Mr. William Benjamin Earll
, who was one of the earliest settlers in Marlborough, came to New Zealand by the ship “Iguana,” in 1856. He was born at Oxford, Essex, England, on the 5th of October, 1831, and followed a seafaring life from an early age. Mr. Earll married in the year in which he came to New Zealand. Shortly after landing he moved to Blenheim, where he joined the local police force, of which he was one of the first members. He was also one of the first to open an accommodation house at the
Awatere, where he successfully conducted one for six years. After that he moved into the township of Blenheim, where he opened the first livery stable on the site of the present police station. His premises were burnt down, and he chose as a second site a section in Grove Road, where business increased so much that the present site in Alfred Street was chosen, and substantial buildings erected, to meet the demands of customers. Later on, Mr. Earll admitted into partnership Mr. McKenzie, has adopted son. Mr. Earll's death, which took place on the 5th of October, 1894, was due to heart disease. He left the whole of his property to Mr. McKenzie, with a life interest in the estate to his own widow. Mr. Earll always took an active part in everything
conducive to the welfare of the province. He brought out Mr. T. L. Buick, whom he so successfully “fathered” at his advent in the political arena. For three years Mr. Earll sat on the Borough Council, and proved an honest, hard-working member. He took a leading part in Freemasonry, and was associated with the Order from its introduction in Marlborough.