The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Nelson, Marlborough & Westland Provincial Districts]
Mr. William Bell
Mr. William Bell was born in the year 1818, in Dumfriesshire, Scotland, where he was educated, and was brought up as a farmer. In 1860, he went to Queensland, Australia, in the ship “Champion of the Seas,” and for about seven years was employed as a station manager. Mr. Bell then came to New Zealand in 1867, in the “Kate Waters,” a cattle barque, and for a few years he leased the Hillwood Farm, at Wakapuaka, in Nelson. In the early seventies, he removed to Marlborough, and took up the Erina run, in the Wairau Valley. This he sold ten years later, and purchased the Benopai run, and shortly afterwards the St. Leonards Farm, both of which he conducted until his death. Mr. Bell was one of the most successful farmers in the province, and was much respected. He died in July, 1895, leaving four sons and three daughters.