Documents Relating to New Zealand's Participation in the Second World War 1939–45: Volume I
118 — The Prime Minister of Australia to the Prime Minister of New Zealand
The Prime Minister of Australia to the Prime Minister of New Zealand
The following is the text of the telegram sent to the Secretary of State for Dominion Affairs:
The Commonwealth Government, having regard to the deterioration of the Italian situation and the possibility of the [passage of] Australian and New Zealand convoys through the Red Sea becoming impracticable, propose that the embarkation of Australian troops for the third convoy, due to sail from Sydney on 5 May, should be postponed until the situation is clarified. Because of the difficulty of accommodating the New Zealand troops in Australia in the event of their being delayed here, the Commonwealth Government have suggested similar action to the New Zealand Government. It is considered preferable to postpone the embarkation instead of delaying the convoy with troops on board at an intermediate port. The present arrangements for the embarkation of the Australian troops will be temporarily postponed pending your advice.