Life in Early Poverty Bay
Legacy Leads to Land in Poverty Bay
Legacy Leads to Land in Poverty Bay.
While at work on the bridge, Mr. Thelwall received word of a legacy of £1000, and decided to purchase an interest in the Parker family's run at Turanga. Early in 1866, therefore, Mr William Parker and Robert Thelwall set out for their new home. The party left Napier in the schooner Ringleader, and were taken right up to the corner of their property, their landing place being the point, the junction of the rivers, near the Wm. Pettie bridge. Then for the first time Mr. Thelwall saw the property in which he had secured an interest. It comprised over 24,000 acres, roughly all the land between the Taruheru and the Waimata rivers, and extending some twelve of fifteen miles up the Taruheru. All the land now known as the suburb of Whataupoko was included in the block, which extended back almost as far as the Waimata settlement. It was a Native lease, for 21 years, and was considered first-class land, being all scrub, fern and swamp.