The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Kaikora North is situated in Patangata county, thirty-six miles from Napier on the Wellington line of railway. Mails are received and despatched four times daily, and there are the usual postal and telegraphic facilities. The district is devoted to farming, and there are several large sheep stations between Kaikora and the sea coast. Some of these stations are (1906) being surveyed by the Government, with the intention of cutting them up for closer settlement. The railway station is often a scene of great activity, as several thousands of sheep are frequently trucked from Kaikora North to other stations, or to the various freezing works. The local school has ninety scholars on the roll, with an average attendance of eighty-one. There are Anglican, Presbyterian, and Metodist churches at Kaikora North, also a public hall, stores, hotel, and a sheep-dip manufactory. The climate is warm, dry, and exceptionally healthy; there are good roads in the district, and good shooting and fishing can be obtained about seven miles distant.
Kaikora North Town Board . The annual rateable value of property in the town district is £2,091, on which a general rate of one shilling in the £ is levied. There are 112 ratepayers and a population of 268. Meetings of the Board are hold on the first Friday in each month. Members of the Board for the year 1907: Messrs Albert Knight (chairman), James Clark, George Clark, William White, and A. V. Collins. Mr. J. C. Taylor is clerk of the Board.
Mr. George Clark, who is a member of the Kaikora North Town Board, is a native of Hampshire, England. After receiving his education, he followed various commercial pursuits. He came to New Zealand in the year 1879, landed at Napier, and was engaged in farming at Ta-mumu until 1882, when he established himself in business as a general storekeeper in Kaikora. Mr. Clark is married, and has two sons and two daughters.
Mr. Charles Clark, the first chairman of the Kaikora Town Board, is a native of Kirkcudbright, Scotland. After receiving his education, he followed various commercial pursuits in Glasgow for five years. He came to New Zealand in the year 1859, landed at Auckland, and shortly afterwards removed to Napier. Mr. Clark was in the Hawke's Bay militia until 1863, when he went to Waipawa. He then took up his present property of 400 acres, and has been farming in the district ever since. In public matters he has always promoted the welfare of the township. He is a member of the Patangata Road Board, of which he has been chairman on several occasions, and is chairman of the school committee. He has been an Oddfellow for over twenty-five years. Mr. Clark married a daughter of the late Mr. John Stephen, one of Napier's old settlers, and has nine children.
Railway Hotel (P. Scrimgeour, proprietor), Kaikora North. This hotel was first established about the year 1876, by Mr. A. Mundle. It was subsequently burnt down, and was rebuilt by Mr. John Pettit. It was again rebuilt in 1894 by Mr. F. Rob-johns, was afterwards acquired by the Napier Brewing Company, and then taken over by the present proprietor in 1901. The hotel has two entrances from the street, and on the ground floor there are two sitting rooms, a private sitting room, several bedrooms, and a dining room, capable of accommodating twenty guests. On the first floor are seven bedrooms, a bathroom, and a comfortable sitting room, and the whole building is provided with fire escapes. The hotel is comfortably furnished throughout, and every attention is paid to the wants of guests. It is a popular house of call for country residents, the tariff is moderate, and the cuisin moderate, and the cuisine good, and the bar is supplied with the best wines and liquors.
Clark, George, General Storekeeper and Provision Merchant, Kaikora North. Agent for the South British Insurance Company. Mr. Clark established his business in 1882, and it is one of the most flourishing in the district. An extensive stock of goods of all kinds is kept. Mr. Clark is further referred to as a member of the Kaikora North Town Board.
Mr. G. Clark's Premises.
Mr. R. Evans.
Hastie, William, Sheep-farmer, “Milbouirne,” Kaikora North. Mr. Hastie operates a freehold property of 600 acres, of first-class pastoral land, chiefly undulating country, of which 500 acres are ploughable. “Mil-bourne” carries two sheep to the acre, of Lincoln-Leicester breed, and provides good grazing for upwards of 100 head of short-horn cattle. The lambing averages 100 per cent. A small amount of cropping is also carried on, chiefly for home use. “Milbourne” is up-to-date in every respect, is situated three and a quarter miles from the Kaikora North post office, and contains one of the finest dwelling houses in the district. Mr. Hastie is a native of County Down, Ireland, and emigrated to Australia in 1854, in the ship “Red Jacket.” He visited the goldfields for a short time, but subsequently devoted his attention to sheep-farming and station life. In 1876 Mr. Hastie came to New Zealand in the ship “Alhambra,” landing in Nelson. He then went to Hawke's Bay, where he was appointed manager of “Milbourne,” the property of Messrs Stokes Brothers, a position he retained until the estate was acquired by the Government for closer settlement. When manager of the original Milbourne station, Mr. Hastie exhibited specimens of wool at the Paris Exposition and the New Zealand and South Seas Exhibition, for which he received three handsome certificates of award. When the property was divided Mr. Hastie secured the original homestead block, where he has since resided. He has been a member of the Ruataniwha Road Board, and is a mem-ber of the Hawke's Bay Agricultural and Pastoral Society, the Farmers' Union, the Hunt Club, the Jockey Club, and the Hastings Club. He married a daughter of Mr. B. Hall, of Ballarat, Australia, in 1877.
Mr. J. Knight.
Nilsson, George William, Sheep-farmer, “Llanilo,” Kaikora North. Mr. Nilsson was born in Eketahuna, in the year 1879, and was educated in the local school. After spending a short time on his father's farm, he moved farther afield in order to gain more experience. He was for some time employed in grass seeding on Bank's Peninsula, and then travelled the Waikato and Wanganui distriets in quest of land. After a nine months pleasure trip to Australia he returned to New Zealand, and found work in the Wairarapa. In 1903. when the Milbourne estate was cup up by the Government for closer settlement, Mr. Nilsson entered an application for, and was successful in gaining his present property under a lease in perpetuity. “Llanillo” consists of 994 acres, about 600 acres of which are ploughale, and splendid crops of oats, rape, and turnips have been obtained. The stock inclades 1,500 Romney-Marsh cross-bred sheep and 140 head of shorthorn cattle. Lambing averages about eighty percent. A stream runs through the property, and there is a comfortable dwelling house and several substantial outbuilding.
Tod, James, Sheep-farmer, “The Park,” Kailora North. Mr. Tod's property consists of 1,242 acres, and carries 3,000 sheep and fifty-one head of cattle. “The Park” was originally a protion of the Homewood estate, and since its purchase by Mr. Tod, considerable improvements have been effected, including the building of a pretty homestead, and the planting of ornamental and shelter trees. Mr. Tod was born in Fifeshire, Scotland, where he was educated and brought up to commercial pursuits, and was for some years subsequently in an bank. He came to New Zealand in a bank. He came to New Zealand in the ship “Rangoon,” in 1864, and landed at Napier, where he followed landed at Napier, where he followed commercial pursuits until taking up his present property over twenty-five years ago. Mr. Tod was a member of the Napier Volunteers, and was present at the engagement at Omaranui. He was chairman of the first Patangata Road Board, and was a member of the old school committee during the days of the Provincial Government. He is married, and has three sons and one daughter.
Mr. J. Tod.