Mr. William Pike
, sometime of “The Laurels,” Blenheim, was born in Devonshire, England, on the 1st of December, 1829. He learned gardening, and became, at an early age, overseer for Mr. George Neumann. Mr. Pike
afterwards resigned that position in order to come to New Zealand, where two of his brothers-in-law—Messrs Davies Brothers, builders—had been for some time settled in Blenheim. On arriving in Blenheim, he immediately took up a farm of 150 acres on the south-eastern border of the town, which subsequently became known as “The Laurels.” Mr. Pike afterwards took his sons into business with him, and conducted it, during the latter years of his life, under the title of Messrs W. Pike and Sons. Since his death, two of his sons, Messrs W. D. Pike and T. Pike, have carried on the work under the same title. Mr. Pike was married for some years before he left the Old Country, and had four sons and four daughters, of whom the four sons and one of the daughters are still living. His widow, seventy-six years of age, still (1905) resides in Blenheim.