Mr. Charles Lucas
, formerly proprietor of Opawa Farm, at Dillon's Point Road, and one of the pioneer
The late Mr. C. Lucas and Mrs Lucas.
settlers in the district, was born in Bristol, England, in the year 1820. He came to New Zealand in early manhood, by the ship “Olympus,” and landed at Nelson. For several years Mr. Lucas carried on a large business as one of the first storekeepers in Nelson, and about the year 1859 he went to Marlborough, where he acquired the Opawa Farm. During the latter years of his life, he lived at Grove Road, Blenheim, where he died in the year 1899