The New Zealand Railways Magazine, Volume 1, Issue 6 (October 24, 1926)
Locomotive Branch Notes — Workshops
Locomotive Branch Notes
Otahuhu.—Awaiting the acceptance of tenders, the levelling of the site is being pushed ahead.
Hutt Valley.—The preparation of the site for the shops is being proceeded with in readiness for the contractors. The tender of Messrs. Sir William Arrol and Company, London and Glasgow, through Messrs. Cory-Wright and Salmon, Ltd., Wellington, has been accepted for the structural portions of the buildings.
Addington.—The demolition of the welding shop and clearance of sites is well under way. About one half of the timber rack foundations have been laid.
Hillside.—Tenders for building do not close until 1st November, but in the meantime the site is being prepared.
Workshops Electrification.—Tenders for Hillside motors are being considered and tenders for the power house equipment for same shop are now being called.
Workshop Machinery.—Specifications for the second year's allotment of machinery under the workshops improvement scheme, including travelling cranes, traversers, etc., are in the hands of the printer.
Rolling Stock.—One class “Ab” locomotive, one class “Wab” locomotive, two bogie wagons and six four-wheel wagons have been turned out of the shops.
Rail Cars.—The “Sentinel” steam car has been sent to Frankton Junction for service between that station and Thames.
It has been decided to fit up one of the sleeping cars under construction at Petone for the use of His Royal Highness the Duke of York for the North Island Tour. This car will be altered to a sleeping car after the Royal visit. A new Ministerial car is in hand for the South Island. This car will be available for the use of His Royal Highness on the South Island tour.