Artist and Photographer, Mawhera Quay, Greymouth. Established 1880. Bankers, Bank of New South Wales. Private residence, Tainui Street. The studio is a twostoried building, situated in the principal thoroughfare, and is undoubtably one of the best equipped in the Middle Island. Mr. Ring's superior work and finish have obtained for him a very wide patronage. He sent a fine specimen of his work to the Colonial and Indian Exhibition, held in London in the year 1866, and gained a medal for artistic beauty, excellence of finish, and general softness of work. His views of New Zealand are surpassed by those of no other firm in the colony, and the collection is in every way replete. Some of his productions in the pages of the Cyclopedia speak for themselves. Mr. Ring was born in London, England, where he was educated, and brought up as an artist. He went to America, and for some time was a diligent student, in the famous studio of Messrs Allen and Rowell, Boston, and gained an extensive knowledge of photography in its varied branches. Mr. Ring came to New Zealand in 1879, in the ship “Pleione,” and landed at Wellington, where he set himself up in Molesworth Street; but owing to illhealth he went to the West Coast, where he established his studio in 1880. He is a church worker, and has been superintendent of the Presbyterian
Sunday school for over twenty years. He is also a member of the school committee.