The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Nelson, Marlborough & Westland Provincial Districts]
Goldsborough is a mining township, situated on the Waimea creek, ten miles north-east of Hokitika, and about eight miles from Kumara, in the Arahura riding of the county of Westland, and in the electorate and provincial district of Westland. the nearest railway station is called Stafford, and is distant five miles and a-half to the south-east, or three miles and ahalf beyond the township of Stafford. During the sixties Golds-borough had a population of from 1000 to 1200 persons, who were employed chiefly in goldminig; but at the census of 1901, the population had decreased to 146. Gold of good quality has always been obtained in the district, and during the early days two banks had branches in the township, and did a prosperous business. A considerable amount of sluicing is still carried on, and water is obtained from the Government water races. About the year 1900 Goldsborough was destroyed by fire; and, latterly, owing to the encroachments of the river, the houses in the lower part of the settlement have had to be removed. Services are conducted in the local churches of the Anglican and Roman Catholic bodies, and there is an excellent State school in the township, with an average attendance of twenty-eight children. Goldsborough has two hotels, and the business of the post office is conducted at one of the local stores. The old postal district of Big Dam is now (1905) included in Goldsborough. The roads in the district are fair, and the coach from Hokitika and Stafford passes daily to Kumara. The courthouse and police station at Stafford are sufficient for the requirements of the settlement.
The Goldsborough Post Office and Telephone Bureau is domiciled in the store of Mr. S. Stuart, where Money Order and Savings Bank and Government Life Insurance business is also transacted. Mails arrive from, and are despatched to, Christ-church twice weekly, and there is a daily mail service with Kumara and Hokitika.
Mr. J. Dolph.
The Government Water Race , Goldsborough. Water from this race is supplied for sluicing at Golds-borough and at Callaghan's. There are seven miles of race, and a large storage dam. There is a gauger in charge, with an assistant for repair work, etc. The race is under the control of Mr. John Rochford, overseer of the Government water races, Kumara.
Mr. William Martin Reid was appointed Sub-Manager and Gauger of the Government Water Race, Golds-borough, in April, 1903. He was born at Greymouth, in the year 1876, was educated at Maori Creek, and at fifteen years of age started work on the Kumara Water Race. After a period of eleven years he was appointed to his present position. Mr. Reid is a member of the Albert Lodge of Oddfellows, Manchester Unity, Kumara, and has gone through all the chairs. When in Kumara, he was a member of the Kumara Rifles, and of the Kumara Catholic Band.