The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Nelson, Marlborough & Westland Provincial Districts]
The Hokitika Charge of the Presbyterian Church
The Hokitika Charge of the Presbyterian Church was founded in the year 1866. Services were conducted by the Rev. J. Hall for about six months before the first resident minister (the Rev. J. Gow) was appointed. The distriet extends from the Teremakau river, in the north, to Jackson's Bay, in the south, and from the sea coast to the hills, and includes Ross and Kumara, where home missionaries are now in charge. The church in Stafford Street was opened on the first Sunday in February, 1867. It stands in two acres of ground, and is capable of seating 320 persons. There are two Sunday schools connected with the church, one of which is at Arahura. The church is a substantial wooden building, with a prominent spire. The manse is a convenient residence, and stands on part of the church site.