Royal New Zealand Air Force
Norfolk Island had originally been occupied by Australian troops and then by New Zealand Army units. It had never been necessary to use it as an operational base, but it was an important link in the lines of communication between New Zealand, Australia, and the South Pacific islands. New Zealand Air Force personnel had been stationed there since 1943, and in 1944 the RNZAF took over from the Army the responsibility for the island's defence. During the year the RNZAF maintained a radar station as a navigational aid and provided accommodation and servicing facilities for transit aircraft. An average of 150 planes a month staged through Norfolk.