Documents Relating to New Zealand's Participation in the Second World War 1939–45: Volume I
136 — The Prime Minister of New Zealand to the Prime Minister of Australia
The Prime Minister of New Zealand to the Prime Minister of Australia
Preliminary consideration has now been given to the Secretary of State's telegram of 4 May (No. 135). Some difficulty has been found in reconciling the statement contained in the Secretary of State's telegram of 30 April (No. 123) that ‘unless the situation shows marked improvement’ convoys US 2 and US 3 should be diverted, with the recommendation contained in the telegram now under consideration that ‘in the present circumstances diversion is unnecessary and that the convoys should adhere to their programme.’ However, we are content for our part to allow convoy US 3 to proceed as originally arranged, subject, firstly, to our being kept most closely informed as to developments as they occur; secondly, to the decision as to the ultimate destination being made by His Majesty's Government in New Zealand after considering the views of the Admiralty and of His Majesty's Government in the United Kingdom, and to our being given an opportunity at the appropriate page 104 time of making that decision with the full facts then available; and, thirdly, to our being satisfied as to the adequacy of the escort proposed, in case of diversion, from Capetown onwards, as to which we are at present not without doubt.