devote a portion of his time to public affairs. He has had many years of experience as a member of various local bodies, and takes a keen interest in politics.
formerly of New Renwick Road, Blenheim. Mr. Jones was born at Grovetown. Marlborough, in July, 1876. He is the son of Mr. William Jones, a respected settler in the district. Mr. Jones has a farm of 154 acres of the finest land in the New Renwick Road district. He married a daughter of Mr. Baldick, of Port Underwood. Mr. Jones removed from New Renwick Road to the Sounds.
Jordan, Christian Richard,
Farmer, “Willowhaugh,” Middle Renwick Road, Blenheim. Mr. Jordan is a native of Germany, and came to
New Zealand in the ship “Maori,” in 1852, when only a lad. He landed at Nelson, and after residing there for about twenty-two years, he removed to the Marlborough district, where he has resided ever since. Shortly after he arrived in Blenheim, he accepted the management of “Woodburn,” then the property of Mr. Thomas Redwood. Later on, however, he desired to take a farm on his own account, and he secured 228 acres of first-rate land, on which he successfully keeps sheep and grows crops. Mr. Jordan is liked and respected by his fellow colonists, and has given a good deal of time to the general interests of the district. He has taken a prominent part in road boards, school committees, agricultural and pastoral associations and land leagues, and is a member of the local Court of Forester.
Farmer, Dillon's Point, Blenheim. Mr. McArtney was born in Nelson, but removed to Blenheim when he was quite young After spending some time at various occupations, he settled down to the trade of a baker, at Grove Road, and
Mr. R. McArtney.
followed it for some years, before he took to farming at Dillon's Point. Mr. McArtney is referred to in another article as having been Mayor of Blenheim in the year 1900.
Waterlea Farm, near Blenheim. Mr. McCallum is one of the oldest surviving members of the hardy band of pioneer settlers in the Wairau. He is the eldest son of the late Mr. Donald McCallum, and was born in December, 1829, in Clasgow, Scotland, where he was educated and learned farming. Mr. McCallum afterwards went to Geelong, Victoria, Australia, in the year 1854, and in February, 1855, he came to New Zealand, and landed in Nelson. A few weeks later, he removed to the Wairau, was employed for years at the rough work incidental to a pioneering life; but in the close of the fifties, in conjunction with a brother, he took up a section of 150 acres of excellent cropping land near Blenheim. Subsequently, the partnership was dissolved, but Mr. McCallum has carried on farming till advanced in life. “Watcrlea” has been devoted chiefly to
agriculture, and the homestead is one of the finest in the neighbourhood. Mr. McCallum has had five sons and four daughters. His third son, Archibald, is president of the Marlborough Agricultural and Pastoral Association, and his fourth son, Richard, is a barrister, and Crown Prosecutor, at Blenheim. (Mr. McCallum died some time after this article was in type; namely, on the 29th of November, 1905.)
“Oakfield,” Blenheim. Mr. McCallum is the second son of the late Mr. Donald McCallum, and was born in November, 1831, in Glasgow, Scotland, where he was educated and learned farming. Mr. McCallum went to Geelong, Victoria, Australia, in the year 1854, and came to New Zealand in May of the following year. For a few months he worked in Nelson, and then went to Blenheim, where he was employed at sawing and bush-felling, and subsequently, in conjunction with his brother, was engaged in farming. Later on, however the partnership was dissolved and Mr. McCallum has since farmed on his own account. “Oakfield” is situated on the northern boundary of Blenheim
and consists of seventy-five acres of rich agricultural land. Mr. McCallum is married, and has three sons and two daughters.
(George Turner Seymour, lessee), Blenheim. Since 1896, Mr. Seymour has leased 19,000 acres of the Meadowbank estate. He grazes 7000 Merino sheep, the original stock of which was imported by his father from Mr. Rutherford's Leslie Hills station, Canterbury, and the clip has averaged as high as eight and three-quarter pounds persheep. Upon taking up the lease, Mr. Seymour personally superintended the laying of poisoned pollard, for the extermination of rabbits, and his leasehold is now practically free from the pest. So well and carefully was the poison placed that not a single sheep was lost. Mr. Seymour employs two horse teams, and has gone in largely for turnip growing; some years he crops about 200 acres.
Mr. George Turner Seymour
, eldest son of Mr. A. P. Seymour, Picton, was born at “Tyntesfield,” Wairau. He was educated at Nelson College, and also studied for two years at Lincoln College, Canterbury. Mr. Seymour acted as manager of “Tyntesfield” from 1885 till 1893, when he took up his present holding. He is a prominent man
in rowing circle, and rowed stroke for the New Zealand representative crew against the Australian colonies in 1896. Mr. Seymour is also associated with the Marlborough Hunt Club.
Murdoch, Alexander Grant,
Farmer, Omaka Estate, near Blenheim. Mr. Murdoch owns 300 acres, half of which consists of downs, and the balance is flat land. He farms about eighty acres, and also depastures sheep of the Lincoln and Merino cross. Mr. Murdoch acquired his property at the time the Hawkesbury estate was cut up in 1896, and since then he has made valuable improvements, which include a comfortable residence. Mr. Murdoch was born in Aberdeenshire, Scotland, in 1854, and came to Otago by the ship “E. P. Bouverie,” in 1870. Subsequently, he was contract ploughing on the Levels station in Canterbury. He removed to Marlborough in 1880, and worked for Mr. Charles Goulter till he bought his present property. Mr. Murdoch is a forester, and a member of the Hawkesbury school committee.
Farmer, Blenheim, Mr. O'Donoghue, who resides on Dillon's Point Road, Blenheim, is the proprietor of “Green Hill,” an extensive farm of nearly 1500 acres in the Blind River settlement. This property was acquired by its present owner in the year 1899, and consists of undulating country, suitable for both agriculture and pasturage, and is one of the tinest holdings in the district. It carries at present (1905) about 1350 sheep, and grows about 300 acres of crops. Mr. O'Donoghue has also seventy-five acres of freehold land on Dillon's Point Road. Mr. O'Donoghue was born in August, 1841, at Mallagh, Ireland, and was brought up to farming on his father's property. At eighteen years of age, he went to America, farmed for a few years, and then returned to England, where he learned the plastering trade. Later on, Mr. O'Donoghue returned to America, and was engaged in farming, and in the year 1877 came to New Zealand, and landed in Wellington. He then went to Blenheim, and farmed in various parts of the Wairau Plains before taking up his present property. Mr. O'Donoghue is married, and has three sons and seven daughters.
Messrs Onion Brothers
(Gregory Onion, Edwin Joseph Onion, and Henry Onion), Farmers, Blenheim. Messrs Onion Brothers took up their present property in the year 1900. The farm is situated on the eastern border of the borough and consists of 150 acres of first-class agricultural land. It is highly improved, and is devoted almost entirely to grain crops.
Mr. Gregory Onion
, Senior Partner of Messrs Onion Brothers, was born in the Wairau Valley, in the year 1864, and is the eldest son of the late Mr. Edmund Onion. He was educated at the public school at the Wairau Valley, and subsequently, up to the date of joining his brothers in the present partnership, was engaged in general farming in various parts of the province. Mr. Onion is a member of
the local branch of the Farmers' Union. He is married, and has two sons.
Mr. Edwin Joseph Onion
, of Messrs Onion Brothers, is the fifth
son of the late Mr. Edmund Onion. He was born in April, 1873, in the Wairau Valley, was educated at the public school there, and subsequently,
until joining his brothers, was employed at general farming. chiefly with his father. Mr. Onion is a member of the local branch of the Farmers' Union. He is married, and has one son, and one daughter.
, Dillon's Point Road, near Blenheim, is a compact, and fertile property of 225 acres, intersected by the Opawa river. It was first taken up by the late Mr. Charles Lucas in the early days, and was farmed by him for many years. Later on, it was acquired by his son, Mr. J. S. Lucas, who has since conducted the property on his own account. The tarm consists of rich agricultural land, and is devoted to the cultivation of root crops and cereals.
Mr. Joseph Samuel Lucas
, the proprietor of Opawa Farm, was born in Nelson in the year 1851, and is the eldest son of the late Mr. Charles Lucas. He was educated partly in Nelson, and partly in Blenheim, and was brought up to farm work with his father. Mr. Lucas afterwards bought Opawa Farm, and has since worked it on his own account. He is a member of the Marlborough Agricultural and Pastoral Association, in
which he takes a great interest. Mr. Lucas married Miss Alice Rankin, of Blenheim, in the year 1877, and has, surviving, three sons and two daughters.
The Riverlands Run
is conducted in conjunction with “Benopai” and several other extensive sheep runs situated in various parts of the province, by Messrs A. and R. J. Bell. It consists of 5,600 acres, situated about two miles to the south-east of Blenheim, and bounded on the north by the Opawa river, and on the south by the Ugbrooke station; the Marlborough racecourse is situated within the property, and was formerly part of the estate. “Riverlands” includes both hilly sheep grazing country and rich agricultural flats. A permanent flock of over 4000 sheep is depastured, and about 650 acres are annually placed under cultivation. The main south road runs close by the homestead.
Mr. Robert John Bell
, Managing Partner of the firm of Messrs W. Bell and Sons, is the fourth son of the late Mr. William Bell, and was born at sea in the ship “Champion of the Seas,” in which his parents emigrated, in August, 1860. He was educated in Nelson, brought up to sheepfarming, and worked in conjuction with his father until the latter's death in 1895, when, in partnership with his brother Adam, he took over the estate. Mr. Bell is chairman of the Wairau Hospital and Charitable Aid Board, vice-president of the Marlborough branch of the New Zealand Farmers Union, a member of the committee of the Marlborough Agricultural and Pastoral Association, of which he was president in 1901 and 1902, and a member of the Omaka Road Board. He married Miss Wastney, of Nelson, in the year 1896, and has three sons and one daughter.
Senior, Kegworth Farm, near Blenheim. Mr. Rose is one of the oldest of the surviving pioneer settlers. He was born at Kegworth Farm in Nottinghamshire, England, in the year 1835, lived as a boy at Hilton, near Derby, and was educated
at Etwall. After leaving school, he was brought up to farming on his father's estate. Mr. Rose left for New Zealand in October, 1857, and landed in Nelson on the 12th of February, 1858. He afterwards worked for about twelve months on Mr. H. Redwood's property, went to the Wairau, leased the Junction Farm near Blenheim, and successfully conducted it for many years in conjunction with his brother, the late Mr. Joseph Rose. In the year 1870, Mr. Rose acquired his present farm, “Kegworth,” and in more recent years has purchased two adjacent properties situated between the old and middle Renwick roads, comprising in all 379 acres of the richest agricultural land in the Wairau. His land grows cereals, root crops, etc., to perfection, and over 5000 bushels of peas were produced in 1904. The proprietor is assisted by three of his sons, two of whom are married, and live in residences of their own on different parts of the farms. Mr. Rose is one of the original members of the Wairau River Board, was also for some years a member of the Omaka Road Board, and has been a member of the committee of the Marlborough Agricultural and Pastoral Association. He married a daughter of the late Mr. Isaac Gifford,
of Spring Creek, in September, 1866, and has four sons and seven daughters.
Rose, John Wallis,
“Roseneath,” part of Kegworth Farm, near Blenheim. Mr. Rose is the eldest son of Mr. John Rose, senior. he was born at the Junction Farm, not far from his present home, in the year 1871; was educated by a private tutor, and at the Blenheim Borough School; and has since assisted his
father on Kegworth Farm. Mr. Rose comes of a musical family, has a finetenor voice, and plays several musical instruments. He is choirmaster in the local Wesleyan church, and is a member of the Blenheim Orchestral Society. At the Marlborough exhibition, in 1904, he was awarded the prize as champion tenor singer. Mr. Rose married Miss Watson, of Blenheim, and has one son, and one daughter.
Old Renwick Road, near Blenheim. This farm was originally part of a large holding owned by Mr. Thomas Redwood, and was taken up by its present proprietor in the year 1887. For three years it was held on lease, but in 1890 Mr. Nicoll acquired the freehold. The property consists of forty acres of good agricultural land, and two springs close to the boundary furnish it with an unfailing supply of excellent water. The whole area is annually placed under crop, and the yield of chaff, which is almost the sole product of the farm, is about four tons per acre.
Mr. Charles Nicoll
, Proprietor of “The Springs,” was born in Nelson on the 9th of April, 1843, and is the eldest son of the late Mr. Charles Nicoll, a millwright, who arrived in Nelson by the “Fifeshire.” He was educated at various schools in Nelson, afterwards learned carpentry, and was for many years a building contractor in Christchurch, Wellington, Picton, and Blenheim. In 1887, Mr. Nicoll turned his attention to farming, which he has since successfully followed. He is married, and has six sons and three daughters. Two of his sons are in partnership in the produce trade, one residing in Wellington, and the other near Blenheim one is a building contractor, and another a journeyman carpenter, in Blenheim; a fifth is farming on his own account and the youngest is assisting his father at “The Springs.” Of the three daughters, one is the mistress of the Spring Creek public school, another is in business on her own account in Wellington, and the third is at home.
Farmer, Old Renwick Road, Blenheim. Mr. Thomson is a native of Stonehouse. Glasgow, Scotland, and is a son of the late Mr. Robert Thomson. He came out to New Zealand with his parents in the year 1855, when he was but a child of two years. Early in life, he decided to follow farming, and when
his father died, he took over the farm. Mr. Thomson married, in 1874, and has a family of four sons and one daughter.
. This property consists of 13,000 acres, and is situated in the Awatere district, about seven miles from Blenheim. Ugbrooke overlooks the sea, and faces the Dashwood Pass Road for six or seven miles. Ugbrooke and Vernon were originally taken up by the late Mr. Henry Redwood (father of the present Mr. H. Redwood), who lived at Vernon, and who was well-known to the early pioneers of Marlborough and Nelson. In 1880 the property was acquired by the Hon. William Clifford, from whose family the present owner, Mr. H. D. Vavasour, purchased the freehold, comprising 8000 acres of low-lying hills and 5000 acres of first-class agricultural land. The whole of the estate is fenced, wire-netted and subdivided into convenient paddocks. Of the agricultural area, 600 acres are cropped annually-300 acres in white crops, and 300 acres in rape and turnips; and wheat yields from 30 to 40 bushels, barley from 30 to 70 bushels, and oats 50 to 80 bushels an acre-all of excellent quality. Cocksfoot, red clover, and other grass-seeds are cultivated, and after three or four crops are taken from the soil, it is laid down in grass. The practice of breaking up 350 acres of new ground every year is observed. At present, about 11,000 sheep are depastured on the station; the breed is a half-bred Lincoln-Merino cross, into which a Shropshire strain for freezing purposes has
been introduced of late years. The clip averages £10/1/2 lbs. per fleece, and the Ugbrooke lambs are noted as being second to none in quality for freezing purposes. Considerable improvements have of late been made on the station, including the erection of outbuildings, fencing, etc. From eight to ten men find constant employment on the estate. The homestead is admirably situated, the view being second to none in New Zealand. Tapuaenuka is visible also the Kaikoura ranges, anu on clear days Pencarrow Heads can be seen. Altogether, Ugbrooke is a valuable, well-managed, ond beautiful estate.
Mr. Henry Dunstan Vavasour
, Owner of Ugbrooke, bought the property in 1897. He has been associated with stations since 1871, when he was appointed manager of Flaxbourne estate, which he managed for two years. During 1874–82, he was engaged in farming and breeding pedigree Shorthorn
cattle in the Taranaki district; after which he had permanent charge of Flaxbourne till 1897, a period of fifteen years. When he took over the management in 1882, the run was scabby, and the rabbits were as thick as tussocks; but in two years Mr. Vavasour obtained a clean certificate for the eradication of scab. In 1882, the Flaxbourne wool clip was 450 bales; during Mr. Vavasour's management the quantity of wool increased every year, and when he relinquished the position the clip was 1150 bales, with an average of eight pounds and three-quarters, and the rabbits had been practically exterminated. Mr. Vavasour was born in Yorkshire, England, and is the descendant of an old Saxon family, whose estates are in that county. He was educated at Oscott College, Birmingham, and brought up to farming, and came to New Zealand, via America, in 1871. Mr. Vavasour is a keen sportsman, and has, at all times, taken a prominent part in local government, and in all things tending to promote the welfare of the province. He married a daughter of Mr. Thomas Redwood, of Blenheim.
The Vernon Run
is situated about eight miles to the south-east of Blenheim, in the south-eastern corner of the Wairau Plain, and is bounded on one side by the sea. It is one of the oldest sheep runs in Marlborough, and was first taken up in the forties by the late Mr. Redwood, and acquired by Mr. John Greenfield, the present proprietor in the year 1900. “Vernon” consists of 5,240 acres, and carries about 2,500 sheep. The homestead was originally built by the late Mr. Redwood, and commands a splendid view of Cloudy Bay.
Mr. John Greenfield
, Proprietor of the Vernon run, was born in Wellington, in September, 1875, and is the only son of the late Mr. Robert Mackay Greenfield, of the firm of Messrs Greenfield and Stewari, timber merchants, and sash and door manufacturers. He was educated at the Wellington College, was afterwards employed on various sheep stations in various parts of New Zealand and Australia, and subsequently acquired “Vernon” in 1900. Mr. Greenfield is vice-president of the Acclimatisation Society, is a member of the Racing Club committee, a member of the Agricultural and Pastoral Association, a director of the Marlborough Brewery and Aerated Water Company, and of the Marlborough Dairy Company.
, Old Renwick Road, near Blenheim. This farm was originally part of Mr. Thomas Redwood's well known property, and was acquired by the present owner in five sections of various sizes. Its total area is 165, acres, and the greater part of this is rich, agricultural land. Paul's Island, an area of 128 acres, situated between the old bed and the new course of the Opawa river, is embraced in the farm; a small portion of which is light and stony. “Woodlands” is devoted almost entirely to the cultivation of wheat and oats, and some excellent crops are grown.
Mr. Charles Christian Peter Hammerich
, Proprietor of Woodlands Farm, is of German extraction. He was born on board the ship “Maori” in which his parents emigrated to New Zealand, on the 2nd of August, 1855, and is a son at the late Mr. Franz Hammerich, who farmed for many years in the Moutere district, Nelson. Mr. Hammerich was educated at the Moutere public school, and brought up as a farmer. He removed to the Wairau in the year 1873, and, after two years spent in flaxmilling, took up general farm work. In 1889, he acquired the first section of his property, consisting of ten acres, which he tilled in his spare time, between periods of wage-earning on neighbouring farms, and gradually added to it as his means would permit.
By this method he was able, in time, to relinquish outside work, and to devote himself entirely to the cultivation of his own property; and now, after repeated purchases of small blocks, he possesses the freehold title of one of the most profitable farms in the neighbourhood. Mr. Hammerich married Miss Dalziel, in the year 1893, and has two sons and three daughters.
comprises 7500 acres of freehold, all downs, and 28,400 acres of leasehold land. It is situated on the Awatere river, sixty-four miles from Blenheim, and twelve miles from Molesworth. The property is bounded on the east by the Awatere river, on the west by “Hillersden,” on the south by “Upcot,” and on the south by “Molesworth.” “Langridge” is over 2000 feet above the sea level, and was taken up by Mr. Thomas Ward in 1851, held for a short time, and bought by Mr. W. H. Eyes, who sold it to Monro Brothers in 1853, and for many years it remained in the hands of the Monro family. Early in 1899, it was acquired by the present owners, Messrs Walker and Thompson. From 8000 to 9000 Merino sheep are depastured
and the flock is considered one of the best in the Awatere. The average clip is eight pounds and a half per fleece. “Langridge” is all ringfenced and convemently subdivided; thirty-five miles of fencing and seven miles of wire-netting have been erected. There is ample water supply, and creeks in every paddock. Two thousand acres are fit for the plough, and grass-seed for the high country and crops for station use are grown. The locality is very healthy, and there is an absence of foot-rot and other sheep diseases. The Molesworth mail coach passes the estate.
Mr. Rudolph Walker
, of “Langridge,” was born in Forfarshire, Scotland. After receiving his education at the Dundee High School, he was articled to land engineering, which he followed for seven years. Mr. Walker came to New Zealand in 1898, and resided a short time at “Avondale” before taking up “Langridge.”
Mr. Edward Thompson
, of Langridge is a native of Hampshire, England, and was educated at Sherbourne School. He followed farming in the Old Country, and came to New Zealand in 1892. Mr. Thompson resided in Hawker's Bay for some time, and
spent five years on “Avondale” and “Benopai.”