The Pamphlet Collection of Sir Robert Stout: Volume 12
The New Market
The New Market.
The League lost no time in urging the erection of the Market-house. A letter was addressed to the Mayor respecting it, dated Sept. 18, 1871. His Worship courteously replied, mentioning the state of the matter, and expressing his willingness to receive any suggestions from the League as to the requirements which they considered necessary for the market. When the plans were prepared, the Mayor was good enough to submit them to the Chairman and two other members of the League. They attended the City Council, and expressed their approval of the plan, and suggested that the two front yards should be roofed over, so that loaded carts and produce might remain there under cover. At the commencement of the building, the League were invited to take part in the proceedings, and at the Opening on June 20th, a committee of the League co-operated with the City Council, at their request, in forming the arrangements respecting the Exhibition of Produce, Implements, &c. The League congratulate their friends and the public, that such a well-arranged and commodious structure has been erected, primarily for the benefit of the farming interests, and every way a credit to the Corporation and the town. The day of the Opening was a marked event in our local history; probably no other public occasion has called forth such a spontaneous, hearty, and sustained interest among all classes. It augurs well for the future, that all will heartily co-operate to secure success to this important undertaking.