Mr. Thomas Redwood
, J. P., of Blenheim, is one of the earliest and best known colonists in Marlborough, and comes of a family distinguished for its pioneering work in the Nelson and Marlborough provinces. He was born in Staffordshire. England, in the
year 1833, and is the third son of the late Mr. Henry Redwood, for many years proprietor of Stafford Place station, in Nelson, and a pioneer runholder in Marlborough. For a few years Mr. Redwood attended school
at Upper Hanyard, in Staffordshire, and at Tixall College; but as he came to New Zealand with his parents in one of the first ships in 1842, he completed his education under Mr. Ward, of Nelson. He was then brought up to general farm work, and the management of stock, as his father was about the first successful agriculturist in the Nelson province. In 1848, Mr. Redwood went with a flock of sheep to the Wairau, and returned soon after. Four years later, however, he went to manage. Bank House station for his father, who held it on lease from Dr. Monro, and after three years of highly successful work, he took up a similar position on the Vernon run, which he managed for his father until 1876. Earlier in the seventies, Mr. Redwood bought “Burleigh” from Mr. James Balfour Wemyss, then Provincial Secretary for Marlborough, and lived on the estate for twenty-three years. Shortly after the close of that period, he sold the property, and then, in turn, farmed “Woodburne,” an area of 1200 acres, near Renwicktown, and the Omaka Reserve. In 1900, however, Mr. Redwood met with an accident that compelled him to retire, and has since lived at “Southside,” in Blenheim. For some years, in the early days, he was a member of the Provincial Council Executive, and has been a member of the Wairau Licensing Committee. He was also for some time secretary to the Marlborough Racing Committee, and subsequently owned superior horses, with which he won many races, including the Marlborough and Wellington Cups, and the Christchurch Derby in 1866. Mr. Redwood married Miss C.E. Grimstone, in May, 1863, and has five sons and seven daughters.