Journal of the Nelson and Marlborough Historical Societies, Volume 1, Issue 1, October 1981
On the lower corner of Queen Street and Gladstone Road stands the Railway Hotel, second of the two remaining hotels in Richmond today. It was erected in 1886. later than the others, near the Railway Station. The dining room with chairs for seating fifteen people had folding doors making it possible to enlarge the space to almost double. Saleyards erected on land adjacent to the hotel were the venue for stock sales for the Waimea until the late 1940's.
Mr J. A. Harley was the owner. Like the others it had many landlords over the years. Mr F. T. Lipscombe being the first, followed by A. H. Brind, Robert Disher, A. G. Hook, Alfred Mills in 1887, Felix Green 1888, George Moss 1891, Leon Simon 1893, Morgan O'Brien 1896, Thomas Newman 1897, Charles Mitchell 1898. At the present time it is under the management of Doris Mercer, in the original building.