The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Nelson, Marlborough & Westland Provincial Districts]
Fuel Trade — Kennedy, John James,
Kennedy, John James, Coal Merchant and Carrier, Hospital Street, Greymouth. This business was established by the late Mr. Martin Kennedy, who died in the year 1904, and has since been conducted by the present proprietor. Mr. Kennedy's stables contain eight stalls and three loose boxes, and about eight horses and drays are employed in connection with the business. Mr. Kennedy had contracts for carting materials for the builders of the Roman Catholic church spire, and the Hospital wing, which were erected in 1905; also the contract for the new Town Hall, and carting for the Borough Council. He was born in June, 1872, in Greymouth, where he was educated, and was employed in connection with his father's business, which he acquired in 1904. Mr. Kennedy has been a member of the Greymouth Fire Brigade since 1895, and a member of the Catholic Band since its formation, and of the Order of Foresters since 1902. He married a daughter of the late Mr. W. Sullivan, page 571 of Stafford, West Coast, in the year 1899, and has three sons.
Standish and Preece, photo.
Mr. J. J. Kennedy.