Mr. William J. White
was for some years postmaster at Kekerangu,
where he entered upon his duties on the 6th of May, 1889. He is the son of Mr. William White, of Richmond, who arrived at Nelson in the ship “Bolton,” in 1842. Mr. White was born in 1843, and is, therefore, one of the first Nelsonians. While still young he removed to Marlborough, and was employed for about eleven years at “Upton Downs,” and on other stations. On the 1st of February, 1875, he joined the Post and Telegraph Departments at Blenheim, where he was for twelve months, and then removed to Top House, Nelson, where he was in charge for thirteen years. Mr. White was then removed to Havelock North temporarily, and subsequently entered on his duties at Kekerangu. He has retired from the public service, and now (1905) lives in Blenheim.