The New Zealand Railways Magazine, Volume 4, Issue 9 (January 1, 1930)
On 4th January, 1831, the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad announced that they would pay four thousand dollars for the most approved engine which should be delivered for trial on the road on, or before 1st June, 1831, and thirty-five hundred dollars for the next best engine. Four engines were entered in the competition which was won by the “York,” designed by Phineas Davis and built by the firm of Davis & Gartner, at York, Pa. The “York,” which weighed three and a half tons, had a vertical boiler and cylinders, with connections to trussed horizontal bars coupled to cranks on the axles of the four wheels. The wheels were of cast iron, and 30 inches in diameter.
(From “The Development of the Locomotive” published by The Central Steel Company, Massillon, Ohio, U.S.A.).