Mr. Caleb Davies
is one of the oldest residents in Blenheim. He was born in July, 1827, at Hethel, near the town of Newport, in Shropshire, England, where his father, a builder by trade, was then engaged with others
in the erection of Lillishall Hall, one of the seats of the Duke of Sutherland. Mr. Davies was educated in a small private school at Sherifales, and afterwards learned carpentry. In the early part of 1858, he came to New Zealand, and landed in Nelson. Three months later, in company with his brother, Mr. Davies went to Blenheim, where he has since continuously resided. He established himself as a builder, in conjunction with his brother, the firm being known as Messrs Davies Brothers, and built most of the earlier residences in the town. Later on, however, the partnership was dissolved, and Mr. Caleb Davies conducted the business on his own account, until a few years ago, when he retired. He owns considerable property in Blenheim, and his residence is situated on the left bank of the Omaka river. Mr. Davies was a member of the first road board in the district, and was for nearly ten years a member of the Wairau River Board.